Speculation: #Melnkyout...The time is NOW!

Will you boycott the Sens over the next 6-8 weeks to put added pressure on Melnyk?

• Total voters

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Name one owner that has expressed or hinted they want him gone?
Lets turn this on you, name one owner that has gone on the record and said that they want him to stay??

Nobody knows this for sure, but based on his antics and the fact that he has no money, I am willing to bet that there are more owners that want him out than who want him to stay.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
No Im saying if the market in Ott cant support a 900 million dollar hockey team it might have to move.
I hope it does not play out like that, but it's an honest question I am wondering about.
Is there enough profits that investers will spend that?
Let’s ignore that first sentence.

Gate revenue would easily be at the very least average with a new respected owner and a downtown location. Now add on the fact that we have one of the biggest TV deals in the league.

The notion that all of a sudden we can’t support a team is ridiculous.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Lets turn this on you, name one owner that has gone on the record and said that they want him to stay??

Nobody knows this for sure, but based on his antics and the fact that he has no money, I am willing to bet that there are more owners that want him out than who want him to stay.

You didnt turn it around. Like you said noone knows. I called him on it as hes trying to use it as a fact. And your betting does not change the fact or make it true or more true then not.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
So much stupidity in one post. Well done.

Everyone knows the problem in this market will be gone with the owner.

He chose the debt financing model for the team. It is NOT the only option. Check out TB and what their owner has done in a market with similar revenue.

The Sens will not move with Eugene as the owner. The BOG knows the issue in this market is Eugene and they would love to rid themselves of the loose cannon who couldn't even keep his mouth shut during the last lockout. They have the owners of Bauer ready and willing to take over and build a downtown arena. Eugene has no allies.

Tampa loses money I doubt pointing them out as the model franchise is the best plan

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
500 for a team 400 for a rink.
I really doubt that the rink is 400 lol. Rogers Place in Edmonton costed 480 mil and it’s 20 years newer than CTC.

If it is, then what an investment it’s been for Eugene! All that crying about losing 10 mil a year seems petty, no?

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne
Tampa loses money I doubt pointing them out as the model franchise is the best plan
And Vinnik probably doesn't care because his asset has increased an estimated 300% since he bought it and he can offset his estimated 1.8M annual losses with the depreciation of buying the franchise. In simple terms he's made, on paper, a huge amount of money. You have absolutely no idea.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I really doubt that the rink is 400 lol. Rogers Place in Edmonton costed 480 mil and it’s 20 years newer than CTC.

If it is, then what an investment it’s been for Eugene! All that crying about losing 10 mil a year seems petty, no?

As Bettman said. A team is viable in Ottawa if they can get a rink down town.
Im not sure if he was talking smack to pressure the city into helping out EM with the rink or if he meant it.
It would be weird for him to help out someone he wants to run off tho

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
The most recent forbes I saw said they do.
The Forbes #'s don't include Vinik's other business operations that are related to the Lightning.

He's smart enough not to care about a paper loss on one small aspect of his operations when the value of his asset is skyrocketing.

Lightning owner building legacy of winning, community involvement

Meanwhile Melnyk and his representatives on this board choose to bash fans with meaningless paper losses.

I can see why you don't want to compare.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Well now he has to no matter what, at least the boycott people will pout and blame someone else saying.that the team has no money. Its a funny circle.
This team hasn't made a financial committment since Bobby Ryan and we're supposed to believe his fake rebuild firesale won't just continue. He can't afford to operate in this league anymore and its not because attendance is down this year. Its time for him to let go to someone with the financial security and flexibility needed to run a pro sports franchise. The way they have run this franchise is embarassing, his recent marketing hires have embarassed themselves, he wont hold his incompetent gm accountable. He just looks like a sinking millionaire trying to play a billionaires game as he treats his hockey team like his red-headed step child.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You didnt turn it around. Like you said noone knows. I called him on it as hes trying to use it as a fact. And your betting does not change the fact or make it true or more true then not.

You also did not respond to the post below that I have now had to bring up twice. A very common theme in this thread for you. It typically happens when you are proven wrong or have no argument anymore.

First of all how about you address the post I just quoted you on where your argument is falling apart and dont try and deflect to something else.

There is revenue sharing in the NHL if you are familiar with the current CBA. Melnyk has been driving the market value down for his team while lowering revenues. On top of making many embarrassing public displays of incompetency and a clear lack of self awareness that is hurting his brand which in turn hurts the branding of the NHL. I dont imagine you are in any actual business partnerships but this behavior is frowned upon.

Of course no one has come out and said anything likw that, it likely violates a litany of rules and regulations as being owners and partners. It doesnt mean we cant use facts to come to a very obvious conclusion. Melnyk is bad for business.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Another Gem.

In 2017 they were ranked the number 1 professional sports franchise in north America (out of 122) by ESPN. I'd be happy to use them as a model.

Lol can wait to hear the comeback he has for this one.

Just go home @supsens you're done.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
This team hasn't made a financial committment since Bobby Ryan and we're supposed to believe his fake rebuild firesale won't just continue. He's can't afford to operate in this league anymore and its not because attendance is down this year. Its time for him to let go to someone with the financial security and flexibility needed to run a pro sports franchise. The way they have run this franchise is embarassing, his recent marketing hires have embarassed themselves, he wont hold his incompetent gm accountable. He just looks like a sinking millionaire trying to play a billionaires game.
Even his plan for an arena doesn’t include a financial commitment lol.

This guy wants people do give him everything while he half-asses it.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
Not if it happens with 3 players in a row

That's the problem. You need strength in numbers. IE An entire team behind you. Many will agree, but very few will want to risk their jobs.

Same reason you won't often get mass walkouts at corporations known for poor treatment of their employees.

High turnover, sure.

Alfredsson waited until he retired to make an off the record statement that went public.

He knows the risk, so wasn't willing to risk a potential role with the Senators to get the statement out. All it takes is him (Melnyk) pulling strings, and you find yourself blacklisted.

Also, Melnyk could sue and create a nightmare for that hockey player.

No player will risk it. Most would request a trade if things got that bad.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That's the problem. You need strength in numbers. IE An entire team behind you. Many will agree, but very few will want to risk their jobs.

Same reason you won't often get mass walkouts at corporations known for poor treatment of their employees.

High turnover, sure.

Alfredsson waited until he retired to make an off the record statement that went public.

He knows the risk, so wasn't willing to risk a potential role with the Senators to get the statement out. All it takes is him (Melnyk) pulling strings, and you find yourself blacklisted.

Also, Melnyk could sue and create a nightmare for that hockey player.

No player will risk it. Most would request a trade if things got that bad.

These arent massive companies where the positions are easy to fill these are people in the top 1% of the 99.99999%. Absolutely no one will be blacklisted for stating the obvious. The only people that dont see how obviously poor Melnyk treats everyone around him are people that are on payrole and are serving a purpose or people that just want to argue for the sake of it while throwing common sense out the window.

Whether the statements are public or not everyone knows why... Its blatantly obvious. Also if you are going to quote me where my entire post addresses your comment you sure as hell better quote the entire post, incredibly disingenuous to do what you did.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Will never happen.

Would be career suicide for a hockey player, to publicly put an owner on blast. If you're an elite athlete you may bounce back, but many owners would shy away from giving you a contract if they feel you will be a headache to deal with.

You through it, look like that person who bashes his prior job during an interview. It looks bad on you, not Melnyk.

I don't think fans will ever know how bad things are behind closed doors, as no player will want to risk their careers and reputations openly saying anything who is terribly thin skinned and lawsuit happy.
Lol what? No, you're out to lunch.

Sure, if they went out and detailed every piece of gossip about him they may face some bias from other owners in the league, but they aren't going to be blacklisted for alluding to the circus the owner created here as the reason they wouldn't sign. It's not like these other owners are a bunch of mindless drones either, they all likely see the realities here and don't just blindly follow him because he's part of their exclusive club. If anything they're all likely upset at him for creating this circus and seeing the fans vote with their wallets because of it.

Reactions: Deku and bert

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

Sure, if they went out and detailed every piece of gossip about him they may face some bias from other owners in the league, but they aren't going to be blacklisted for alluding to the circus the owner created here as the reason they wouldn't sign. It's not like these other owners are a bunch of mindless drones either, they all likely see the realities here and don't just blindly follow him because he's part of their exclusive club. If anything they're all likely upset at him for creating this circus and seeing the fans vote with their wallets because of it.

Im sure it's common for all owners to make impassioned speeches to the NHL BOG defending their ownership but just the only one reported on just happened to be Melnyk's, the guy is so unlucky you see, all owners routinely have roughly 100 negative incidents a year happen to them but his again are the only ones reported on...very very unlucky!

Reactions: Deku

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

See you applied common sense. Seems like something that is seriously lacking with the pro Melnyk crowd.

Egg

Sep 3, 2007
Absolutely no one will be blacklisted for stating the obvious.

It's the same reason you don't bash your prior workplace (or employer) during an interview. If you can't see how this can hurt your career, that's fine.

Guaranteed the players fed up but remaining silent, can.

Whether the statements are public or not everyone knows why

Nobody truly knows how bad, unless you have worked for him.

We only know based on any reports or lawsuits put up against him. They don't tell the full scale of the problem.

Saying exactly how bad things are, are blatant is you knowing exactly what is going on behind closed doors which would be false.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad