OT: MIchigan Sports Thread: UM wins Natty Championship

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It just seems wildly hypocritical to me. Either the Tigers are not yet close to their window, and Skubal should be dealt, or they are close to their window, and they should be much more aggressive in free agency.

Waiting long term for the kids AND going cheap on veterans AND not getting value for Skubal is just malfeasance.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
It just seems wildly hypocritical to me. Either the Tigers are not yet close to their window, and Skubal should be dealt, or they are close to their window, and they should be much more aggressive in free agency.

Waiting long term for the kids AND going cheap on veterans AND not getting value for Skubal is just malfeasance.

It really makes you question if Chris is sticking his nose into things he isn't qualified to be making decision on.

Like Harris is telling him that it's a long build and Chris is afraid of being embarrassed by empty stadiums and being a laughing stock, so he has to keep the one guy people come to see

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Obviously, I am being dramatic regarding Harris, though my comments are accurate. If he is the punching bag of the league, he needs to be gone. We just don't know that to be the case at this time.

What he needs to do for this coming year is properly insulate the young players with veteran talent that has actual talent. Canha and Urshela and McKinstry can't be the type we lean on. We can't find ourselves in a position where our best option is Bligh Madris and either of the Ryan's, Kreidler or Vilade. God forbid I have to listen to another season of Harris defending Baez and say they haven't considered buying him out.

You might not be dramatic about it, I don't know. Harris really might not be cut out for it and we should cut bait. I've just seen too many baseball deals rise and fall because prospects go up and down pretty crazily in baseball and I've seen fans go nuts loving/hating GMs because of it.

The only thing I'm modestly sure about is to not expect a lot of help in free agency outside of relatively cheap flyers on guys like Flaherty. I just don't think Ilitch is interested in spending. He cheaped out a bit a few years ago, but still dropped a big salary, and got Baez who...yeah. I guess that would kinda reinforce him not wanting to spend. :laugh:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I do think people being overly harsh on Harris for his trade returns forget that he's the one that went out and got Flaherty to begin with, the guy was out there on the market for the taking on a 1 year deal this very offseason

he also got Lorenzen in the offseason the previous year on a cheap one year deal so he's shown an ability to create something out of nothing there

Reactions: RabidBadger

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA
1723662943063.png

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
Dude, come on. I don't mean Raul Julia right now.

We need Gomez Addams and/or M. Bison. He's damn near one of my favorite actors of all time. He put all of himself into every role. I mean, man took the Street Fighter movie because his kids liked the game and had one of the hardest lines ever.

"For you, the day that Bison graced your village was the biggest day of your life. A day you will never forget. For me, it was a Tuesday."

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Dude, come on. I don't mean Raul Julia right now.

We need Gomez Addams and/or M. Bison. He's damn near one of my favorite actors of all time. He put all of himself into every role. I mean, man took the Street Fighter movie because his kids liked the game and had one of the hardest lines ever.

"For you, the day that Bison graced your village was the biggest day of your life. A day you will never forget. For me, it was a Tuesday."
I know I know. He was very influential in my movie tastes growing up. Just always sad and happy when mentioned.

jaster

7/16" hollow or bust
Jun 8, 2007
Don’t care if they’re no longer playing for anything, that was a helluva win by the Tigers, coming from behind and walking off the Yanks on national tv!

Skubal with another great game, and then Keith-Jung in the 9th and McKinstry-Meadows in the 10th, all with key hits and plays to get the win.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
It's that time of the year where the Tigers play really good baseball and tank their draft position by finishing in the middle of the pack.

I do not understand why they can't just play August/September baseball in the first few months of the season.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
It's that time of the year where the Tigers play really good baseball and tank their draft position by finishing in the middle of the pack.

I do not understand why they can't just play August/September baseball in the first few months of the season.
Because most of the other middle rung teams aren't grinding out every at bat and working their asses off as the season goes along. It's more a war of attrition as you get to games 110-150. Then they ramp back up in the last 10 or 12.

It's like how the Wings went on that 8-1 heater in the 18-19 campaign when they were playing like Ryan Kuffner, Taro Hirose, Jake Chelios, and others.

And I'll be honest, my man... with what the Tigers have gotten from 1.1 recently? I think I'm fine with them picking a bit further back.

Reactions: Konnan511

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
Don’t care if they’re no longer playing for anything, that was a helluva win by the Tigers, coming from behind and walking off the Yanks on national tv!

Skubal with another great game, and then Keith-Jung in the 9th and McKinstry-Meadows in the 10th, all with key hits and plays to get the win.
Zach McKinstry is still a terrible baseball player and certainly should have been DFA'd after that hideously terrible triple play he ran into because he's as average as an average player gets at his best. Something that terrible would be an instant cut for me. Give guys who will be here longer than a one year contract that time.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Zach McKinstry is still a terrible baseball player and certainly should have been DFA'd after that hideously terrible triple play he ran into because he's as average as an average player gets at his best. Something that terrible would be an instant cut for me. Give guys who will be here longer than a one year contract that time.
It's wild how well he has been playing the last 15 games. His last 7 has been majestic.

jaster

7/16" hollow or bust
Jun 8, 2007
Ha, yeah, he's probably a quad-A guy at best, and I don't expect him to be on the roster next season, but at least he participated in some heroics in that Yanks game I guess. He's been stuffing the box score lately too.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
Ha, yeah, he's probably a quad-A guy at best, and I don't expect him to be on the roster next season, but at least he participated in some heroics in that Yanks game I guess. He's been stuffing the box score lately too.

I'll be honest, I'm more sore about that one because I had a Tigers live inning prop for scoring with the bases loaded and no-out and he made a grade school error. And I just always saw his 4-a level play. I'll be honest, I did kinda check out on the Tigers all year, but particularly after one of their terrible stretches where they fell so far back.

But it's why I'm not a GM of a baseball team. I'd DFA every player who made a stupid mistake like that. I'd be out Javy Baez, McKinstry, and literally have Trey Sweeney and... nobody else at SS.

E: Ok, I do feel better about my assertion for the whole year, anyway. .611 ops is f***ing terrible. And with him on a ripper lately, it means he was a good bit below that.

Reactions: jaster

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Because most of the other middle rung teams aren't grinding out every at bat and working their asses off as the season goes along. It's more a war of attrition as you get to games 110-150. Then they ramp back up in the last 10 or 12.

It's like how the Wings went on that 8-1 heater in the 18-19 campaign when they were playing like Ryan Kuffner, Taro Hirose, Jake Chelios, and others.

And I'll be honest, my man... with what the Tigers have gotten from 1.1 recently? I think I'm fine with them picking a bit further back.
Disagree completely.Its more comparable to this year when the wings got 8 of the last 10 points.

It would be one thing if this was all guys like Baez and Mckinstry getting hot, but it isnt. Watching Colt Keith, Meadows, Tork, Greene, Jung etc grinding out every at bat and playing really good baseball is a good thing for the Tigers.

I had faith that Keith would be a good player but the baseball hes been playing down the stretch here is pretty incredible

Reactions: RabidBadger

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Question: Will Sherone Moore's wins while H was suspended count for his career record?
It does not appear so, ish. He has an official record of 1-0.

Michigan's head coach, Jim Harbaugh, was suspended for the first three games of the 2023 season. Jesse Minter served as interim head coach for the first game of the season, Jay Harbaugh and Mike Hart were interim co-head coaches for the second game, and Moore served as interim head coach for the third game, a non-conference win over Bowling Green. Harbaugh was suspended a second time, for the final three games of the regular season. Moore served as acting head coach for those games, all victories over conference foes—Penn State, Maryland, and Ohio State—but the games were credited to Harbaugh's record.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Disagree completely.Its more comparable to this year when the wings got 8 of the last 10 points.

It would be one thing if this was all guys like Baez and Mckinstry getting hot, but it isnt. Watching Colt Keith, Meadows, Tork, Greene, Jung etc grinding out every at bat and playing really good baseball is a good thing for the Tigers.

I had faith that Keith would be a good player but the baseball hes been playing down the stretch here is pretty incredible

So good to see that guy hitting major league pitching like we hoped he would. If he can become the hitter everyone thought he could it would be a major boost to our lineup. His line in august is Miggy level.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
Alright, I'll ask this hear. I can't seem to get an unbiased opinion anywhere. What's the TRUTH behind the Stallions/Sign stealing accusations? I'm not trolling here, as I am lifelong Michigan fan.

I've spent a good bit of time arguing on anti-social media over it. It's either fellow M fans saying 'nothing to see here' or O$U fans blaming Stallions for their last three years loses.

It still comes down to this, for me... Michigan got BETTER when the allegations came down, and they couldn't 'cheat'. And if Stallions was installed behind another team's sideline, why was it..... Central.... It's not like they'd need to steal signs to beat them.

I'm truly lost here.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Alright, I'll ask this hear. I can't seem to get an unbiased opinion anywhere. What's the TRUTH behind the Stallions/Sign stealing accusations? I'm not trolling here, as I am lifelong Michigan fan.

I've spent a good bit of time arguing on anti-social media over it. It's either fellow M fans saying 'nothing to see here' or O$U fans blaming Stallions for their last three years loses.

It still comes down to this, for me... Michigan got BETTER when the allegations came down, and they couldn't 'cheat'. And if Stallions was installed behind another team's sideline, why was it..... Central.... It's not like they'd need to steal signs to beat them.

I'm truly lost here.
First, i would go watch the new documentary on Netflix, that answers a lot of questions.

So, like a lot of UofM fans, he was weird in his fandom. A Walmart Wolverine. He always wanted to coach football, that was his dream. He went to the Naval Academy (military), because that's what all great coaches did in the past. He got his foot in the door by offering to help the coaching staff with anything they needed. His first part of the Navy team was to decipher signals (sign steal). He was really good at it, like really good. In the military for Navy, he was an intelligence guy.

He then learned that there is an underground sign stealing brotherhood with all the signal chasers. He learned what they were doing and decided to be better than them.

After graduation he started working for UofM football. he developed new systems to decipher signals. He was, for a lack of a better phrase, highly committed to making sure UofM Football was the best.

At the same time, as a staff member, he got dirt cheap tickets (sometimes free) that he could give to family and friends, or sell for a profit.

Things you can do to not break any sign stealing rules in the NCAA:
1.) Be on the field and watch signals in person and try to decipher them live during your game.
2.) Record and watch any televised film, try to decipher signals that way.
3.) Have third parties tell you what the opposing signals are, write them down, and remember them. (Secret underground sign stealing fraternity)

What you cannot do, is go to an opposing teams games and record the signals yourself.

The gray area is, can you have family or friends do that for you. it is NOT black or white, it is very muddy. Logically, you shouldn't be able to do that, but what if you have an overzealous Walmart Wolverine friend that texts you their recording, thinking they are helping?

TL;DR, Connor was very good at his job, he was obsessed with UofM Football from a young age. He gave tickets away to family and friends who recorded parts of games, and sent the to Connor. Connor states he already knew all those signals, so it was no big deal. You cannot go to opposing games and record their signals yourself, it is a gray area for other people to do it for you.

Draw your own conclusions.

Connor denies he was on the CMU sideline to record MSU's signals. World famous egomaniac El Presidente claims Connor told him it was him on the sideline. Connor and the guy on the sideline, do look similar, but nothing definitive proves it was him.

I am a CMU alum, coached College Hockey at MSU, I cheered when UofM when the Natty, I've always rooted for MSU to beat UofM in football, because my Dad went to UofM, but most of our family went to MSU.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00