Mid Season 2015 NHL Draft Discussion - Candidates at halfway point

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I can't remember if it was CSS or ISS that ranked Jeremy Roy as a B level prospect (2nd round) this month. On top of this they still had Nic Roy as a first round guy. That was possibly the worst prospect watch I've seen in a while. J Roy imo could crack top ten of he can keep his play up, and he has the ability to challenge Kylington for second dman chosen.

#11 by Hockeyprospect.com
#27 by ISS Hockey
#17 by Future Considerations
#17 by McKeen's Hockey

He's kind of all over the place.

Ace88*

Also, i feel i should say that in my opinion, what Jack Eichel is doing in Division 1 NCAA hockey as a freshman is absolutely unheard of. It's every bit as, maybe even more, impressive than what McDavid is doing in the CHL.

I'm not going to say that he should go 1st overall, but I'm starting to feel the gap between 1 and 2 is not very large at all.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Remember when I said to watch for Mitch Marner this season?

Yeah... kid is is absolutely killing it. Likely going top 5.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Also, i feel i should say that in my opinion, what Jack Eichel is doing in Division 1 NCAA hockey as a freshman is absolutely unheard of. It's every bit as, maybe even more, impressive than what McDavid is doing in the CHL.

I'm not going to say that he should go 1st overall, but I'm starting to feel the gap between 1 and 2 is not very large at all.

Has it ever been that big? McDavid gets more hype and exposure because he is in the CHL, but most hockey people would tell you that Eichel is just as good as McDavid.

Both are generational franchise centers.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
Has it ever been that big? McDavid gets more hype and exposure because he is in the CHL, but most hockey people would tell you that Eichel is just as good as McDavid.

Both are generational franchise centers.
Both are generational centres.. The gap is bigger than you think

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010

No it's not. Eichel is an amazing prospect who possesses elite speed, elite vision, elite iq, elite shot, elite passer, and a big body. he's everything you can want in a prospect. He's a 1.9 PPG player, and the highest scorer in a stronger league.

Mcdavid is very good, and the consensus #1, but there's a lot of hockey to be played until June. Many people are going to be surprised with just how talented this kid is come the World Juniors. Also keep an eye out for Auston Matthews (2016 draft), he may be as talented as Eichel.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
No it's not. Eichel is an amazing prospect who possesses elite speed, elite vision, elite iq, elite shot, elite passer, and a big body. he's everything you can want in a prospect. He's a 1.9 PPG player, and the highest scorer in a stronger league.

Mcdavid is very good, and the consensus #1, but there's a lot of hockey to be played until June. Many people are going to be surprised with just how talented this kid is come the World Juniors. Also keep an eye out for Auston Matthews (2016 draft), he may be as talented as Eichel.

I've seen a lot more of Eichel than most on this board, and he is a generational talent with everything you just listed. The fact is, Mcdavid is the best player I've ever seen live in the CHL and the gap is big enough that he will be the consensus number 1 even if he doesn't play another game this year. Huge Matthews fan, hopefully he ends up in Everett, they could be a very dangerous team next year.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

I said much the same last year. Eichel is not as far behind a some might think. I think McDavid is still number 1 but Eichel should be in the conversation.

Ace88*

Seriously, nobody enters Div 1 NCAA (!!) and blows the competition like this as a FRESHMAN. It's mind boggling. I won't be the least bit surprised if Eichel steps right into the NHL and walks all over McDavid (who doesn't have the benefit of playing against much older, more developed guys).

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Seriously, nobody enters Div 1 NCAA (!!) and blows the competition like this as a FRESHMAN. It's mind boggling. I won't be the least bit surprised if Eichel steps right into the NHL and walks all over McDavid (who doesn't have the benefit of playing against much older, more developed guys).

It's what Gaudreau did in his final season, and we were talking about how incredible that play was...

To do it in a freshman season is...something else. Now it is still early, and I'd expect Eichel to fall to a lower pace but it's enough to say that he should be mentioned in the talk for number 1 even though it will ultimately go to McDavid.

Eichel is among one of the oldest prospects in the draft but still it's incredibly impressive

Last edited:

Terrence

Aug 3, 2010
Count me as a fan of Thomas Chabot. Big, raw, offensive blueliner. Think he could rise as the year progresses.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
Count me as a fan of Thomas Chabot. Big, raw, offensive blueliner. Think he could rise as the year progresses.

Definitely, big fan of Chabot as well.

Already have him as 3rd Q dman on my draft list after J.Roy and A.Carrier. Really like his game and upside.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
It's what Gaudreau did in his final season, and we were talking about how incredible that play was...

To do it in a freshman season is...something else. Now it is still early, and I'd expect Eichel to fall to a lower pace but it's enough to say that he should be mentioned in the talk for number 1 even though it will ultimately go to McDavid.

Eichel is among one of the oldest prospects in the draft but still it's incredibly impressive

Yea, not taking anything away from him, but the biggest problem that I could see for Eichel in the transition to the pros would be the amount of games that he misses out on by going the NCAA route.
I know that won't take anything away from his skill level, but how much does that weigh on scouts minds when it comes to drafting.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
His stats are incredible. What's his style like? He's rather small.

He's what? 5'11, 170ish? Not that small for today's centers. When you look at Crosby, and Giroux and Datsyuk, they are all 5'11. Giroux is only 175, and Dats and Crosby are 190-200.

Those are arguably the three best centers in the league. Toews is only 3" taller, so not much of a difference there too.

If Marner bulks up a bit, kid can has the talent to be a star. He has a respectable defensive game as well.

Between McDavid and Eichel? Not much of a gap at all

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
He's what? 5'11, 170ish? Not that small for today's centers. When you look at Crosby, and Giroux and Datsyuk, they are all 5'11. Giroux is only 175, and Dats and Crosby are 190-200.

Those are arguably the three best centers in the league. Toews is only 3" taller, so not much of a difference there too.

If Marner bulks up a bit, kid can has the talent to be a star. He has a respectable defensive game as well.

If Mcdavid doesn't play another game this year does he go first overall?

Ace88*

Definitely.

That D crop is beautiful.

Not just the defense either, some of the forwards are looking unreal as well (Svechnikov, Beauvillier, Sprong, Chlapik, Yan, Schweri, Meier, etc). Looking at this, i can't think of a deeper, more all around great Q draft class. Yeah 2013 had Drouin and Mackinnon but this year is definitely deeper. Good for the Q, i've always hated how it never gets the respect it deserves. It's every bit as good as the WHL and OHL.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
Not just the defense either, some of the forwards are looking unreal as well (Svechnikov, Beauvillier, Sprong, Chlapik, Yan, Schweri, Meier, etc). Looking at this, i can't think of a deeper, more all around great Q draft class. Yeah 2013 had Drouin and Mackinnon but this year is definitely deeper. Good for the Q, i've always hated how it never gets the respect it deserves. It's every bit as good as the WHL and OHL.

Yeah, definitely great forward as well. Trenin, Alain, Gagné, Marsh, Ty Fournier, etc. all have very solid upside as well.

And fair enough, the Q is easily as good as the O and W.

Roy, Carrier, Chabot, Meloche, Brisebois, Zboril, Léveillé, Lauzon, Bourque, Bell, Henley, etc. on the back-end is unreal. So much upside.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

The difference is probably as large as Seguin/Hall except on a larger scale (so maybe Malkin/Ovechkin). I think many people expected Hall and Ovechkin to go first, but the differences in skill weren't as large as people thought.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If Mcdavid doesn't play another game this year does he go first overall?

He's going to play again, it's a broken hand, not a concussion or something. Even, hypothetically, he weren't, then it depends on how well Eichel does this season, and what type of injury it was that kept him out (concussion vs ACL for example)

Eichel's coming out party will be the WJC. And by coming out, I mean people finally realizing him.

Like I said, McDavid gets more hype because he is in the CHL, so to most fans he is the name they hear. McDavid this season has been impressive, but what Eichel has done this year is just as impressive.

I am not saying Eichel is better, but there isn't a large gap between Eichel and McDavid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad