Rumor: Mikheyev agent given permission to seek trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Buyout incoming. Better option that retaining 50% of adding a 2nd. He may have been the least effective player in his role in the entire league last year. A bucket placed in front of the net would not have gone 50 games without a goal while playing with Pettersson.
A buyout is a really poor option. Probably worst case.

The highest buyout cap hit years coincide with the largest cap hit years of the OEL buyout. They'd have $6+M in dead cap on the books, in years they're trying to contend, effectively wasting the surplus value they're getting from the remaining years on Demko and Hughes' contracts.

For them to upgrade the roster, it is imperative to get off the full freight of Mikheyev's cap hit this offseason. If they have to pay to do so, it's a necessary evil. Unfortunately this is one of the few significant mistakes of the Allvin era. I said as much at the time that signing Mikheyev was not smart.

Reactions: Tact

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Habs fan coming in peace.

Montreal would probably take on his full cap hit and toss in Ylonen for your 2025 1st rounder. Similar to what they did with Monahan in Calgary. I know it’s not ideal from the Canucks viewpoint but I’ll wager it’s more attractive than having 6 million tied up in player buy outs for two full years while attempting to contend.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Vancouver is just going through the motions to see if there is any sort of positive market for him.

They will gladly pay the draft pick to unload him if it means getting the UFAs they want. The top-six winger or top-four defenseman they would sign with that cap space is likely worth way more than the draft pick they would have to give up to move Mikheyev.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
I think if there’s no trade available for any type of value (not likely) they should try him on waivers first before trying to add assets to dump.

Reactions: CanMerc

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Would Vancouver retain?
Given what a buyout looks like, they'd be wise to retain between $1.5-2M if they don't take back any bad cap in a trade.

1718919327247.png

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
A buyout is a really poor option. Probably worst case.

The highest buyout cap hit years coincide with the largest cap hit years of the OEL buyout. They'd have $6+M in dead cap on the books, in years they're trying to contend, effectively wasting the surplus value they're getting from the remaining years on Demko and Hughes' contracts.

For them to upgrade the roster, it is imperative to get off the full freight of Mikheyev's cap hit this offseason. If they have to pay to do so, it's a necessary evil. Unfortunately this is one of the few significant mistakes of the Allvin era. I said as much at the time that signing Mikheyev was not smart.
A buyout costs them 1.5 for 4 years. It’s going to at least a 2nd, more likely a first to dump the full deal. Maybe even more.

With the cap looking like it’s going to keep going up, and a number of ELC players close or ready, is far rather have the draft capital and lose 1.5 in cap.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
A buyout costs them 1.5 for 4 years. It’s going to at least a 2nd, more likely a first to dump the full deal. Maybe even more.

With the cap looking like it’s going to keep going up, and a number of ELC players close or ready, is far rather have the draft capital and lose 1.5 in cap.
Wrong. In 25-26 the buyout hit is $2.15M, which as I said, coincides with the largest buyout hit of the OEL buyout.

"Rising cap" is a lazy excuse. The cap goes up for everyone. There is no competitive advantage. They'll be wasting $6+M in cap space in a season they need to be contending. If you want to punt the last season of Demko and Hughes' value contracts, that's certainly a take.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I wouldn't mind bringing him back if for no other reason then he can help with the PK which they need.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
I think it’s a 100% no brainer you move a pick or whatever you can to move on. Outside of the PK he was a complete non-factor.

Top 6 guys like Guentzel and Marchessault out there for the pickings come July? Screw the pick you made it to game 7 in round 2! Dump the trash.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
How many times has a player actually managed to find a way to trade themselves?

:laugh:

Basically just a precursor announcement to a buyout.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Marketing spin - empty net goals stand as evidence he was trusted to be put on the ice in the waning minutes of a playoff game to defend a slim lead.
That's great and all, but he's making 4.75 and literally cannot score on a goalie in the playoffs

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

I'd do it for a 2nd and 4th, but I want them in the 2026 draft.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
How many times has a player actually managed to find a way to trade themselves?

:laugh:

Basically just a precursor announcement to a buyout.

The agent trade pursuit is how a team gets around a NTC

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Ironic because Mikhayev is a Millstein client. Canucks want to move Mikhayev so they can have more room to sign another Millstein client..Zadorov.

Too bad he is not a centre, as we learned this week with PLD and Goodrow that centres could be moved despite the contract.

There's just soo many options at wing.

I think the Canucks will have to attach a 3rd rounder or a similar value prospect to move Mikhayev and his 2yrs at 4.75 mil AAV contract.

I do think that Mikhayev has a bounce back season though as he recovers from his knee injury. I think he can still be a very effective PKer that contributes 15-20 goals on the 3rd line.
Habs offer a B but still decent prospect for Canucks this year's 2nd?

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Wrong. In 25-26 the buyout hit is $2.15M, which as I said, coincides with the largest buyout hit of the OEL buyout.

"Rising cap" is a lazy excuse. The cap goes up for everyone. There is no competitive advantage. They'll be wasting $6+M in cap space in a season they need to be contending. If you want to punt the last season of Demko and Hughes' value contracts, that's certainly a take.
I don't like the buyout option much, but I don't think it is fair to just look at the penalty in isolation. If the alternative is having Mikheyev on the roster, then that's his $4.75M + OELs $4.5M buyout that is basically dead cap, for a total of $9.25M of wasted money. Obviously Mik isn't a 0 value player, but he'd have to perform like a $2.75M player to equal the competitiveness of the buyout roster ($6.5M in hypothetical dead cap.)

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I don't like the buyout option much, but I don't think it is fair to just look at the penalty in isolation. If the alternative is having Mikheyev on the roster, then that's his $4.75M + OELs $4.5M buyout that is basically dead cap, for a total of $9.25M of wasted money. Obviously Mik isn't a 0 value player, but he'd have to perform like a $2.75M player to equal the competitiveness of the buyout roster ($6.5M in hypothetical dead cap.)
That's not the only alternative. I'm saying that the Canucks, if they think they are contenders, should pay the price to move off the full freight of Mikheyev's cap hit.

Reactions: BluesyShoes

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Reilly Smith for Mikheyev make it happen. Pittsburgh can then go sign DeBrusk and/or Duclair for some much needed speed in that lineup.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
everyone is gonna poop on him here but he was really good before the ACL injury.
he was in on the forecheck hard, creating turnovers etc.
The ACL thing really derailed his career

Reactions: Brookbank

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
buyout in 3...2...
Not gonna happen. Ever. He's not buyout fodder bad. Despite him being the most recent Canucks than the fans turned on

everyone is gonna poop on him here but he was really good before the ACL injury.
he was in on the forecheck hard, creating turnovers etc.
The ACL thing really derailed his career
Yep. And it seemed like he knew it after it happened. He was almost crying in his interview after they shut him down last year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad