Player Discussion Mike Matheson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I have nothing bad to say about his point production he's been present.
I'm really only slightly peeved we haven't tried someone else given the overall lackluster results.
Who should have been tried? Barron? Guhle? Xhekaj? None of them are there yet imo.

Reactions: habbubba

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Who should have been tried? Barron? Guhle? Xhekaj? None of them are there yet imo.
We don't know that do we.
Guhle would be a far better option IMO. He's just better at everything except maybe skating.
The thing that bugs me most about Matheson is just how many plays die with him for a myriad of reasons.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
We don't know that do we.
Guhle would be a far better option IMO. He's just better at everything except maybe skating.
The thing that bugs me most about Matheson is just how many plays die with him for a myriad of reasons.
Guhle will get his chance but in the meantime we have a guy who can eat minutes and allow the kids some shelter while they develop.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Starting at the bottom floor we are on the 7th of 31 floors.
Once again what exactly is Matheson doing that everyone is so enamored with?
I'm not sure I've seen anyone "enamored" with him.

He's providing excellent value for a sub 5M$ vereran player. Seems like it's more of an issue with your expectations rather than his performance.

His numbers aren't moving the needle at all.
I haven't even looked at the shorties many of which he can be held directly responsible for.
There is absolutely no doubt in my mind we already have better options than Mike Matheson for PP1.
Neither are Suzuki's, Cole's, Guhle's or Dad's numbers.

The poor results aren't due to the top players in our lineup, it's the MB legacy anchors that are dragging this ship down.

It boggles my mind that we haven't tried any of them given how bad we have been for so long.

It boggles my mind that you can't understand why he's getting the minutes he is.
Context. Matters.

Reactions: habbubba

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
At least theres that. 50+ points and he was on the ice for 150+ against.

There's context tho

Matheson should never play in the position where he's at right now
He's a great second pair that can play on first pair, but he ain't some superstar
He has to play 25 minutes a game, against the other teams best players
The only defenseman that can play at his level or maybe higher is Guhle, but the dude's always hurt. The only other guy who is a bonifed NHL player is Savard lol
Matheson is basically thrown to the wolfs, and he does what he can

If anything, he's the second most important player this year, behind Suzuki

Last edited:
Reactions: Habssince89

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
When MM is pushed down in the lineup, and lesser opponents have to deal with his end-to-end ability, he might put on a show. Matheson and Petry are such a good comparison, but I think it is clear that MM has more Offensive ability than Petry, and JP has the edge in size and physicality. The fanbase's relationship with him is always going to be a roller coaster, but he might end up having a really nice .ppg% wearing a habs sweater

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
You don't have to but it doesn't change the facts.
Our PP which is terrible breaks down in the same place(s) all the time.
You tell me what is so special about Matheson on our PP?

I never stated that there is something "so special about Matheson on our PP".

Clearly our PP would be better with a top tier #1dman leading it. Matheson isn't that, nor is he paid to be that.

Your confusion about why an NHL coaching staff would choose to play their most established offensive minded dman heavily on the PP remains... confusing.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I never stated that there is something "so special about Matheson on our PP".

Clearly our PP would be better with a top tier #1dman leading it. Matheson isn't that, nor is he paid to be that.

Your confusion about why an NHL coaching staff would choose to play their most established offensive minded dman heavily on the PP remains... confusing.
Why wouldn't they use Guhle there ? Who's shown time and time again that he was an amazing puck carrier, shooter, passer and has the best ability of all to patrol the offensive blue line.

That's the answer I want. Kaiden has missed 7 games and he still leads the team in 5V5 points.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Looks like he is going to be the first Habs defenseman to score 60 points in almost a decade. Subban was the last in 2014-2015.

He also will likely finish amongst the top 10 scoring defenseman in the league.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Looks like he is going to be the first Habs defenseman to score 60 points in almost a decade. Subban was the last in 2014-2015.

Scoring 60+ points on this rag tag team is quite an accomplishment. There are few easy points being earned as Matheson does most of the heavy lifting on the points he does earn.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Scoring 60+ points on this rag tag team is quite an accomplishment. There are few easy points being earned as Matheson does most of the heavy lifting on the points he does earn.

The offense has been great. I'm just hoping the defense can improve. I was really hoping he'd get to 60 points, and he's almost there.

I'd like to see some of his defensive reads and decisions of when to go for it with the puck improve.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Why wouldn't they use Guhle there ? Who's shown time and time again that he was an amazing puck carrier, shooter, passer and has the best ability of all to patrol the offensive blue line.

That's the answer I want. Kaiden has missed 7 games and he still leads the team in 5V5 points.

The coaching staff decision not to use Guhle on the PP is based on any number of assessments they have made...

Not sure what that has to do with fans making a poor assessment of Matheson and his level of play :dunno:

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Yet he is easily the most criticized player on the team.

Reactions: Shutdown

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
There's context tho

Matheson should never play in the position where he's at right now
He's a great second pair that can play on first pair, but he ain't some superstar
He has to play 25 minutes a game, against the other teams best players
The only defenseman that can play at his level or maybe higher is Guhle, but the dude's always hurt. The only other guy who is a bonifed NHL player is Savard lol
Matheson is basically thrown to the wolfs, and he does what he can

If anything, he's the second most important player this year, behind Suzuki
This is the reason Patrice Brisebois was disliked by many fans, he played top pairing minutes when he clearly was not a top pairing Dman. Wrong chair same as Matheson who would be much better on the 2nd pair playing 20 minutes a game.

Reactions: Bouboumaster

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Yet he is easily the most criticized player on the team.
Imagine how many additional points Matheson would have if he played with a true superstar like McDavid or Mackinnon. Or he played on a team with four NHL level forward lines. Or how much more unwatchable this team would be without the elite mobility and leadership that Matheson brings game in and game out.

As I posted earlier, I just ignore the noise of the unrelenting criticism that surrounds this fine player.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The coaching staff decision not to use Guhle on the PP is based on any number of assessments they have made...

Not sure what that has to do with fans making a poor assessment of Matheson and his level of play :dunno:
It has always been about managing a young Guhle's minutes.
Our power play is broken and it needs to be fixed.
If our brain-trust don't come out of this season realizing that and doing something about it I'll be pissed.
Stability alone will make us better it's as simple as that.
The rest of what Matheson brings I can live with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrb1p

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Imagine how many additional points Matheson would have if he played with a true superstar like McDavid or Mackinnon. Or he played on a team with four NHL level forward lines. Or how much more unwatchable this team would be without the elite mobility and leadership that Matheson brings game in and game out.

As I posted earlier, I just ignore the noise of the unrelenting criticism that surrounds this fine player.
He wouldn't be getting top PP minutes with either of those clubs so his 5v5 4v4 and 3v3 play would have to be through the roof.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

He played with Crosby, Malkin, huberdeau and Barkov?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He played with Crosby, Malkin, huberdeau and Barkov?

At any rate I think the problem with Matheson's game right now is the defensive end. I'm fine with his offensive play and his offensive numbers.

The real test over the next two years is can he take his defensive game to another level, as he's taken his offensive game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad