McDavid and Matthews have to wait to overtake Crosby

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Leafs fans must love how people write Matthews next to McDavid all the time it's literally only leaf fans who think Matthews should be in this group.

Can absolutely NOT wait for Eichel to outscore Matthews next year when he's healthy, closer to his prime under a new coach.

Eichel is a better player and Matthews I could see having a sophomore slump. He had two separate big slumps in his season this year, if he didn't he might of beat an injured Eichel in points per game but he couldn't.

shakermaker

Nov 16, 2006
Mississauga
Leafs fans must love how people write Matthews next to McDavid all the time it's literally only leaf fans who think Matthews should be in this group.

Can absolutely NOT wait for Eichel to outscore Matthews next year when he's healthy, closer to his prime under a new coach.

Eichel is a better player and Matthews I could see having a sophomore slump. He had two separate big slumps in his season this year, if he didn't he might of beat an injured Eichel in points per game but he couldn't.

Why don't you compare AM first year to Eichel's first year?

Also you might be waiting quite a while... as in longer than next year.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
It's obviously a little skewed because he has a handful of points in every other situation (PP, SH, 4v4, etc), but it's kind of bizarre that none of McDavid's points in the playoffs yet have come at 5v5.

BiasedDuck16

Dec 25, 2011
Canada
Better game for him tonight I thought. Still solely responsible for two goals tho. Where was he on the Kessler goal??? You are thought to tie up in peewee.

Leafs24Seven*

Jun 2, 2011
1000 Islands Usa/Can
Is this a dream you had?

Must be, because it is not true at all, there are countless players and coaches of other teams who priase the kid as one of the best already, just watch post game interviews after they play the Leafs and his name is brought up all the time.

Sabres fans are lovable, I still remember the day Pegula bought the team and heard non stop how a cup was coming to Buffalo within the next 1-3 years.

Fun to dream, isn't it?

Last edited:

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
You're ironically correct.

Crosby is the #1 best player of all time, because the current best player will always be the best player of all time due to natural genetic, technological and nutritional advancements over time.

If you want to say "best for his time" that's a different story, and an honestly irrelevant thing to debate because time periods have had such drastically different relative parity in the league.

The only one worth discussing is the best player ever, which is Sidney Crosby right now. Soon it will be McDavid, soon it will be another kid who grew up with more tools available and is simply better than anyone before him.

It's natural progression, there is no need to be stuck in the past.

I understand the point you're making but why are we comparing hardware then? A Jagr in his mid 30's outscored Crosby's rookie season. Hell, he was 35 or 36 and he only had 24 less points than Crosby's best year ever. Can we really not compare generational players? Of course these great players in the past are obsolete eventually but I would challenge you to say Lidstrom or Hasek wouldn't be making a strong case today about being the best player in the league.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Matthews has more than one trick, he doesn't have to play defenseman type minutes to make a difference, he also has a great shot and can already play the boards. Crosby is the best player now but he's ageing, There isn't a player in the league I would trade for Matthews right now.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's obviously a little skewed because he has a handful of points in every other situation (PP, SH, 4v4, etc), but it's kind of bizarre that none of McDavid's points in the playoffs yet have come at 5v5.

It's not though. I like McDavid, but man everything he does is so over blown at this point, it's hard to like the guy because of the Oilers fans. Also, that goal on Gibson, it was a nice goal, but so many brain farts by Ducks players there.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
The OP hit the mother of all trigger points:

McDavid vs. Matthews
Crosby vs. McDavid
Crosby's all-time ranking
Beer drinking and smoking ole timeys vs. current players
McDavid's first playoffs

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
Sid is better rounded, but McDavid's offensive ability is better than Sid's ever was. He just plays in lower-scoring circumstances, and hasn't had one of those huge shooting-percentage years that make his numbers look bonkers. Still a good case to take Sid over Connor, he does more on the ice, carries the puck better, sees the ice better, cycles better, harder to knock down. He's like a few athletes across sports, Alex Rodriguez, LeBron James, Tom Brady, and in his day, Wayne Gretzky. He's not so much *spectacular* to watch or anything, and no individual thing he does looks like something other guys couldn't do, he's just technically an absolutely perfect player. He wasn't when he came up, and since Connor has the same kind of rare natural talent, he's got the potential to develop into that. Not there yet, though. Nobody is that young.

Matthews may end up better-rounded than McDavid, but crazy as it sounds to say about a 40 goal teenager, he just is never going to have nearly the natural offensive skill. Matthews is great, I love him, but he's never gonna be Connor. We Leaf fans will just have to settle for having the second best player on Earth in their primes, I guess. That's fine. In a hundred years, the Leafs' best players have probably topped out at being 5th-10th. Not everyone can have Howe/Orr/Gretzky/Lemieux/Sid.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I don't know why anyone is taking occasion to make shots at Matthews. The kid is nothing but class and a ****ing awesome talent. At least give him a couple more years before making any sort of long term indictment.

Geki

Jul 2, 2003
Visit site
It's not though. I like McDavid, but man everything he does is so over blown at this point, it's hard to like the guy because of the Oilers fans. Also, that goal on Gibson, it was a nice goal, but so many brain farts by Ducks players there.

Holy crap... you think McDavid is overblown?? We were getting reports on what Crosby was eating for breakfast on game day when he was a year in... I guess now you know what it's like. Except, imagine it 10x worse in Crosby's case.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Crosby in the playoffs: 4 goals and 11 points in 7 games, 3 goals and 9 points at ES
McDavid in the playoffs: 3 goals and 6 points in 9 games, 0 goals and 2 points at ES

Sure.

McDavid just isn't able to handle matchups like Crosby because he's not yet a "puck possession" player. While he's as dominant a player as there is off the rush, once the play settles into a cycle type offense, he's not nearly as effective. That's not to say he's bad off the cycle, but it's just not a strength of his, whereas Crosby is literally the best player in the league off the cycle and scoring dirty​ goals, and is no slouch himself off the rush.

If 5 or so seconds have passed since entering the zone, McDavid's most dangerous assets have essentially been neutralized, and opposing teams have locked onto that.

The guy is faster and more skilled with the puck than Crosby ever was, but until he learns to protect the puck and create off the cycle like Sid, he'll never surpass him.

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
Yeah I mean 19 YO Sid had 120 points. Both are spectacular players though and Mcdavid could get better and if he does he might end up even better than Sid is/was.

Crosby had 50% of his points in the powerplay. McDavid had less than 30%. Also, the league wide SV% was 11 points lower than this year.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
I feel like if you took the best qualities from both McDavid and Matthews and combined them together, you'd get Crosby.

Not sure what that has to do with the thread but eh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad