Proposal: McGroarty to Montreal

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
That’s nice but the reason this is a thread is that he’s shown promise since being drafted. And as such, this offer in the OP can easily be beaten. It’s a 32 team league. Not sure why certain fans think their team is the only one interested in other players.
I agree with you. My post was in response to someone who said “nobody” would trade the #14 pick for a late 1st and 2 2nds, even though nearly that exact trade happened very recently.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sendhelplease

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
That’s nice but the reason this is a thread is that he’s shown promise since being drafted. And as such, this offer in the OP can easily be beaten. It’s a 32 team league. Not sure why certain fans think their team is the only one interested in other players.

And yet, Adam Fox rights were traded for 2nd + 3rd and Cutter Gauthier s rights (much better than McGroarty) for Drysdale (whose value has been reduced due to injuries) and a 2nd.

Not sure what you expect somebody to pay for McGroarty. As mentioned before a 1st (assuming FLA 1st) + 2x2nd is in line with a good comp (Connor Geekie) on draft day. Not saying it will happen just that the value seems to be in the right ballpark.

I think he will be a good player, but I don t see a superstar when I see His highlights and stats so maybe I am not the one pushing for the highest value.

Also with those NCAA players you need to factor in that some GMs won t take the risk to trade for them because they feel like WPG that he is not ready yet, or because they think he may let them down if he elects to in two years. You also have some teams which just don t have the assets, or are simply not interested. It is a 32 teams league but I would be surprised if more than 10 teams are realistically in the running for this player. Not saying at all he will go to MTL, just that I don t see him getting the prime assets (top 10 picks from what I understand) you seem to be looking for, esp. since a lottery team won t risk trading an unprotected first.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
And yet, Adam Fox rights were traded for 2nd + 3rd and Cutter Gauthier s rights (much better than McGroarty) for Drysdale (whose value has been reduced due to injuries) and a 2nd.

Not sure what you expect somebody to pay for McGroarty. As mentioned before a 1st (assuming FLA 1st) + 2x2nd is in line with a good comp (Connor Geekie) on draft day. Not saying it will happen just that the value seems to be in the right ballpark.

I think he will be a good player, but I don t see a superstar when I see His highlights and stats so maybe I am not the one pushing for the highest value.

Also with those NCAA players you need to factor in that some GMs won t take the risk to trade for them because they feel like WPG that he is not ready yet, or because they think he may let them down if he elects to in two years. You also have some teams which just don t have the assets, or are simply not interested. It is a 32 teams league but I would be surprised if more than 10 teams are realistically in the running for this player. Not saying at all he will go to MTL, just that I don t see him getting the prime assets (top 10 picks from what I understand) you seem to be looking for, esp. since a lottery team won t risk trading an unprotected first.

Sorry but if you’re Winnpeg, does this move the needle for you?

It’s one thing to trade up to draft at 14 but it’s a different story when a player drafted at 14 has increased his value since being drafted. The offer in the OP is a waste of everyone’s time. Winnipeg can do better than that.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Sorry but if you’re Winnpeg, does this move the needle for you?

It’s one thing to trade up to draft at 14 but it’s a different story when a player drafted at 14 has increased his value since being drafted. The offer in the OP is a waste of everyone’s time. Winnipeg can do better than that.

Sure if WPG wants to contend right now they likely can get a 3C like McLeod for McGroarty (see Savoie trade, hard to argue McGroarty has a lot more value than Savoie). They can also wait two years and get nothing. ;)

Again MTL fans have provided a sample of bad proposals across the years, c. 24OA, 38OA, 45OA for a guy who may never sign with you and has second line potential is not one of them.

As stated above, McGroarty is not even in the same ballpark as Gauthier and Gauthier s return was a former 6OA with injury history and likely not worth more than the 15OA at this stage and a 38OA equivalent. I don t kniw what you expect for McGroarty but WPG won t get Eichel value for him.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Why do some Hab fans always want damaged guys? I mean there are endless PLD threads. Now its Laine/McGroarty.

Use those picks or trade them for better options.....

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Sure if WPG wants to contend right now they likely can get a 3C like McLeod for McGroarty (see Savoie trade, hard to argue McGroarty has a lot more value than Savoie). They can also wait two years and get nothing. ;)

Again MTL fans have provided a sample of bad proposals across the years, c. 24OA, 38OA, 45OA for a guy who may never sign with you and has second line potential is not one of them.

As stated above, McGroarty is not even in the same ballpark as Gauthier and Gauthier s return was a former 6OA with injury history and likely not worth more than the 15OA at this stage and a 38OA equivalent. I don t kniw what you expect for McGroarty but WPG won t get Eichel value for him.

This offer is a bunch of fluff. It can and would likely be beaten by several other teams. His value has likely gone up since being drafted. And he's a lot closer to playing in the NHL than the players taken with the picks you're peddling. Saying its this offer or lose him for nothing ignores there are several other teams in the league and is borderline taunting.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Interesting. This is pretty close to the package I’m offering. McGroarty was picked 14.

The question here I think is how much does McGroarty last season raises his value. And him being “NHL ready”.
How about his attitude lowering his value??

Id pass if I were The Habs

The value is not close. Montreal needs to put its own first on the table or stop wasting everyone’s time.
I wouldn't even do the OP....and this one is downright laughable...

thanks for the laughs

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Ask yourself if you could trade those picks for where he was drafted. Answer is no.

Nobody will take a late 1st and 2 2nd for a high teen pick
You have no idea where that first will land. Also very convenient of you to leave out that the two 2nd are most likely high 30’s or low 40’s.

No interests in an unsigned McGro, I would never do this trade.
Let’s use a little bit of logic here. If Montreal acquires the right of McGroarty, the chances are that they talked to the agent/player and know he will sign

Reactions: Deus ex machina

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
How about his attitude lowering his value??

Id pass if I were The Habs

I wouldn't even do the OP....and this one is downright laughable...

thanks for the laughs

That’s good. Thanks for letting everyone know that you won’t be adding more 2nds or 3rds to the OP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
If the rumours are true (and I do stress rumours) then they already know he has no intention of signing in Winnipeg. If that's the case yiu could argue this in an overpayment for a kid who could decide to go thr free agency route instead of signing both whatever team trades for him. Again. That's if the rumours are true.
Rutger not signing in Winnipeg does nothing to his value if more than one other GM is interested and he's open to signing for whoever trades for him

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
This offer is a bunch of fluff. It can and would likely be beaten by several other teams. His value has likely gone up since being drafted. And he's a lot closer to playing in the NHL than the players taken with the picks you're peddling. Saying its this offer or lose him for nothing ignores there are several other teams in the league and is borderline taunting.

I have never said this is this offer or nothing lol. Let s see what happens you seem to think Mcgroarty will bring more than Gauthier, I don t, let s see what happens in the end.

You’d being the deal with the condition of him signing. Not trading for him blindly.

You re never sure, see Fox with CAR ;)

Reactions: Mrfenn92

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
There are no better options available.
Doing nothing is sometimes the better idea. Especially when a kid has already shown character issues so young.....
That’s good. Thanks for letting everyone know that you won’t be adding more 2nds or 3rds to the OP.
I wouldn't even offer anything for him. 20 years old and already character issues....pass

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
What character issues?
I think some people are seeing him as entitled. I don't know that that's fair or accurate. But you know, hockey forums. From all reports he's a great kid with strong character

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
No, there are no guarantees. Montreal is not a prize destination to play.

The Habs would have already negotiated the contract, possibly via WPG doing a sign and trade. I'm not sure why you're acting like this is some alien concept.

Pretty sure trade conditions depending on someone signing are no longer allowed.

Conditional picks depending on signing/re-signing are not allowed, but that has nothing to do with the current situation.

Reactions: Nico Cauzuki
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $472.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Andorra vs Malta