McDavid promotion and the hatred from fans?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yes but you can hate the oilers and love McDavid , I don't like the oilers because they tanked for a decade to get him in the first place , dosent mean I gotta disrespect the greatest player since Lemieux just because he plays for a garbage franchise
We never really tanked. We just had stupid General Managers

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Theres literally no reason to hate McD besides jealousy and pettiness. If you hate an all time great like McD, you just hate hockey. But for those that think they have valid reasons to hate on McD, let me clear some shit up:

1. He does NOT dive. To his fault, he fights through more infractions than any player in League history and it’s not even close. He gets tripped? he’ll fight through and retain his balance with his generational skating. He gets slashed? He’ll ignore it and keep on attacking. He gets held? Ditto. He gets punched in the head in a scrum multiple times a game? He’ll take it with a smile and move on with his life.

2. He does NOT whine. Dude has always taken his beats with pure class.

3. He does NOT get favored by Refs. In fact it’s the exact opposite. He gets screwed by Refs on the daily. Drawing much much less calls than his talents and ability warrants.

4. Yes he’s boring and lacking “personality”. But that’s how you become the greatest player in the game. You spend a lifetime on improving your hockey game to be this good, not focusing on your social skills. His pressers are just typical of NHL players, not anymore boring than the cliches you hear from 99% of players in this League. If you listen to his pressers latterly, they are much improved, he is really honest about his assessment of the game and what he sees out there, providing insight into how an all time great sees the game. It’s really fascinating stuff if you love the game of hockey.

5. The Oilers never “tanked” for him. The Oilers naturally sucked and lucked into him at the draft. No reason to hate for this, unless you don’t understand blind luck.

Last edited:

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
I don't really see a lot of McDavid hate tbh. It's usually either banter from rival fans, criticism from fans of players he's threatening to surpass or the usual "he's not the greatest until he wins a cup". I don't agree with a lot of it but none of that is super egregious or abnormal in any sport discourse. I don't think he's disliked as a player more than Crosby was when he entered the league, people back then actually would take jabs at his character and conduct. I don't ever see that with McDavid.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
From my perspective:

I don't get the same warm and fuzzy feelings from McDavid as I do from other star players like Crosby, Ovechkin, Kucherov, Hughes, etc.

There's no doubt that McDavid is the best player in the league. I get that the NHL wants to market that, but I think there's a way to do it without undercutting other teams and players.

If you look at the commentary and analysis from the SCF, there's a clear picture being painted - "Edmonton is the best team ever and McDavid is the best player ever and...oh, there's another team here too...ummm...Florida?" When the play-by-play commentators and analysts are falling over themselves to gush about McDavid and the Oilers despite them being down 3-0 at one time, it completely undercuts the performance of Florida and its players. The general sentiment being pushed is - Florida isn't winning...Edmonton is just losing. That's not fair to Barkov, Matthews, Bobrovsky, etc and it gives unearned credit to the Edmonton team that, again was down 3-0 at one time.

When a single-player is hyperbolized and pushed to the extent that he is, it gets tiresome, especially when hockey and a cup run are a team effort.

I'd argue I saw a lot more hate for Crosby on this forum.

Also, he is pushed ONLY to hockey fans. No one else in the world knows who he is. I think they actually need to promote him more.

Reactions: joestevens29

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
It's really just salty Canucks, Flames and Kings fans that "hate" him. I'm pretty sure that will change next year at four nations and the Olympics for the two formers.

People love to hate man, some people hate LeBron, hate Crosby, hate Messi. They derive more enjoyment from that then really just witnessing greatness in the sport they claim to be fans of. It's classic "I hate that girl because she's prettier than me" energy.

To me, we are all fans of this beautiful game and to not recognize transcendent talent because you are a bitter jealous fan is just robbing yourself of the true essence of what makes us love sport, but what do I know.

Can't get myself to like him since April 18 2015 and the start of the insufferable era.

HF killed any hope of liking the player for me.
Like anything, turn off the internet and your life would be much better

mynameisvincent

May 15, 2022
has Dubois become some sort of nhl villain or what? I havn’t watched much of the king’s games so that is probably why I may be naive in thinking that he can still bounce back. I think it could ve a good fit, I mean they revived strome´s career didn’t they.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Reading through the different playoff threads, I've never seen so much hatred for a top player in the league in my life. I don't get it. For the longest time it's been said the league doesn't promote its stars enough, they finally do and people hate on it.

My question is why?
Not hatred , pure sports envy. There is a difference and you likely know it.

Orr was bashed for awhile "puck hog" .....

Gretz was public enemy number one " wimp who they were not allowed to hit"

Mario was "big lazy floating cherry picker"

Hasek was "a quitter who faked injuries"

Sid the kid was "the biggest whiner"

OV was a "goal suck that couldnt deliver in play offs"

They are all respected, well liked and admired now.

Its pure envy of the greatest players and its nothing new, puzzling, or permanent

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Theres literally no reason to hate McD besides jealousy and pettiness. If you hate an all time great like McD, you just hate hockey. But for those that think they have valid reasons to hate on McD, let me clear some shit up:

1. He does NOT dive. To his fault, he fights through more infractions than any player in League history and it’s not even close. He gets tripped? he’ll fight through and retain his balance with his generational skating. He gets slashed? He’ll ignore it and keep on attacking. He gets held? Ditto. He gets punched in the head in a scrum multiple times a game? He’ll take it with a smile and move on with his life.

2. He does NOT whine. Dude has always taken his beats with pure class.

3. He does NOT get favored by Refs. In fact it’s the exact opposite. He gets screwed by Refs on the daily. Drawing much much less calls than his talents and ability warrants.

4. Yes he’s boring and lacking “personality”. But that’s how you become the greatest player in the game. You spend a lifetime on improving your hockey game to be this good, not focusing on your social skills. His pressers are just typical of NHL players, not anymore boring than the cliches you hear from 99% of players in this League. If you listen to his pressers latterly, they are much improved, he is really honest about his assessment of the game and what he sees out there, providing insight into how an all time great sees the game. It’s really fascinating stuff if you love the game of hockey.

5. The Oilers never “tanked” for him. The Oilers naturally sucked and lucked into him at the draft. No reason to hate for this, unless you don’t understand blind luck.
For years tons of fans bashed and ripped Gretzky.
Now? You wont find one single person who will admit they bashed him for years.
Same will go for Connor McDavid. He will have 2 or 3 Cups, Gold medal, icon,........ and no one bashing him today will admit to it when Connor ready to hang them up.

and every single Canadian will love him when the Olympics come up.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
For years tons of fans bashed and ripped Gretzky.
Now? You wont find one single person who will admit they bashed him for years.
Same will go for Connor McDavid. He will have 2 or 3 Cups, Gold medal, icon, and nobody Bashing him today will admit to it when hes ready to hang them up.

and every single Canadian will love him when the Olympics come up.
For sure. And it was a point I thought to make too in my post. Many that hated Wayne and Mario were on the wrong side of history back then. Same with McD haters today.

Reactions: PaulD

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024
I’ll say this: I recognize McD is by far the best player in the world and he’s elevated a bunch of fairly decent players into a cup finalist (and potentially beyond). I just can’t stand that he’s doing it for Edmonton.

Edmonton is one of the most bumbling franchises from a management standpoint I’ve seen in the last 15 years, and it bothers me that they fell ass over teakettle into McDrai and now the fans get to be as cocky as they are. It reaffirms for me that sports are less about strategy and more about dumb luck.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
For sure. And it was a point I thought to make too in my post. Many that hated Wayne and Mario were on the wrong side of history back then. Same with McD haters today.
His skills speak for them selves. From what I can see on a personal level he appears to be a great team mate, humble leader, tough as nails, and an all around great guy.
Oiler fans are in a great era and McDavids prime play off winning ways are just getting started.
Last nights game? Legendary.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
His skills speak for them selves. From what I can see on a personal level he appears to be a great team mate, humble leader, tough as nails, and an all around great guy.
Oiler fans are in a great era and McDavids prime play off winning ways are just getting started.
Last nights game? Legendary.
He’s literally everything the Oilers could have asked for and more. He gets criticized for so many things like his leadership, character, toughness, that has no basis in reality. At the risk of sounding hyperbolic, he’s literally the perfect hockey player in all respects.

IF there was valid reasons to shit on him, trust me, Oilers fans would have done so as we do with many of our players. But there’s nothing to criticize here.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
McDavid doesn't even get a fraction of what Crosby used to get, and still does get. lol
Imagine if McDavid actually had a personality instead of the expressionless robot he has been trained to be just so he doesn't say anything inappropriate. The hate would be much harsher... it's natural when you have envious fanbases.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I’ll say this: I recognize McD is by far the best player in the world and he’s elevated a bunch of fairly decent players into a cup finalist (and potentially beyond). I just can’t stand that he’s doing it for Edmonton.

Edmonton is one of the most bumbling franchises from a management standpoint I’ve seen in the last 15 years, and it bothers me that they fell ass over teakettle into McDrai and now the fans get to be as cocky as they are. It reaffirms for me that sports are less about strategy and more about dumb luck.
I’m curious what separates the oilers from any other team that acquired their top players from high picks? Crosby, Malkin, Toews, Kane, Stamkos, Hedman, Ovy, Backstrom, McKinnon, Makar.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
It might be that the people who wanted to sing his praises did so and then moved on, but that the haters just can't shut up about it after the first time.

Personally, I find it hard to hate a robot. Crosby managed it with his ball punching software, but McDavid wasn't programmed with that. See? I'm a Crosby hater and I haven't shut up about it. But McDavid? I said a nice thing earlier today, and moved on.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Reading through the different playoff threads, I've never seen so much hatred for a top player in the league in my life. I don't get it. For the longest time it's been said the league doesn't promote its stars enough, they finally do and people hate on it.

My question is why?
If you pay attention, you’ll notice the hate is probably a solid 85-90% coming from two fan bases only.

Calgary: makes sense, heated rival that you don’t want to admit have one of the greatest players to ever exist

Toronto: I’m not even sure why? Maybe the delusions some have that Matthews is anywhere close to that level of player?

Reactions: dukeofjive

Bond

May 10, 2012
I’m curious what separates the oilers from any other team that acquired their top players from high picks? Crosby, Malkin, Toews, Kane, Stamkos, Hedman, Ovy, Backstrom, McKinnon, Makar.
The other 1st overalls and the implementation of a lottery because of the Oilers lol

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024
Mainly Canadian fans lol. But seriously with all due respect to all of these amazing players, I think McDavid is better. People use that stupid “call me when he’s won cups” argument, but I think he’s the best player I’ve seen since Mario Lemieux. And the Oilers were already blessed with Gretzky in my lifetime.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
From my perspective:

I don't get the same warm and fuzzy feelings from McDavid as I do from other star players like Crosby, Ovechkin, Kucherov, Hughes, etc.

There's no doubt that McDavid is the best player in the league. I get that the NHL wants to market that, but I think there's a way to do it without undercutting other teams and players.

If you look at the commentary and analysis from the SCF, there's a clear picture being painted - "Edmonton is the best team ever and McDavid is the best player ever and...oh, there's another team here too...ummm...Florida?" When the play-by-play commentators and analysts are falling over themselves to gush about McDavid and the Oilers despite them being down 3-0 at one time, it completely undercuts the performance of Florida and its players. The general sentiment being pushed is - Florida isn't winning...Edmonton is just losing. That's not fair to Barkov, Matthews, Bobrovsky, etc and it gives unearned credit to the Edmonton team that, again was down 3-0 at one time.

When a single-player is hyperbolized and pushed to the extent that he is, it gets tiresome, especially when hockey and a cup run are a team effort.
Sounds like your hearing what you want to hear.

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

3mrcjm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad