OT - NO POLITICS Memorial Day & Here Comes Summah edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
We have been bouncing between Santas Village and Story Land for the past few years. I personally like Santas Village better but figured the kids (7 and 11) would have grown out of it. But they both agreed that they don't want to go to story land anymore, only Santas Village.

Win for me since its nicer, closer, and has better food.

My kids, when little, loved our annual trek to both places.
I sorely miss those days.

Johnny Upton

Jul 5, 2003
Boston
We have been bouncing between Santas Village and Story Land for the past few years. I personally like Santas Village better but figured the kids (7 and 11) would have grown out of it. But they both agreed that they don't want to go to story land anymore, only Santas Village.

That’s one thing I’m looking forward to now that I’m a dad: taking my daughter to places like these. I enjoyed them when I was young and I’m excited to share those experiences with her.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

My kids, when little, loved our annual trek to both places.
I sorely miss those days.

Agreed!

We are lucky we can day trip to those two and Canobie

I grew up with a season pass to Riverside (Now 6 Flags). Place is not the same since they sold out. Happy we have some throwback places to go to.

That’s one thing I’m looking forward to now that I’m a dad: taking my daughter to places like these. I enjoyed them when I was young and I’m excited to share those experiences with her.

Just under 30 years ago.

C8C10343BDF549CC9B3ECBD533650E85.jpeg

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Agreed!

I grew up with a season pass to Riverside (Now 6 Flags). Place is not the same since they sold out. Happy we have some throwback places to go to.
Riverside was great. We did Riverside, Whalom, and all the NH spots over and over and over when I was younger. Whales Tale is still one of my favorites. Brought the kids there last year and while it’s not the same, we still had a great day. Then we did Canobie on our drive home the next day and loved that too.

Their mother has taken them to Storyland/Santas/Clarks, and they’re going up there for a few days this weekend.

I love the low key, run down charm of these places, and the fact that they are still operational and thriving. It’s awesome to be able to share experiences with the kids that I had when I was their age, and actually have everything live up to the hype. Not just for them, but for me too!

Reactions: Gee Wally

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Riverside was great. We did Riverside, Whalom, and all the NH spots over and over and over when I was younger. Whales Tale is still one of my favorites. Brought the kids there last year and while it’s not the same, we still had a great day. Then we did Canobie on our drive home the next day and loved that too.

Their mother has taken them to Storyland/Santas/Clarks, and they’re going up there for a few days this weekend.

I love the low key, run down charm of these places, and the fact that they are still operational and thriving. It’s awesome to be able to share experiences with the kids that I had when I was their age, and actually have everything live up to the hype. Not just for them, but for me too!
Exactly! As I get older I am so done with this over corporate crap out there (restaurants, stores, amusement parks). My 401k likes it, but it is all just sterile garbage.

I tried sneaking sandwiches into Storyland and the guy at the gate checking bags said I could just go back to the car and get the cooler and bring it in. Love it, same with Santas Village.

Havent done Whales Tale. Used to go to Water Wizz as a kid.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Exactly! As I get older I am so done with this over corporate crap out there (restaurants, stores, amusement parks). My 401k likes it, but it is all just sterile garbage.

I tried sneaking sandwiches into Storyland and the guy at the gate checking bags said I could just go back to the car and get the cooler and bring it in. Love it, same with Santas Village.

Havent done Whales Tale. Used to go to Water Wizz as a kid.
We bring a couple smaller soft side coolers in full of drinks and sandwiches, with another bag of towels and snacks. Never had a problem at any of those parks.

Water Wizz is about a half hour drive so we did it a bunch. I haven’t been since they renovated and double the size of it though. The kids have a summer camp trip planned for it, I might chaperone.

If water wizz is a thrift store version of water country, then whales tale is the knockoff version of the wizz. If you’re gonna do 2 days in the area i would definitely recommend an afternoon for whales tale. Plus you can stop at the Woodstock inn for an early dinner before you head home

Reactions: Morris Wanchuk

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Oh, I forgot Edaville. Thomas land was awesome for the kids but now it seems to be scaled back?
Covid killed them, or they lost rights to the Thomas I.P. something weird happened there. As far as I know the park is still open, just with small and generic carnival rides. It might be strictly Christmas themed at this point. Last time I went there was a good 10 years ago in November for the Santa train ride and Christmas lights. Managed to get my daughter on 2 rides and then she got stuck in an indoor ball pit and I had to jump in to pull her out

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Covid killed them, or they lost rights to the Thomas I.P. something weird happened there. As far as I know the park is still open, just with small and generic carnival rides. It might be strictly Christmas themed at this point. Last time I went there was a good 10 years ago in November for the Santa train ride and Christmas lights. Managed to get my daughter on 2 rides and then she got stuck in an indoor ball pit and I had to jump in to pull her out
I went with my Daughter then when my son got into Thomas we wanted to hit it on the way to the Cape but I kept seeing angry comments on facebook about when they were going to re-open, etc. Thomas land was cool, not sure it is worth it without.

Another good and free spot is Woods Hole. They have an aquarium and Oceanographic visitors center. Good way to kill a few hours.

• Love
Reactions: TD Charlie

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Agreed!

I grew up going to Riverside every summer since it was less than an hour from my grandparents house in CT. So much fun. The Flume, flying swings and Carousel were my favorites.

I loved going on the flying swings at Rockypoint.

Every summer the church would take the choir and alter boys/girls to Canobie Lake as a reward for singing/serving during the school year. We had a blast. The Yankee Cannonball and that spinny wheel that is at every carnival were our go to's along with the amusment park games.

So many memories. We never did Storyland or Santa's Village tho.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I grew up going to Riverside every summer since it was less than an hour from my grandparents house in CT. So much fun. The Flume, flying swings and Carousel were my favorites.

Every summer the church would take the choir and alter boys/girls to Canobie Lake as a reward for singing/serving during the school year. We had a blast. The Yankee Cannonball and that spinny wheel that is at every carnival were our go to's along with the amusment park games.

In middle school every year in May there was some kind of concert band competition or something that we'd go to that must've been somewhere near Springfield and then they'd take us straight to Six Flags after.

I'm not a big theme park guy because I hate heights and rollercoasters. Plus I don't like crowds and being in the sun.

Ironically I'm being dragged to Knotts Berry Farm this Saturday for someone's birthday. Blah.

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
In middle school every year in May there was some kind of concert band competition or something that we'd go to that must've been somewhere near Springfield and then they'd take us straight to Six Flags after.

I'm not a big theme park guy because I hate heights and rollercoasters. Plus I don't like crowds and being in the sun.

Ironically I'm being dragged to Knotts Berry Farm this Saturday for someone's birthday. Blah.
I haven't been to a park since Disney in December 2019. I won't do thrill ride stuff. I nealy puked on Soarin'. Just too much for me

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
I keep hearing job opportunities in Boston popping up....
As someone who looked into moving to NS for a while and read a lot of reddit on the topic and found alot of Canadiens wanting to move to the USA, it seems like Boston is as expensive as Toronto, but you get paid a lot more. And since you are in a high paying job you will get good vacation and health insurance. Our health system sucks in a lot of ways, but we do seem to have more doctors than Canada.

Reactions: NeelyDan

Johnny Upton

Jul 5, 2003
Boston

I went on some of those summer trips with the church, too. The bus ride from Hyde Park to NH must have felt like an eternity for the 1 priest and couple of chaperones having to deal with 40 or so screaming maniacs. Those were fun trips though!

Reactions: Alicat

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I keep hearing job opportunities in Boston popping up....
I got a 3 bed rental available a half hour south with your name on it.

I haven't been to a park since Disney in December 2019. I won't do thrill ride stuff. I nealy puked on Soarin'. Just too much for me
That one's not so bad if you close your eyes next time. Then again, it isn't very fun if you aren't looking either.

• Love
Reactions: NeelyDan and Alicat

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
I haven't been following along, what was the gist of this case?
In a nutshell...

A Boston Police officer named John O'Keefe was found dead outside the home of a fellow Boston Police officer following a night of drinking.

The Prosecution says that O'Keefe was run over by his girlfriend, Karen Read. Police "found" pieces of a broken taillight near the body, they have witnesses that claim they heard a distraught Read say "I hit him" multiple times, and they have voicemails left by Read where she is clearly pretty upset with O'Keefe.

The Defense claims that O'Keefe went into the house where he was involved in some sort of physical altercation, and then his body was dumped on the front lawn. They have experts who claim that O'Keefe's injuries are not consistent with being hit by a car, that O'Keefe had dog bites on his arm, and evidence that someone in the house Googled "How long to die in cold" hours before O'Keefe's body was discovered.

And then on top of that, the whole case was investigated by Massachusetts State Troopers who come across as shady, to put it mildly. There's a Federal Grand Jury that's believed to be looking into the police that conducted the investigation, and the lead investigator was relieved of his duties yesterday, hours after the judge declared a mistrial.

Reactions: TD Charlie

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Took me over 3 hours to drive to the Brigham one time. On the contrary, I've gone from my couch to Logan and back to my couch in an hour.
Marblehead to Boston was an hour, no matter what time of the day/week it was. Longest 16 miles ever. But once you got there it was great, everyone avoided it in the summer. Would highly recommend for people who will only work in Boston.

Not affordable but surprisingly less expensive than alot of towns that bring less to the table.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad