Michkov vs Demidov

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Habs fans should be very happy, Demidov appears to be a phenomenal prospect. Who knows, maybe he even ends up the better player. But as of today's date in August of 2024, Michkov seems to quite definitively be the better prospect at the moment.
An opinion based on . . . more opinion, nothing else. Michkov might well become the better NHL player . . . we’ll know in a decade or so.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
An opinion based on . . . more opinion, nothing else. Michkov might well become the better NHL player . . . we’ll know in a decade or so.

My opinion is based on the facts that Michkov and Demidov are both high offensive wingers (Meaning minutiae over size and two-way play are second fiddle to what actually makes them special), yet Michkov has outproduced Demidov at their comparable levels and has outproduced historical competition at higher levels than Demidov has yet to even seriously breach.

It is my opinion that those facts are overwhelmingly favorable to Michkov, yes.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
If Laine plays well in MTL, and the habs re-sign him, then the Reinbacher selection makes even more sense

A top 4 wingers of Demidov, Slafkovsky, Laine, and Caufield could be absolutely elite.
And a top 4 D of Hutson, Guhle, Reinbacher, and Mailloux could be awesome.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
If Laine plays well in MTL, and the habs re-sign him, then the Reinbacher selection makes even more sense

A top 4 wingers of Demidov, Slafkovsky, Laine, and Caufield could be absolutely elite.
Yet most are absolutely unproven / none are remotely close to elite currently . But sure on paper if it all pans out that could be a pie in the sky result . I like the Laine acquisition but aren’t we getting a wee bit ahead of ourselves . Half the guys have yet to even debut ..i

Reactions: Realgud

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Yet most are absolutely unproven / none are remotely close to elite currently . But sure on paper if it all pans out that could be a pie in the sky result . I like the Laine acquisition but aren’t we getting a wee bit ahead of ourselves . Half the guys have yet to even debut ..

Well, being unproven at the nhl level hasn't stopped people from saying the Habs messed up badly by drafting Reinbacher over Michkov.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Well, being unproven at the nhl level hasn't stopped people from saying the Habs messed up badly by drafting Reinbacher over Michkov.
Maybe they did maybe they didn’t ( I’m in the former camp ) but they just got a sniper for free so could ease the pressure for the other guys if Pat is “ back “ .

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

And is Laine doesn’t work out then it continues to make no sense…

Also, I’d doubt the Habs knew they would be getting Laine a year after drafting Reinbacher so I don’t understand your point…

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
And is Laine doesn’t work out then it continues to make no sense…

Also, I’d doubt the Habs knew they would be getting Laine a year after drafting Reinbacher so I don’t understand your point…

It didn't make sense then, but it makes a lot of sense now.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I don’t think there’s much point to continuously smashing the Habs for passing on Michkov. They weren’t the only ones, they probably wouldn’t have selected Demidov then, and their rebuild looks to be on target regardless. Plus, I think if the Habs fanbase got both Michkov and Demidov, an unholy black hole would’ve appeared and dragged HFB into the abyss. It would’ve been…too much lol.

I am excited to see a dynamic left shot RW from Russia with insane dangles lighting up the ice in a Habs jersey…I am absolutely picturing Kovalev in my head. This generation of Habs fans will be hoping for a more consistent player - but in terms of pure, unadulterated skill…that’s the kind of magic you hope for.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
They messed up badly because Michkov is way way way more talented player. If Laine will play well - mtl could trade him for good assets and sign RD from free agent market.

They will live with this huge mistake forever, no matter how good or bad Laine will play. Boston did well in the last 10 years, it doesn't change the fact how badly they drafted in a year 2015.

• Haha
Reactions: Canadiens Ghost

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Answer is obvious. Because one is good defensive prospect and other is special prospect.

I really like Reinbacher but the difference between him and regular 20-40 pick level prospect is closer than difference between Reinbacher and Michkov. Its not a nock on Reinbacher - its a problem of Hughes who decided to not draft Michkov.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Answer is obvious. Because one is good defensive prospect and other is special prospect.

I really like Reinbacher but the difference between him and regular 20-40 pick level prospect is closer than difference between Reinbacher and Michkov. Its not a nock on Reinbacher - its a problem of Hughes who decided to not draft Michkov.
Fire Hughes (I would have drafted Michkov too but irrelevant now).

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
They messed up badly because Michkov is way way way more talented player. If Laine will play well - mtl could trade him for good assets and sign RD from free agent market.

They will live with this huge mistake forever, no matter how good or bad Laine will play. Boston did well in the last 10 years, it doesn't change the fact how badly they drafted in a year 2015.

There is no good young RD in the market. Laine is far closer to what Michkov can be than any available RD is to what Reinbacher can become.

Boston drafted 2 busts and a 40 pts winger over 2 ppg forwards and a top pairing D. The comparison is stupid.

Reactions: viceroy and jfhabs

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
There is no good young RD in the market. Laine is far closer to what Michkov can be than any available RD is to what Reinbacher can become.

Boston drafted 2 busts and a 40 pts winger over 2 ppg forwards and a top pairing D. The comparison is stupid.
Hronek, Drysdale are ones at the top of my head.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

Comparison is great. Because Reinbacher will become 35-45 points defenseman and in the most best case scenario 55-60 points defenseman. Michkov will become 80-90 points forward and in the best case scenario 100-120 points forward.

There are much more RDs of "Reinbacher real/best potential" level than Michkovs level forwards on the market. And they are cheaper in the trades.

And its obvious. Kaprizov is way much more important player than Hronek, Severson, Werenski, Carlson(real outcome and best outcome for Reinbacher). Price is absolutely different, availability isn't even close.

Fire Hughes (I would have drafted Michkov too but irrelevant now).
I don't think so. Even with one Huge mistake Hughes is continuing to make mostly good moves on my taste.

Last edited:

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Comparison is great. Because Reinbacher will become 35-45 points defenseman and in the most best case scenario 55-60 points defenseman. Michkov will become 80-90 points forward and in the best case scenario 100-120 points forward.

There are much more RDs of "Reinbacher real/best potential" level than Michkovs level forwards on the market. And they are cheaper in the trades.

And its obvious. Kaprizov is way much more important player than Hronek, Severson, Werenski, Carlson(real outcome and best outcome for Reinbacher). Price is absolutely different, availability isn't even close.

I don't think so. Even with one Huge mistake Hughes is continuing to make mostly good moves on my taste.
You need different kinds of players to win cups. Even if we accept the premise that Michkov is better than Demidov, they are a similar profile of player, thus somewhat redundant. Reinbacher fills the profile of a player we don't have.

This is coming from a guy who was clamoring for the Michkov selection.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
You can get a Reinbacher in late 1st or 2nd rounds IMO.

You can get a Datsyuk in the 6th round too, what's your point?

I think you're undervaluing Reinbacher, you can say what you want about Michkov vs Reinbacher but David was clearly a top 10 pick anyway you slice it.

I can't wait for him to show what he's capable of and how integral he'll be to a winning franchise. Big top pairing RD's who can skate and defend like him, who have a fine first pass out of the D zone, are very hard to come by in the NHL. Their value is extremely high.

People who say you can easily find one via trade or free agency are talking out their asses. If true, why is it eveyone is always seemingly looking for one?

I too would have taken Michkov, but through good fortune we ended up with Demidov, so it worked out better for us in a team construction sense.

We're happy to have him.

Last edited:

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
pretty stupid that this rivalry started just because Habs were stupid enough to pass on Michkov.

we passed on Michkov but since we got Demidov let's compare them to make ourselves feel better if Demidov is better.

just be happy with what u got. it all worked out sure u passed on Michkov but u got Reinbacher and now that Demidov dropped to you everything worked out, I just don't get it. who honestly cares if Michkov ends up being better anyways?

You can get a Datsyuk in the 6th round too, what's your point?

I think you're undervaluing Reinbacher, you can say what you want about Michkov vs Reinbacher but David was clearly a top 10 pick anyway you slice it.

I can't wait for him to show what he's capable of and how integral he'll be to a winning franchise. Big top pairing RD's who can skate and defend like him, who have a fine first pass out of the D zone, are very hard to come by in the NHL. Their value is extremely high.

People who say you can easily find one via trade or free agency are talking out their asses. If true, why is it eveyone is always seemingly looking for one?
how many examples of Datsyuk are normally found in the 6th round pal?

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site

What does it matter? It happens....

The original poster was just devaluing Reinbacher, by calling him a late 1st/ 2nd rounder type. He was clearly a top 10 pick in his draft year and an organizational need. I would have taken Michkov but that's beside the point, it doesn't change Reinbacher's placing in the draft from top 10 to second rounder. He was going top 6 if we hadn't taken him.

Last edited:
Reactions: viceroy

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
What does it matter? It happens....

The original poster was just devaluing Reinbacher, by calling him a late 1st/ 2nd rounder type. He was clearly a top 10 pick in his draft year and an organizational need. I would have taken Michkov but that's beside the point, it doesn't change Reinbacher's placing in the draft from top 10 to second rounder. He was going top 6 if we hadn't taken him.
he's not completely wrong though I think there's a better chance to find a Reinbacher in the late 1st/2nd round over Datsyuk in the 6th
not a very good comparison.

Reinbacher is a great prospect though just was foolish to draft over Michkov. however you guys got lucky and Demidov dropped to you guys so things corrected it's self.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
You need different kinds of players to win cups. Even if we accept the premise that Michkov is better than Demidov, they are a similar profile of player, thus somewhat redundant. Reinbacher fills the profile of a player we don't have.

This is coming from a guy who was clamoring for the Michkov selection.
If you need different kind of player go get him in a trade or from the market or in other round in the same round by later pick.

No one care who fit profile. Difference is way too huge. And im not trying to defend Arizona/Utah. And Im not trying to bash on Reinbacher. He is good prospect.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
You can get a Reinbacher in late 1st or 2nd rounds IMO.
Man posts like this are embarassing lol. You can get Michkovs in 2nd round too I guess right? Hey you can get Datsyuks in the 6th round too!

Just stop with the nonsense.

It's pretty much known that certain teams wanted to trade with the Habs pick to take Reinbacher so everyone in here needs to take a chill pill. Habs had there reason for not wanting him but ya'll need to stop pretending like were talking about Wayne Gretzky here.

pretty stupid that this rivalry started just because Habs were stupid enough to pass on Michkov.

we passed on Michkov but since we got Demidov let's compare them to make ourselves feel better if Demidov is better.

just be happy with what u got. it all worked out sure u passed on Michkov but u got Reinbacher and now that Demidov dropped to you everything worked out, I just don't get it. who honestly cares if Michkov ends up being better anyways?

We don't know yet what Reinbacher is in the NHL so how can he claim players like that are drafted in the 2nd round? He had a historic season in NL for a draft eligible player but everyone in here is acting like he's some scrub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad