McDavid promotion and the hatred from fans?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Good.

giphy.gif

Reactions: ZJuice

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Personally, I want to like McDavid, he's such an amazing player. In watching his interviews, and even how he conducts himself on the ice to the refs, I don't know, he just seems like a bit of a whinner to me.

Despite that, I still like seeing him do well, break records, and re-write hockey history. Things like that are just good for the sport. But it's hard to want to see him win it all, it's hard to break that stigma for me. But, even now, as much as I don't really want him to win, there's a part of me that does, so I don't know, I'm torn.. Haha..

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
From my perspective:

I don't get the same warm and fuzzy feelings from McDavid as I do from other star players like Crosby, Ovechkin, Kucherov, Hughes, etc.

There's no doubt that McDavid is the best player in the league. I get that the NHL wants to market that, but I think there's a way to do it without undercutting other teams and players.

If you look at the commentary and analysis from the SCF, there's a clear picture being painted - "Edmonton is the best team ever and McDavid is the best player ever and...oh, there's another team here too...ummm...Florida?" When the play-by-play commentators and analysts are falling over themselves to gush about McDavid and the Oilers despite them being down 3-0 at one time, it completely undercuts the performance of Florida and its players. The general sentiment being pushed is - Florida isn't winning...Edmonton is just losing. That's not fair to Barkov, Matthews, Bobrovsky, etc and it gives unearned credit to the Edmonton team that, again was down 3-0 at one time.

When a single-player is hyperbolized and pushed to the extent that he is, it gets tiresome, especially when hockey and a cup run are a team effort.
Hmm, I wonder what McDavid did to deserve the accolades. Oh right, 42 points in the playoffs which is top 5 all time up there with two guys that you might have heard of Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemeiux. Oh and 8 points in 2 games in the 2 elimination games but sure, lets talk more about Barkov, Matthews and Bobrovsky lol. Hilarious that this is coming from a Pens fan of all people whose franchise player has been fellated by the media (and for good reason) for almost two decades. I figured Pens fans of anybody would understand this, guess not.
McDavid is a generational player who is putting up a historic playoff performance so, yes, it will get talked about a lot. What exactly is the problem here?

And who is saying "Edmonton best ever"? All we've been hearing is about how unbeatable Florida is and how much better and deeper Dallas was etc. The Oilers have been getting underestimated in the last 2 rounds in particular if anything.

Last edited:

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Hate is a strong word but i dont care about him at all his personality is so bland, attitude sucks from way back when he was in junior i had to deal with him at memorial cup in quebec city he was a prick

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
Crosby got A LOT of hate back in the day. I remember being a Datsyuk fan myself. 🤣

McDavid is the best player in the world, but his charisma is non-existent. Some people make awkwardness work by being goofy and likeable... Think Phil Kessel... Who doesn't wish the best for our hotdog-eating everyman?

I don't hate him at all. I stayed up for his first 100 point season and--as I mentioned in another thread--was ecstatic when the Oilers got Pulju. It's just he's just... A little boring. 🙈

Reactions: Macheteops

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
More teams will actually help whoever is the next Gretzky. Gretzky entered the league during a big expansion which allowed a bunch of less talented players into the league. If there's a 40-50 team league and the right generational talent enters at the right time then he might pass Gretzky. It's probably like 1 in a billion but anything can happen.
true, expansion would increase scoring (until the D adjusts as it mid from the mid 90s to 2016 or so), but that would just help everyones point totals. The increase in competition would still make it more difficult for a single player to win multiple/consecutive Harts and Art Rosses.

Its "easier" to dominate a whole league year after year when theres only 6 or 21 teams compared to 30 or 40, on top of the salary cap preventing longterm dynasties.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Crosby got A LOT of hate back in the day. I remember being a Datsyuk fan myself. 🤣

McDavid is the best player in the world, but his charisma is non-existent. Some people make awkwardness work by being goofy and likeable... Think Phil Kessel... Who doesn't wish the best for our hotdog-eating everyman?

I don't hate him at all. I stayed up for his first 100 point season and--as I mentioned in another thread--was ecstatic when the Oilers got Pulju. It's just he's just... A little boring. 🙈
I mean Gretzky, Mario, Crosby, Sakic, Yzerman, Bourque, Lidstrom, Forsberg, Malkin, Selanne, Toews.... I can go on. Did any of them have "charisma"?

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Burnaby Schmo

Jan 23, 2021
McDavid just isn't a very charismatic person during interviews. On the ice, he is electric, and no one is as exciting to watch. If people are dogging on his skill, they're just being petty, however, he just doesn't have the swagger of a lot of other stars, and I'd go as far as to say even Gretzky is a more engaging speaker.

Burnaby Schmo

Jan 23, 2021
I mean Gretzky, Mario, Crosby, Sakic, Yzerman, Bourque, Lidstrom, Forsberg, Malkin, Selanne, Toews.... I can go on. Did any of them have "charisma"?
I would say Yzerman, Lemieux, Crosby, Bourque, and especially Selanne, were more charming in interviews than McDavid. I'd say Forsberg, Sakic, and Gretzky are still even a bit more likable, in an interview setting. I'd have McDavid above maybe Malkin or Toews, and frankly Toews neither had nor deserves the attention McDavid has, and Malkins's awkwardness can really be attributed to language issues at least partly.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
It's not even close lol he doesn't even get the same hate Ovechkin did.
I'd disagree with both honestly, if only due to social media being way more of a thing than it was for a lot of Crosby and Ovechkin's careers. There are plenty of dudes on Twitter or YT with cryface McDavid avatars who have built their entire identities around shit talking him and posting clips every time he gets hit, etc.

There's also been an influx of weirdos ever since he advocated for Pride stuff.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Lindros-Crosby-Ovechkin-Jagr-Lemieux pre 2002-2004 when he was there for team Canada, I would imagine Gretzky when he left for Los Angeles.

Who else than the best players can get enough attention to get the most hate ?

All-around beloved while being the clear best player in the league, could be rarer than quite a bit hated on, maybe Forsberg outside the rivals ? Got a lot of critics to miss so many game and a lot of never scored 30 goals, most overrated because he was so spectacular talk, but still overall...

Lidstrom was not hated but did not bring much passion into being beloved either (hate almost always come in reaction to the public praise).

Hasek maybe.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I don't like the Oilers at all, but I'm cool with seeing McDavid set records.

It's kind of boring dealing with these older posters yawning on and on about how Gretzky actually saw into the future, etc.

I like reality and facts, so McDavid is nice.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
I would say Yzerman, Lemieux, Crosby, Bourque, and especially Selanne, were more charming in interviews than McDavid. I'd say Forsberg, Sakic, and Gretzky are still even a bit more likable, in an interview setting. I'd have McDavid above maybe Malkin or Toews, and frankly Toews neither had nor deserves the attention McDavid has, and Malkins's awkwardness can really be attributed to language issues at least partly.
Malkin is hilarious, and smart. He's just having a laugh 95% of the time.

Reactions: sanscosm

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton

McDavid was funny once

Reactions: Voight

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
Idk he rubs me the wrong way.

He seems like that self-absorbed only child rich kid that people only wanted to be friends with because he had cool shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad