Speculation: #Melnkyout...The time is NOW!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will you boycott the Sens over the next 6-8 weeks to put added pressure on Melnyk?

• Total voters

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
This team is going nowhere and this owner is going to GTFO.

Hate to say it, but you can't force him out. Numbers don't lie. The team starts to win, butts go back into seats.

The boycott will not work. However, this is not saying I don't want him out. I just don't see the effectiveness of the boycott to doing so, with a guy like Melnyk. Hard to get under a guy's skin, when he doesn't even reside in the country his purchased hockey team plays in.

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
Lets not forget, that it was staffers from the Minister in charge of the NCC that reached out to the Senators Owner, in the summer of 2014, to get him involved in the re-development process for Lebreton Flats.

That is how the forced marriage between The Senators and Trinity began.

They suggested it. No one forced them. They are adults. You're desperately trying to pin this on the NCC for some reason.

Reactions: Deku

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Not necessarily taking any sides here... but why do you keep including everyone in your response to the posts?

I am not the type to exclude anyone. But I am not sure I follow, am I pushing a button that messages everyone? Or is there 6000 quotes when I post? What do you mean?

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Bankrupt an nhl team? We’re bankrupting a greedy billionaire who uses fear as a tool against his own fans. This team is going nowhere and this owner is going to GTFO.

Investors will stop giving him free money and they will come a knocking on his door for payments. He won’t have that and have no choice but to sell. Get out of here with your pro melnyk BS.

“If you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything”. Don’t be a sheep. Be a wolf.

Lets say the boycott works well and revenue drops 8 million, do you think EM eats that loss? Do you think he will get scared and sell, or do you think he will simply replace Stone and Douche with 2 rookies and still be up a million?
I think it's fairly obvious what happens and it isnt what your selling. On top of that, EM will have the team listed as a seperate entity, so you might be able to damage the sens finances but your not bankrupting EM at all.

Now if you really drive the teams value into the dirt, the team will be moved to a city where its value is high and every single owner will be on board, they will not help fans in OTT drag down the perceived value of a NHL franchise, it would bring down the value of all the teams.
This also goes for sales, the list of people that will give EM 500 million for a team then spend another 400 on a rink is realistically no one. Its more likely another city with a rink ready to go buys the team, this way the NHL can save face and keep its crazy valuations intact. Also any potential buyer and Bettman know that if the team ever sucks again not only will the fans not show they will organize and try to bankrupt again, this makes moving the team a safer bet.

I would't be so sure your theory where someone spends 1 billion dollars on a bankrupt hockey team in ottawa makes the most sense.

Last edited:

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
Lets say the boycott works well and revenue drops 8 million, do you think EM eats that loss? Do you think he will get scared and sell, or do you think he will simply replace Stone and *****e with 2 rookies and still be up a million?
I think it's fairly obvious what happens and it isnt what your selling. On top of that, EM will have the team listed as a seperate entity, so you might be able to damage the sens finances but your not bankrupting EM at all.

Now if you really drive the teams value into the dirt, the team will be moved to a city where its value is high and every single owner will be on board, they will not help fans in OTT drag down the perceived value of a NHL franchise, it would bring down the value of all the teams.
This also goes for sales, the list of people that will give EM 500 million for a team then spend another 400 on a rink is realistically no one. Its more likely another city with a rink ready to go buys the team, this way the NHL can save face and keep its crazy valuations intact. Also any potential buyer and Bettman know that if the team ever sucks again not only will the fans not show they will organize and try to bankrupt again, this makes moving the team a safer bet.

I would't be so sure your theory where someone spends 1 billion dollars on a bankrupt hockey team in ottawa makes the most sense.

First thing, we will never see another relocation in today's NHL when groups are ready to build arenas and buy an expansion team for 650mil+, there is more money to be made that way where each owner get their share from it .

The reason Sens fans are revolting against Melnyk is blatant sabotaging of the team and years of abuse: Driving Alfredsson out of town, threatening to move the team at the outdoor game, having the best player in franchise history leave so he doesn't have to pay him, trading picks just to save a little money, running a bare bones scouting and support staff, naming himself CEO, and just to top it off asking fans for a new liver. Melnyk could sell, and the team could suck for the next 10 years but as long as the new ownership doesn't do anything remotely close to what I listed the team will have people at the games.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
First thing, we will never see another relocation in today's NHL when groups are ready to build arenas and buy an expansion team for 650mil+, there is more money to be made that way where each owner get their share from it .

The reason Sens fans are revolting against Melnyk is blatant sabotaging of the team and years of abuse: Driving Alfredsson out of town, threatening to move the team at the outdoor game, having the best player in franchise history leave so he doesn't have to pay him, trading picks just to save a little money, running a bare bones scouting and support staff, naming himself CEO, and just to top it off asking fans for a new liver. Melnyk could sell, and the team could suck for the next 10 years but as long as the new ownership doesn't do anything remotely close to what I listed the team will have people at the games.
Saying teams will never locate is likely untrue. If for instance Melnyk gets squeezed to the point he needs to sell and there is no buyer willing to Keep the team in Ottawa AND meet a price acceptable to Betteman then I could see a move. I do however agree that the league would not allow an owner to relocate and maintain ownership.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

The only way people will be spending money like that are if the valuations stay high, if a local bidder in Ottawa wont pay the full value of a NHL team (500 ish without a rink) the team has to move in order to keep that 650 value for new teams. The reason you say the NHL wont move a team is the reason they would move the team.

Its a small market team. Players will always leave over money, the budget will always be less then people want. So if the fans wont support a small market team because it wont spend money... Well that seems like a no win situation. And if it did sell, at that value... someone would either owe a ton of money or expect a large return. I can't see the budget being any better under those conditions.

The owner didn't get along with THE ALF? He was great and I mean great but good luck convincing any future buyer or any other owner how thats a good reason to bankrupt a team. It's a bunch of petty crap that was never a real issue untill the team sucked.

You can't say the NHL will never move a team. That is not true and it has never been.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Can't find a link yet by they mentioned on the radio that Watson apparently responded to Ruszkowski's comments pointing out that of course the city partnered in revitalizing an asset it owned, where as it does not own any part of Lebreton. Also apparently mentioned the Sens didn't want a transit levy like the Redblacks have on tickets, and they wanted no property taxes for the arena.

Can't blame the team for asking for the moon I guess, but it seems they were continuing to do so well after the city made it quite clear that there would be no such financial aide coming from the city.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Lets say the boycott works well and revenue drops 8 million, do you think EM eats that loss? Do you think he will get scared and sell, or do you think he will simply replace Stone and *****e with 2 rookies and still be up a million?

Salary cap floor...look it up.

Eugene's debt financing model leaves him especially susceptible to a drop in revenue.

He can choose to 1) dip into his personal fortune, 2) borrow more against his asset (thus lowering his return when he sells) or 3) sell the team.

We all know what this greedy bastard will do.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Eugene's debt financing model leaves him especially susceptible to a drop in revenue.

He can choose to 1) dip into his personal fortune, 2) borrow more against his asset (thus lowering his return when he sells) or 3) sell the team.

Cap floor can be met by doing things like trading assets for the Datsyuks and Clarksos of the world.

As far as the 3 options, I imagine option 2 would be his preference.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
He will chose to trade a good young player for a injured player whos insurence pays the way.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The only way people will be spending money like that are if the valuations stay high, if a local bidder in Ottawa wont pay the full value of a NHL team (500 ish without a rink) the team has to move in order to keep that 650 value for new teams. The reason you say the NHL wont move a team is the reason they would move the team.

The 650 value for new teams isn't tied solely to the purchase price of an existing team; it does and should cost more to buy a expansion rights because you are taking the NHL revenue pie and dividing it up in to smaller shares when you add a team; the expansion fee is in part compensation to every team for reducing their share of league revenues like national TV contracts in perpetuity. Moving a team doesn't affect that. Heck, more than half the teams in the league were valued by Forbes beneath the 500 mil VGK paid after they paid the expansion fee.

If the NHL starts letting teams move, all the sudden potential expansion locations think they could not only get a team at a discount because they have leverage over a struggling owner needing to sell, but they also wouln't have to pay the expansion tax for splitting that giant revenue pie by one more team.

Reactions: RyCam and bert

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

Its a small market team. Players will always leave over money, the budget will always be less then people want. So if the fans wont support a small market team because it wont spend money... Well that seems like a no win situation. And if it did sell, at that value... someone would either owe a ton of money or expect a large return. I can't see the budget being any better under those conditions.

The owner didn't get along with THE ALF? He was great and I mean great but good luck convincing any future buyer or any other owner how thats a good reason to bankrupt a team. It's a bunch of petty crap that was never a real issue untill the team sucked.

You can't say the NHL will never move a team. That is not true and it has never been.
So much stupidity in one post. Well done.

Everyone knows the problem in this market will be gone with the owner.

He chose the debt financing model for the team. It is NOT the only option. Check out TB and what their owner has done in a market with similar revenue.

The Sens will not move with Eugene as the owner. The BOG knows the issue in this market is Eugene and they would love to rid themselves of the loose cannon who couldn't even keep his mouth shut during the last lockout. They have the owners of Bauer ready and willing to take over and build a downtown arena. Eugene has no allies.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

Lets say he does sell and in order to perserve the NHL's value they decide to sell to the highest bidder. Not in ottawa

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Cap floor can be met by doing things like trading assets for the Datsyuks and Clarksos of the world.

As far as the 3 options, I imagine option 2 would be his preference.
Option 2 still costs him money on sale and means he'll lose more each year as he services that debt.

There are a limited number of injured contracts available. Every time he trades away assets to acquire one, he'll alienate more fans and empty the arena even more and costing him more.

Eugene is screwed.

Reactions: bert

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Lets say he does sell and in order to perserve the NHL's value they decide to sell to the highest bidder. Not in ottawa
Sorry champ. The NHL will preserve a well established market with solid revenue and a strong TV deal. There are local buyers willing to move this team to a downtown arena.

The team isn't going anywhere.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Option 2 still costs him money on sale and means he'll lose more each year as he services that debt.

There are a limited number of injured contracts available. Every time he trades away assets to acquire one, he'll alienate more fans and empty the arena even more and costing him more.

Eugene is screwed.
Losses are not the worst thing. Debt servicing is tax deductible as well.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
The 650 value for new teams isn't tied solely to the purchase price of an existing team; it does and should cost more to buy a expansion rights because you are taking the NHL revenue pie and dividing it up in to smaller shares when you add a team; the expansion fee is in part compensation to every team for reducing their share of league revenues like national TV contracts in perpetuity. Moving a team doesn't affect that. Heck, more than half the teams in the league were valued by Forbes beneath the 500 mil VGK paid after they paid the expansion fee.

If the NHL starts letting teams move, all the sudden potential expansion locations think they could not only get a team at a discount because they have leverage over a struggling owner needing to sell, but they also wouln't have to pay the expansion tax for splitting that giant revenue pie by one more team.
This post will be ignored by the posters acting as fear mongers trying to convince fans they must cave to Eugene or lose the team.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Will never happen.

Would be career suicide for a hockey player, to publicly put an owner on blast. If you're an elite athlete you may bounce back, but many owners would shy away from giving you a contract if they feel you will be a headache to deal with.

You through it, look like that person who bashes his prior job during an interview. It looks bad on you, not Melnyk.

I don't think fans will ever know how bad things are behind closed doors, as no player will want to risk their careers and reputations openly saying anything who is terribly thin skinned and lawsuit happy.
Not if it happens with 3 players in a row and anyone who is paying attention to the situation. Life is not that black and white. Do you really think the other owners dont know Eugene Melnyk?.... He is an embarrassment to the league and is costing them all money they want him gone as much as we do.

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC

Don't see why the valuations won't stay this high, 650mil is the entry price for Seattle that's a 150mil bump from Vegas, now I know it's not going to be that high of a bump every time.

I doubt the Sens are worth more than 500mil without the rink considering Melnyk claims the team is 120mil in dept.

Being a budget team is one thing, but what Melnyk is doing is another.

Melnyk and Alfredsson not getting along is one of the thousand things that is pushing Sens fans to to this point it doesn't take a genius to see that, Melnyk has made the Sens the biggest laughing stock in the 3 major NA sports I've seen memes and jokes about us on the NBA subreddits it's pretty bad. I'm confident that any future buyers or owners will see this and know the blame is on Melnyk and nobody else.

The Melnyk issues were there when we were good and are still here now that we are bad, Hossa trade as an example or the fact that they had to renegotiate Alfredsson's contract a while back.

Reactions: Danythegod and bert

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
So much stupidity in one post. Well done.

Everyone knows the problem in this market will be gone with the owner.

He chose the debt financing model for the team. It is NOT the only option. Check out TB and what their owner has done in a market with similar revenue.

The Sens will not move with Eugene as the owner. The BOG knows the issue in this market is Eugene and they would love to rid themselves of the loose cannon who couldn't even keep his mouth shut during the last lockout. They have the owners of Bauer ready and willing to take over and build a downtown arena. Eugene has no allies.

Enough with the insults.First of all i said sell. Second you are making shit up. Yes they know the issue in Ottawa is some pouty fans, they dont give a crap what he said during the lockout thats just grasping at straws, i doubt you could even find an owner that remembers what he said, half of them probably have no clue he said anything.
If you think any owner gives a crap about EK or the ALF or what EM said that one time you are dead wrong. They are not on your side they are not out to get him and they don't care what he spends his budget on.
You act like you and the owners are going to get that EM, it's absurd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad