Speculation: #Melnkyout...The time is NOW!

Will you boycott the Sens over the next 6-8 weeks to put added pressure on Melnyk?

• Total voters

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
2p62f8.jpg

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I haven't seen this movie in forever.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Do you really think the NHL would take a noticeable hit if the Sens moved, especially in response to terrible attendance, regardless of what excuses fans shouted as the team left? The answer is no.

IF, by some weird twist in reality, EM was able to move his franchise to a USA destination, the NHL would benefit monetarily, in the long run, as there would be USD revenues coming in and higher TV rating/contract.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
The NHL would have taken even less of a hit in 2003 and they didn’t let them move then.

Sens will not be moved via sale.

Direct relocation on the other hand is a possibility if Melnyk takes it that far unfortunately...

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Melynk or bust? Come-on you don't believe that do you? I guess no NHL franchise's will ever change hands again in the NHL? Maybe not local investors , butbthat don't mean crap but investor groups or billionaires who want in and very few NHL franchise's come available. Their was a offer this summer. I assume their probably a few interested but letting EM get a little more desperate before they make a play for the team is probably their their feelings cause right now EM feels like his over mortaged Sens financial situation is worth more then it is.

We all know EM is very dirty business man and very cheap and since coming to Ottawa has basically gone from billionaire to paper billionaire. We can't believe a word he says or the finances of the team but we have had a glimpse of his business style and my money is that he is in way over his head and has cooked the books.

I've seen a lot of this idea that Melnyk has the final say on the sale price of the franchise. I totally disagree. I think the NHL is setting the prices on franchises, especially considering the two hefty expansion fees we've seen tabled over the last 3 years. I can't imagine the NHL would be ok with any franchise selling for any less than at least the most recent expansion fee of $650 million. It just doesn't make any sense for them to allow it.

Which brings us back to the current problem: who is going to pay at least $650 million for the Senators + at least $600 million to build a new arena + increase yearly operational costs $30-40 million? That is an obscene amount of money even for some of the wealthiest people to spend on a market that, at its best, is a small Canadian market.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
IF, by some weird twist in reality, EM was able to move his franchise to a USA destination, the NHL would benefit monetarily, in the long run, as there would be USD revenues coming in and higher TV rating/contract.
FFS, this is assuming Melnyk spends and runs things properly. With his track record here, and everywhere else for that matter, there is absolutely no indication he can do that.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
What about Winnipeg? Or do you assume that they wouldn't sell?

Big difference is Winnipeg is owned by the richest man in Canada $25 billion, the Quebec City arena is owned by Quebecror, and it’s in massive debt and PKP is only worth $1.5 billion and he’s a seperatist. He tried to buy the Habs and the NHL didn’t want his politics intertwined with the game so they sold to Molson instead.

Quebec City id love to have a team, but Montreal will have an MLB team before QC gets an NHL team, and Montreal doesn’t have baseball stadium - so stadiums don’t mean much

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
FFS, this is assuming Melnyk spends and runs things properly. With his track record here, and everywhere else for that matter, there is absolutely no indication he can do that.

Do you not see a difference between the potential USD revenue streams in US city, vs Ottawa?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
That’s an irresponsible statement.
No it isnt...How is EM supposed to relocate???There are such things as market/tv agreements,that EM doesnt own ,and would take years of red tape for him to contemplate even trying to make this happen...He isnt moving period

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Do you not see a difference between the potential USD revenue streams in US city, vs Ottawa?
Certainly. I don't dispute that.

Do you not see the difference between an owner committed to winning vs one committed to saving money and penny pinching and shipping out star players, in a new US market?

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Ottawa has had a good to great attendance record for how many non corporate seats they have to sell and someone here is actually questioning fan commitment? The fans have always come until they lost the trust of management and keeping their franchise players in Alfie and Karlsson

All while the TEAM has lacked in marketing and fan engagement until the fans came out and lashed back at the team did they start to 'try' ie parking :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

give me a f***ing break

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Ottawa has had a good to great attendance record for how many non corporate seats they have to sell and someone here is actually questioning fan commitment? The fans have always come until they lost the trust of management and keeping their franchise players in Alfie and Karlsson

All while the TEAM has lacked in marketing and fan engagement until the fans came out and lashed back at the team did they start to 'try' ie parking :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

give me a ****ing break

This is the effort the organization gives us for loyalty. :laugh:

Ottawa-Senators-25th-logo.jpg

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

give me a ****ing break

Was it not Bobby Mac who made a statement related to this topic that Ottawa likely has the most "real" fans actually paying for tickets because of said lack of corporate support, not sure it helps or hinders the argument but the non corporate fanbase here has been strong imo.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The money it would cost,would make it not worth the effort...Ottawa is not a failed market ,we just have had failed ownership
I keep hearing that, but we have only ever had failed ownership, Firestone, Brydon, Melnyk. At some point it’s not the singer it’s the song.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
No it isnt...How is EM supposed to relocate???There are such things as market/tv agreements,that EM doesnt own ,and would take years of red tape for him to contemplate even trying to make this happen...He isnt moving period
Getting out of a contract is not impossible. It’s not upfront money so a small penalty would likely be all that is required.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Certainly. I don't dispute that.

Do you not see the difference between an owner committed to winning vs one committed to saving money and penny pinching and shipping out star players, in a new US market?

Are you assuming that revenues in a US market would be worse than in Ottawa?

When an owner has stated, on multiple occasions, in the past 3 or 4 seasons, that he is linking the operational budget for his franchise to the revenues it brings in, are you surprised that operational costs are being cut back?

There could be a case made, that moving a franchise from a small Canadian market to a US based market, would bring in move revenues for that franchise.

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada
I keep hearing that, but we have only ever had failed ownership, Firestone, Brydon, Melnyk. At some point it’s not the singer it’s the song.

Alright, so this misery has to stop...relocate to one of those great markets where the Euge can make big bucks without owning the rink.

Reactions: topshelf15

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad