Proposal: McGroarty to Montreal

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Not really no. The reason someone might be available affects their value. Just as how they play after their draft year and any injuries they have since their draft year or any off ice issues they've had since. The idea that because one team picked a player at a certain point in the draft, that means their trade value is at least the same pick 25 months later defies both logic and history.

Based on your premise, no one ever gets traded because it’s built in that they’re going to be lowballed.

Interesting idea in theory though.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Or maybe McGroarty would just rather go back to the University of Michigan for one more year rather than ride the buses in the AHL if Winnipeg will not commit to him being on the NHL roster? That's certainly his choice, and one I do not see an issue with.
No issue with a kid demanding to be put on the team?
Red flag of sorts for most.......
I am not familiar with the player, but is he good enough to pull this off?

Good on Chevy for trying to keep the kid grounded....

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
No issue with a kid demanding to be put on the team?
Red flag of sorts for most.......
I am not familiar with the player, but is he good enough to pull this off?

Good on Chevy for trying to keep the kid grounded....
I guess it's a matter of your point of view. Some may call it "demanding to be put on the team", while others see it as "would rather stay in college another year instead of playing in the AHL".

I really don't have an issue with this.

Reactions: BLONG7

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
View attachment 900958

1723638881666.png

• Haha
Reactions: All Mighty

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The real question is why would Hughes turn down a substantial offer for Anderson?

It was made before last season which was a season where Anderson went backwards. I believe Lebrun's quote was... "I can assure you a 1st was offered for Anderson". Anderson's value today is not the same as it was before last season (like it or not). Several fans have been low on him and they might be right but he remains a big boy that skates well and this is attractive to the contenders. His salary is not.

A very frustrating player because when he is on his game and shows up, he is effective. However, he is just not consistent. Habs best play here is to try to have him in a larger trade package or just let him play out this season. I'm sure he comes into this year with more energy and knows how bad his season was last year. I expect some sort of rebound.

If Lucic and Dubois can be traded, so can Anderson. It comes down to how much the Habs want to retain and if a contract comes back. I don't think he value goes down from today so I think he's on our roster this season and improves.... just don't know how much

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It was made before last season which was a season where Anderson went backwards. I believe Lebrun's quote was... "I can assure you a 1st was offered for Anderson". Anderson's value today is not the same as it was before last season (like it or not). Several fans have been low on him and they might be right but he remains a big boy that skates well and this is attractive to the contenders. His salary is not.

A very frustrating player because when he is on his game and shows up, he is effective. However, he is just not consistent. Habs best play here is to try to have him in a larger trade package or just let him play out this season. I'm sure he comes into this year with more energy and knows how bad his season was last year. I expect some sort of rebound.

If Lucic and Dubois can be traded, so can Anderson. It comes down to how much the Habs want to retain and if a contract comes back. I don't think he value goes down from today so I think he's on our roster this season and improves.... just don't know how much
The question is, why would the Habs not take a 1st for him when offered? Seems like he doesn't really fit their contention window.

Reactions: Xirik

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
The question is, why would the Habs not take a 1st for him when offered? Seems like he doesn't really fit their contention window.

Is it possible that GMs lie when talking to insiders to manipulate the situation in their favor?

In this case, maybe a GM was offering a 2nd, so Hughes goes to LeBrun with this hoping the team will up its offer?

You’ve asked the right question. The comments and what happened in reality don’t reconcile.

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
Hindsight 20/20. Big mistake for sure. At time Habs were tiny, soft club. This was before Wifi. Anderson was on pace for 20 goals. Hughes probably wanted touch of size, toughness from somebody who can pop 20.
It's easy to see why most teams need someone with Anderson's attributes when he's on his game especially for the playoffs. He will be in demand again in the Spring even with a moderately successful season.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022

If it’s a mid 1st that requires retaining 50% salary for multiple years it’s an easy no for management. At this point you keep him on the roster and you unload him in a few years with less term, the cap going up, young players pushing him out.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Simple. They would have had to retain for several years. A first was not nearly enough. With no retention it would have been done.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I think also it is over for trading him right now.

The draft was the best place to do so... Now he's headed to Michigan again.

They'll try to trade him at next year's draft. Hopefully for Winnipeg he performs very well, like Adam Fox did for the Canes. Got them 2 second rounders, better than nothing... Kid will have all the leverage and be able to chose the team he wants to be traded to.

• Haha
Reactions: DingerMcSlapshot

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think also it is over for trading him right now.

The draft was the best place to do so... Now he's headed to Michigan again.

They'll try to trade him at next year's draft. Hopefully for Winnipeg he performs very well, like Adam Fox did for the Canes. Got them 2 second rounders, better than nothing... Kid will have all the leverage and be able to chose the team he wants to be traded to.
I’m not so sure of that. The kid wanted to play in the NHL this year. Next year he sure in the hell will not want to go back to college yet again if he doesn’t have a deal. I think he will be pretty open to anywhere that will give him a NHL roster spot. I wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up being the Jets if the kid comes back down to earth a bit.

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
The ship has sailed. IMHO, the time to trade for McG was at the draft. As a Hab fan, the most that I would have been comfortable trading would have been the second 1st round pick and Guhle.

I know that my fellow Hab fans would scream massive over payment, but I am not the biggest Guhle fan.
Lmao what? What makes McGroaty that valuable?

Reactions: viceroy

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
The ship has sailed. IMHO, the time to trade for McG was at the draft. As a Hab fan, the most that I would have been comfortable trading would have been the second 1st round pick and Guhle.

I know that my fellow Hab fans would scream massive over payment, but I am not the biggest Guhle fan.
Thanking jesus christ or whatever deity is listening that you are not Montreal's GM

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

Winnipeg would take Guhle alone and run. No need to add the 1st on top, that's overkill. Type of transaction that would get you fired instantly haha

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick

The Jets would be adding to McGroarty to get Guhle not the Habs adding a first to Guhle

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
It's easy to see why most teams need someone with Anderson's attributes when he's on his game especially for the playoffs. He will be in demand again in the Spring even with a moderately successful season.
I think Anderson will have bounce back season. He was coming bad injury. I remember he had shoulder injury in Colombus took him a year and half to get back to 20 goals.

I had high ankle sprain one. I was long while before I was close to 100%. It's not same as regular sprained ankle. I think I been better off if I broke my ankle.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint and kyne

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021

I’d say play him good minutes this season to pump up his value at the trade deadline. But man… he has zero IQ and drags down a line. I was high on him at first, but it’s just painful to watch at this point.

Winnipeg would take Guhle alone and run. No need to add the 1st on top, that's overkill. Type of transaction that would get you fired instantly haha
Guhle for McGroarty straight up would get KH fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad