Mid Season 2015 NHL Draft Discussion - Candidates at halfway point

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
He's going to play again, it's a broken hand, not a concussion or something. Even, hypothetically, he weren't, then it depends on how well Eichel does this season, and what type of injury it was that kept him out (concussion vs ACL for example)

Eichel's coming out party will be the WJC. And by coming out, I mean people finally realizing him.

Like I said, McDavid gets more hype because he is in the CHL, so to most fans he is the name they hear. McDavid this season has been impressive, but what Eichel has done this year is just as impressive.

I am not saying Eichel is better, but there isn't a large gap between Eichel and McDavid.

There is a pretty large gap. If Mcdavid needed surgery on his hand and didn't play another game this year he goes first overall. There's hype because he's literally the best prospect since Crosby, not because he plays in the CHL. Jacks coming out party was a couple years ago, weird how he didn't get much hype until a couple years ago. I've watched Connor play So many times, this is the most gifted player I've ever seen, and I've also seen Jack play live. Any other year and he is the clear cut number 1, just happens to be the same draft year as Mcdavid.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2003
KW
#11 by Hockeyprospect.com
#27 by ISS Hockey
#17 by Future Considerations
#17 by McKeen's Hockey

He's kind of all over the place.

J Roy is getting ranked in the latter half of the first round by quite a few different agencies. Wonder why not in the top half? Is it a lack of explosiveness to his skating stride that's holding his rank?

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I guess if the rankings are right we could squeak into the playoffs and still draft J Roy...that would be a win/win imho.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I guess if the rankings are right we could squeak into the playoffs and still draft J Roy...that would be a win/win imho.

Him or Svechnikov would be the two guys I would hope to get if we draft after making the playoffs. Seeing that we need a bonafide number 1 c maybe we could consider trading up?Since this draft is so deep and talent riddled in the first round, maybe teams are more willing to move down. Just a thought

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Him or Svechnikov would be the two guys I would hope to get if we draft after making the playoffs. Seeing that we need a bonafide number 1 c maybe we could consider trading up?Since this draft is so deep and talent riddled in the first round, maybe teams are more willing to move down. Just a thought

J Roy, Svechnikov, Merkley, Provorov are all guys I'd be super stoked to pick up in the 15-20 range. As for trading up, it's hard to do without a 2nd round pick, and I don't think it usually works out (ie Luke Schenn). I think stand pat and grab the BPA is the way to go.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I have seen very little as usual of the prospects. So I look forward to seeing the World Juniors and hope as many as possible of the draft eligible players make it. One player who I have seen is Kylington and he looks amazing and like a true star in the making. Not big but a great skater, good puck handler and everything else you would want from an offensive defenseman.

Problem is he wears 88 and we already have 2 prospects who wear that number. Nice btw that so many young Swedes honours Lindros Swedish ancestry this way... :irony:

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I have seen very little as usual of the prospects. So I look forward to seeing the World Juniors and hope as many as possible of the draft eligible players make it. One player who I have seen is Kylington and he looks amazing and like a true star in the making. Not big but a great skater, good puck handler and everything else you would want from an offensive defenseman.

Problem is he wears 88 and we already have 2 prospects who wear that number. Nice btw that so many young Swedes honours Lindros Swedish ancestry this way... :irony:

How does Kylington compare to Rielly?

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Leafs 2015 draft options

Hey Guys, don't get to see a lot of junior or college games so I am looking for opinions from guys who do. Assuming the leafs finish with a draft pick in the 8-20 range who do you guys feel would be their best option. Based on what I have read I will list a few guys I like the sound of, not necessarily in this order.
1.Mitch Marner C (200 foot player and a great offensive talent who competes all over ice)

2.Matt Barzal C (Offensive wizard that makes his teammates better)

3.Travis Konecny C/LW(Speedy offensive player who battles for pucks in all 3 zones)

4.Colin White C (Smart 2 way player who causes turnovers and has ability to bury pucks and can play with an edge)

5.Lawson Crouse LW (Huge power forward that controls boardplay, goes hard to the net, has a heavy shot and a high hockey IQ)

6. Mikko Rantanen RW (responsible 2 way power forward who can control puck and is dominant around the net)

7. Jeremy Roy D (Offensively gifted D man who plays a solid defensive game as well with good skating ability and good hockey IQ)

8. Zack Werenski (Smart, Good skating D man who has skill at both ends of the ice)

Feel free to say if you think any of these guys have bust potential

member 147413

He does. ;)

They are not exactly the same but I would say they have the same strengths and weaknesses and probably equal potential.

So he'll be super hyped and then mismanaged and won't develop well? Or is that only if he goes to Edmonton or Toronto?

Jul 10, 2003
KW
He does. ;)

They are not exactly the same but I would say they have the same strengths and weaknesses and probably equal potential.

Yeah he sounds like a similar player to Rielly, on paper at least. He's a lefty who plays the right side, so him and Rielly would make for an intriguing pairing.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
What is this? A Croatian conspiracy? ;)

So he'll be super hyped and then mismanaged and won't develop well? Or is that only if he goes to Edmonton or Toronto?

Dont give up on him. Rielly will turn out to be an excellent player for us. Hard to fail with that hockey sense and that skating. With experience I also think he will become a good leader for us.

Yeah he sounds like a similar player to Rielly, on paper at least. He's a lefty who plays the right side, so him and Rielly would make for an intriguing pairing.

They could probably form a good pairing even do I never liked having 2 players that similar on the same pairing. Not a fan of Rielly - Gardiner who I think are to much a like (even do Rielly, just as Kylington are more talented and smarter).

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

:laugh: Rielly is developing well. What would worry me is if he didn't crack the NHL yet. He's arguably one of our better dmen this year, and his defensive game has evolved a bit. He will be a stud sooner or later, just far too intelligent and mobile to not be a good one.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
They could probably form a good pairing even do I never liked having 2 players that similar on the same pairing. Not a fan of Rielly - Gardiner who I think are to much a like (even do Rielly, just as Kylington are more talented and smarter).

Well if both Rielly and Kylington live up to their potential they'll both be top pairing defenders...there would be a pretty big gap after them, so I think if we drafted Oliver it would be inevitable that he ends up being Rielly's partner somewhere down the line.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
I think we ought to target harkins if we finish around 16-20. Decent size, Has elite hockey sense and plays a very solid two way game. Skating is good not great though. Have only seen him play a few games, anyone else see him play?

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
I love Harkins. He's such a hard working player with great offensive upside and size to boot. He's a 200 foot center who competes up and down and has world class playmaking abilities. He centers the top line and he's been heavily leaned on. He's got great hockey IQ, and uses his size to protect the puck very well, which make him so dangerous when he has the puck. I could see him as a utility guy at the next level, being able to step up and down the lineup, very easy player to play with.

A guy I see who could be in our pick range or a lot higher, but I don't necessarily think a lot of people here want to pick, is Nick Merkley. This kid is tearing up the WHL right now. A very good skater, and a very quick thinker, he's able to play the game at such a high level and be dynamic with the puck. This guy makes world class passes night in and night out and the puck seems to find his stick each shift. Also some of you may remember me wanting the Leafs to draft Merkley's center, Rourke Chartier, in last years draft. Well Chartier is having quite the season with 28 goals in 26 games, and he looks like a great 149th pick for the Sharks.

A thought for those interested in the west is to keep an eye out on the #3rd and #4th WHL ranked Dmen by most polls in Juulsen and Wotherspoon. I've been watching these two a lot recently and there's a lot to like. Juulsen is a 2 way defensemen and another D coming out of Everett. Each time I watch him he continues to get better and make strides with his decision making; he plays a very mistake free and efficient game. Last night he played nearly the full final 2 minutes of a 2-1 hockey game protecting the lead and everytime the puck was in his corner he got it out. Wotherspoon on the other hand is a smooth skating puck moving defensemen who can play all zones. He's a very good passer, and makes NHL level passes. It'll be interesting to see where these two end up.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I love Harkins. He's such a hard working player with great offensive upside and size to boot. He's a 200 foot center who competes up and down and has world class playmaking abilities. He centers the top line and he's been heavily leaned on. He's got great hockey IQ, and uses his size to protect the puck very well, which make him so dangerous when he has the puck. I could see him as a utility guy at the next level, being able to step up and down the lineup, very easy player to play with.

A guy I see who could be in our pick range or a lot higher, but I don't necessarily think a lot of people here want to pick, is Nick Merkley. This kid is tearing up the WHL right now. A very good skater, and a very quick thinker, he's able to play the game at such a high level and be dynamic with the puck. This guy makes world class passes night in and night out and the puck seems to find his stick each shift. Also some of you may remember me wanting the Leafs to draft Merkley's center, Rourke Chartier, in last years draft. Well Chartier is having quite the season with 28 goals in 26 games, and he looks like a great 149th pick for the Sharks.

A thought for those interested in the west is to keep an eye out on the #3rd and #4th WHL ranked Dmen by most polls in Juulsen and Wotherspoon. I've been watching these two a lot recently and there's a lot to like. Juulsen is a 2 way defensemen and another D coming out of Everett. Each time I watch him he continues to get better and make strides with his decision making; he plays a very mistake free and efficient game. Last night he played nearly the full final 2 minutes of a 2-1 hockey game protecting the lead and everytime the puck was in his corner he got it out. Wotherspoon on the other hand is a smooth skating puck moving defensemen who can play all zones. He's a very good passer, and makes NHL level passes. It'll be interesting to see where these two end up.

Harkins is also a guy I love.

Juulsen is a guy I've been noticing this year. I'm a fan.

And I like Wotherspoon. Parker's got a little grit too him too. He's got some nice talent like his brother.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Colin White is quite intriguing. Guy has some strong two-way skills, and some decent offensive acumen, but he's started pretty slowly this year in the USHL. Might be a guy that's available a little later in the first than originally expected.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Well if both Rielly and Kylington live up to their potential they'll both be top pairing defenders...there would be a pretty big gap after them, so I think if we drafted Oliver it would be inevitable that he ends up being Rielly's partner somewhere down the line.

A little scouting report on him.

Just one look is all it should take to see that Oliver Kylington is poetry in motion – the ease and naturalness of his skating and passing are at the highest level. While his overall game, both offense and defense, has not yet reached the elite level that his physical tools would suggest, I am betting heavily that they will improve enough that Oliver Kylington will be drafted in the top ten and likely in the top five.

The smooth skating Kylington was a regular in the Swedish Hockey league as a 16 year old player. Skating ability is excellent with an ease that allows him to beat the fore-check, transition from defense to offense and to jump into the offensive forays. Very good passer and his vision and smarts makes him a multiple threat because he can beat you multiple ways. Reminds one of former NHLer & fellow Swede, Calle Johansson.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2015/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Oliver-Kylington

We should of course go for BPA but I really like this player. But on the other hand, perhaps it is about time we add another top rated forward since we seem to have a lot of young options on D.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
A little scouting report on him.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2015/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Oliver-Kylington

We should of course go for BPA but I really like this player. But on the other hand, perhaps it is about time we add another top rated forward since we seem to have a lot of young options on D.

Personally, I feel like we have good depth at D, but apart from Rielly we don't have any top pairing young guys. I don't want Rielly to end up paired with a #4/5 type the way Phaneuf has often been here, I'd like to see us build a legit top pairing. If Nylander is a center, I feel that our top need is a potential top pairing defender, but we don't have much depth anywhere imho...so BPA all the way.

Thanks for the scouting report Johnny.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Personally, I feel like we have good depth at D, but apart from Rielly we don't have any top pairing young guys. I don't want Rielly to end up paired with a #4/5 type the way Phaneuf has often been here, I'd like to see us build a legit top pairing. If Nylander is a center, I feel that our top need is a potential top pairing defender, but we don't have much depth anywhere imho...so BPA all the way.

Or maybe we trade a guy like Bozak or phaneuf to get another first rounder, which we use to get the d. We draft one of the stud forwards with our first pick, then if we can trade for a second we go for one of the top end goalies of this draft like Blackwood or Booth.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

Good point on the lack of Rielly level talent on D in our system that could up hurting him if he ends up having to do to much without any one who can take the heat of him at times. And yeah, another smooth skating defenseman with high hockey IQ would do a lot of good to fix that, but as always, BPA.

I do have high hopes for Percy, Finn , Valiev and Loov. among others But perhaps some one with more elite skills would be needed to really create a solid defense in the future and it is not set in stone all the above make it in the NHL.

Or maybe we trade a guy like Bozak or phaneuf to get another first rounder, which we use to get the d. We draft one of the stud forwards with our first pick, then if we can trade for a second we go for one of the top end goalies of this draft like Blackwood or Booth.

If what they say about this draft is even close the truth, this would be the season to load up on picks.

But you never know, even in the 2003 draft, the one the compare this one to there was some hits and misses. I mean, Flyers had 2 picks and selected Carter and Richards, excellent choices.
Anaheim also had 2 picks and got away with Getzlaf and Perry.
Then you have LA who had 3 picks and selected their future captain Brown and then Boyle and Tambelini. And considering how many good to great players was selected in the first round (2nd round as well) LA can hardly see it as a successful draft.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
If what they say about this draft is even close the truth, this would be the season to load up on picks.

But you never know, even in the 2003 draft, the one the compare this one to there was some hits and misses. I mean, Flyers had 2 picks and selected Carter and Richards, excellent choices.
Anaheim also had 2 picks and got away with Getzlaf and Perry.
Then you have LA who had 3 picks and selected their future captain Brown and then Boyle and Tambelini. And considering how many good to great players was selected in the first round (2nd round as well) LA can hardly see it as a successful draft.

I see your point. This definitely is a draft to have more than one first rounder. Considering the emergence of Holland, Kadri's improved two way play, and the arrival of Willie next year it makes sense to trade Bozak when his value is at it's peak (right now). Dion is a good dman, but we don't have an elite d prospect to grow with Morgan, and by the time he reaches his potential, Dion will have aged too much to provide him e necessary support. Short term we are hit hard by these moves, but we'll still have some quality guys for leadership who will help Morgan, our picks from this draft, and our other young guys to develop. If you ask me, trading Bozak and Phaneuf is worth the risk with how strong and deep this draft is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad