McDavid promotion and the hatred from fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Because he is an Oiler.

Any other team and the haters are lined up waiting for their turn to slurp him up.
Yes but you can hate the oilers and love McDavid , I don't like the oilers because they tanked for a decade to get him in the first place , dosent mean I gotta disrespect the greatest player since Lemieux just because he plays for a garbage franchise

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Yeah nobody hated on Crosby or Ovechkin, or Jagr or Lemieux , or Gretzky when he came into the league
The only people who hated on Gretzky were Islander fans when he came into the league.

Wayne Gretzky was a gift from God and was treated as such. If there was a least "hated" generational talent it sure as shit was Gretzky.

Lebron.... just jealousy and wanting to go "against the grain" cus it makes them feel unique

As it concerns LeFraud James, I could care less about his career because I could care less about basketball. What I dislike him for, among other non sports-related reasons, was him back in 2017 filing a fraudulent police report and never being held to account about his estate allegedly being sprayed with graffiti and making certain highly-publicized claims about the nature of that graffiti.The LAPD said they had nothing to share, including the police report itself. The only evidence the police department had logged was a photo of the graffiti on the gate provided by the individual(s) at James's Los Angeles residence. There was NO surveillance video entered into evidence in this case. Those of sound mind are able to come to the right conclusions.

As for McDavid, what he is doing is historical. He's clearly the best player on the planet, Panthers fan that I am or not. No reasonable individual can deny that. That being said, my dislike for him stems from him not being content to just being a warrior on the ice (as did Stamkos) a la Colin Kaepernick. For the longest time sports was a respite from all of that, and it sure would nice to see it get back to being exclusively that.

Roksta

Jul 27, 2011
Envy,

Also because 4-5 Oilers fans ruins it for everyone else by endlessly downplaying other greats achievement. But they are just insecure weirdos

Just look at this thread, there's one downplaying Kucherov even if he has two back to back 30+ points playoffs and back to back cups

Reactions: sanscosm

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
As it concerns LeFraud James, I could care less about his career because I could care less about basketball. What I dislike him for, among other non sports-related reasons, was him back in 2017 filing a fraudulent police report and never being held to account about his estate allegedly being sprayed with graffiti and making certain highly-publicized claims about the nature of that graffiti.The LAPD said they had nothing to share, including the police report itself. The only evidence the police department had logged was a photo of the graffiti on the gate provided by the individual(s) at James's Los Angeles residence. There was NO surveillance video entered into evidence in this case. Those of sound mind are able to come to the right conclusions.

As for McDavid, what he is doing is historical. He's clearly the best player on the planet, Panthers fan that I am or not. No reasonable individual can deny that. That being said, my dislike for him stems from him not being content to just being a warrior on the ice (as did Stamkos) a la Colin Kaepernick. For the longest time sports was a respite from all of that, and it sure would nice to see it get back to being exclusively that.
but why would Lebron make all that up?

Reactions: blundluntman

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

You sound upset that you never got caught...

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Yes but you can hate the oilers and love McDavid , I don't like the oilers because they tanked for a decade to get him in the first place , dosent mean I gotta disrespect the greatest player since Lemieux just because he plays for a garbage franchise
Good point. But the diving doesn't help

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Reading through the different playoff threads, I've never seen so much hatred for a top player in the league in my life. I don't get it. For the longest time it's been said the league doesn't promote its stars enough, they finally do and people hate on it.

My question is why?
They’re all mad he’s better than their favourite player and breaking some of Gretzkys records- therefore being compared to a modern day Gretzky.

They’ll also be the first ones to say how good of a player he was when he retires in 10-15.

Just like when everyone hated Crosby when he was winning and now that he’s older people have a soft spot for him.

Reactions: Macheteops

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
From my perspective:

I don't get the same warm and fuzzy feelings from McDavid as I do from other star players like Crosby, Ovechkin, Kucherov, Hughes, etc.

There's no doubt that McDavid is the best player in the league. I get that the NHL wants to market that, but I think there's a way to do it without undercutting other teams and players.

If you look at the commentary and analysis from the SCF, there's a clear picture being painted - "Edmonton is the best team ever and McDavid is the best player ever and...oh, there's another team here too...ummm...Florida?" When the play-by-play commentators and analysts are falling over themselves to gush about McDavid and the Oilers despite them being down 3-0 at one time, it completely undercuts the performance of Florida and its players. The general sentiment being pushed is - Florida isn't winning...Edmonton is just losing. That's not fair to Barkov, Matthews, Bobrovsky, etc and it gives unearned credit to the Edmonton team that, again was down 3-0 at one time.

When a single-player is hyperbolized and pushed to the extent that he is, it gets tiresome, especially when hockey and a cup run are a team effort.

I don't disagree with this as I see the same thing when the Toronto media talks about the Leafs or the analysts are raving about MacKinnon/Makar the entire time. It gets tiresome but zero reason for me to hate those players

Not sure about the warm and fuzzies regarding Kuch

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
HFBoards =/= regular sports fan. Don't confuse the two, this is a small community on the outdated portion of the internet, message boards are a relic of the 90s.

This board has a stick up its ass about McDavid because the 2015 draft was the most hyped event in this board's history and the Oilers won which shocked some, which left a contingent of bitter and jealous posters here.

That's basically all it is.

The general public seems to like McDavid just fine. He isn't a big personality, but he doesn't pretend to be either and he isn't putting on a phony facade. He's quiet and humble and happens to be one of the most talented players to ever play. He goes out of his way to support charity initiatives and is very generous with kids in need in particular.

He is still involved with the Stetler family even after young Ben passed away for example, he went out of his way to visit Ben's dad during a trip to Philly because Ben's father is sadly also battling cancer. Quite often McDavid goes above and beyond what he's requested to do with these families (ie: they brought Ben into the locker room and basically made him an honorary team member and visited his home multiple times, well beyond the initial ask of one meet and greet). There are numerous stories like this of him going way beyond the normal "sports star visits kid at the hospital" from Edmonton and across Canada.

Last edited:

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
From my perspective:

I don't get the same warm and fuzzy feelings from McDavid as I do from other star players like Crosby, Ovechkin, Kucherov, Hughes, etc.

There's no doubt that McDavid is the best player in the league. I get that the NHL wants to market that, but I think there's a way to do it without undercutting other teams and players.

If you look at the commentary and analysis from the SCF, there's a clear picture being painted - "Edmonton is the best team ever and McDavid is the best player ever and...oh, there's another team here too...ummm...Florida?" When the play-by-play commentators and analysts are falling over themselves to gush about McDavid and the Oilers despite them being down 3-0 at one time, it completely undercuts the performance of Florida and its players. The general sentiment being pushed is - Florida isn't winning...Edmonton is just losing. That's not fair to Barkov, Matthews, Bobrovsky, etc and it gives unearned credit to the Edmonton team that, again was down 3-0 at one time.

When a single-player is hyperbolized and pushed to the extent that he is, it gets tiresome, especially when hockey and a cup run are a team effort.
If you’re watching Sportsnet like I do- it’s a Canadian station. They praise up all the Canadian teams and barely talk about the American ones I find.

McDavid, Bouchard, and Hyman are all breaking records on their own. Gives them lots to talk about. McDavid is 5 pts away from tying Gretzkys record of playoff points with 47. The way he has been playing the last 2 games (8 points) he may tie it next game in Edmonton lol. Guy is amazing.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
with 40-50 teams and presumably still a salary cap, I dont see it. Parity keeps the sport fun and interesting, which makes for shorter "dynasties" or dominating teams.

Even McDavid hasnt come anywhere close to winning 9 consecutive Harts or 10 Art Ross, and he'll probably go down as top 6 player all-time when his career is done.

Someone will surely top McDavid or even Mario given his shorter career, but Gretzky played for so long and dominated like no other ATHLETE over a full decade.
More teams will actually help whoever is the next Gretzky. Gretzky entered the league during a big expansion which allowed a bunch of less talented players into the league. If there's a 40-50 team league and the right generational talent enters at the right time then he might pass Gretzky. It's probably like 1 in a billion but anything can happen.

Meh I think the NHL media machine doesn’t hype McDavid up nearly enough.
I feel like Bedard and Matthews got way more hype last season. If Mcdavid didn't play for a small northern Canadian city you'd probably see his face everywhere.

Vukotal Recall

Jan 30, 2010
Too lazy to read through this thread but the NHL has always been friggin' weird. As it institution it despises and deliberately handcuffs its star players through non-enforcement of rules as well as instituting stupid anti-offense rules. Fans and the media also buy in to the absurd rhetoric of star players "choking" etc. and constantly downplaying accomplishments. Old-school hockey dumbassery. Crosby, McDavid and many other stars are hacked and whacked and hooked -- even in this new modern NHL -- and are portrayed as crybabies if they, y'know, ever make a peep about it.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
From my perspective:

Ovi gives the warm and fuzzy eh? He gives me the cold and whatever the opposite of fuzzy is

Reactions: Dessloch

PULSATING

Sep 20, 2018
We’re allowed to root against players for the sake of our own, it’s called being a fan and makes watching games fun.

I personally soured on the franchise when they took damn near 5 years to not be utter failures with McDavid and Draisaitl, and this was after they had drafted 1st like 4 times in the previous decade. At that point, you root against such obvious incompetence because it doesn’t deserve to be rewarded. If McDavid was on a different team I probably wouldn’t root against him.
So you hate the franchise for being
Mismanaged now that they are no longer mismanaged? Seems kinda silly

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Are they? They’ve got a 9.5 million dollar #4 defenseman and two of their wingers are guys who washed out from their last contracts because of ethical issues. For having McDavid and Draisaitl I’m not super impressed with their franchise.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
They are still mismanaged lmao their GM is one of the worst in the league , McDavid needs to go Lemieux Gretzky for them , absolutely carrying them as usual

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
They are still mismanaged lmao their GM is one of the worst in the league , McDavid needs to go Lemieux Gretzky for them , absolutely carrying them as usual
Yea I don’t hate McDavid, I think he’s insane - he might single handedly win a Stanley cup. I like to root against his team though. The fact he’s 27 and the Oil need him to put up 3 ppg in the finals to win still is kinda sad to me.

PULSATING

Sep 20, 2018
Are they? They’ve got a 9.5 million dollar #4 defenseman and two of their wingers are guys who washed out from their last contracts because of ethical issues. For having McDavid and Draisaitl I’m not super impressed with their franchise.

So you don’t want then to win because they overpaid Nurse? Seems like a silly reason to dislike a team.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
So you don’t want then to win because they overpaid Nurse? Seems like a silly reason to dislike a team.
No i don't want them to win because they are shameless tankers who did it for 10 years straight , only reason they have any type of success is because of a single player , anyways if he does win its gonna be known as his cup not the teams so it's not that big of a deal , guy is gross out there

Reactions: CanadianPirate
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad