McDavid and Matthews have to wait to overtake Crosby

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Crosby had 50% of his points in the powerplay. McDavid had less than 30%. Also, the league wide SV% was 11 points lower than this year.

Crosby had 59 EVP playing 14:40 ES minutes per game. Roughly a point every 19:35 minutes.
61 PPP playing 5:50 PP minutes per game. Roughly a point every 7:35 minutes.
Prorated to 73 ESP and 33 PPP over 82 games with McDavid's ice time distribution for a 106 points total compared to McDavid's 100.

McDavid had 71 EVP playing 17:17 ES minutes per game. Roughly a point every 20 minutes.
27 PPP playing 3:02 PP minutes per game. Roughly a point every 9:15 minutes on the PP.
Prorated to 58 ESP and 50 PPP over 79 games with Crosby's ice time distribution for a 108 points total compared to Crosby's 120.

That doesn't take into account the change in SV%, though.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Sid is better rounded, but McDavid's offensive ability is better than Sid's ever was. He just plays in lower-scoring circumstances, and hasn't had one of those huge shooting-percentage years that make his numbers look bonkers. Still a good case to take Sid over Connor, he does more on the ice, carries the puck better, sees the ice better, cycles better, harder to knock down. He's like a few athletes across sports, Alex Rodriguez, LeBron James, Tom Brady, and in his day, Wayne Gretzky. He's not so much *spectacular* to watch or anything, and no individual thing he does looks like something other guys couldn't do, he's just technically an absolutely perfect player. He wasn't when he came up, and since Connor has the same kind of rare natural talent, he's got the potential to develop into that. Not there yet, though. Nobody is that young.

I think until his production actually is better than Crosby's, the jury should be still out on this type of claim. Unless you mean pure physical tools then you may have a point as OV and Malkin also could be argued as having more tools than Crosby but Crosby's vision and IQ set him apart from them.

Their sophomore seasons were very close all things considered. We'll see how things develop.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I think until his production actually is better than Crosby's, the jury should be still out on this type of claim. Unless you mean pure physical tools then you may have a point as OV and Malkin also could be argued as having more tools than Crosby but Crosby's vision and IQ set him apart from them.

Their sophomore seasons were very close all things considered. We'll see how things develop.

Physical tools? McDavid's a better skater... It pretty much stops there. And Crosby is an amazing skater in his own right.

He can dominate the puck like, frankly, no one else can in this league at the moment. It's what a guy like Jagr used to do, but he would do it with a 6'3" frame. Crosby is the toughest guy to knock off the puck in the corners and he's 5'11". He does so many little things right.

Faax

Mar 12, 2013
McDavid and Matthews will also never have the benefit of getting so much go their way as Crosby always has, but that's life

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
What do you call Draisaitl and Nylander?

Matthews is a rookie. Tell me more about Hyman on the 1st line 10 years from now.

Babcock will have a Hyman type grinder on Matthews wing every year. Crosby also has had at least one skilled winger the majority of his career (Hossa, younger Kunitz, Hornqvitz, even occasionally plays some shifts with Malkin)

Faax

Mar 12, 2013
Like missing a season and a half with a broken neck, or...?

Injuries happen to everyone

McDavid and Matthews will never have the easy road Crosby has always had that comes with having the full weight of the league behind you and determined that you succeed no matter what.

They, and their team, will have to earn everything for themselves rather than relying on the NHL to help them out but again, that's life.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Babcock will have a Hyman type grinder on Matthews wing every year. Crosby also has had at least one skilled winger the majority of his career (Hossa, younger Kunitz, Hornqvitz, even occasionally plays some shifts with Malkin)

Played with Hossa for what, 20 games? Kunitz never was a skill player, neither is Hornqvist, and occasionally playing with Malkin is really pushing it. They play a shift here and there together once every 5 games at ES...

Funny you wouldn't mention Sheary and Guentzel. That's probably the best set of wingers he has had in years. Assuming Sheary gets his head out of his ass anytime soon and makes his way back on the 1st line.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012

McDavid and Matthews will never have the easy road Crosby has always had that comes with having the full weight of the league behind you and determined that you succeed no matter what.

They, and their team, will have to earn everything for themselves rather than relying on the NHL to help them out but again, that's life.

What exactly are you implying?

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Crosby right now's not as good as Beliveau was. That said I don't think Mcdavid or Matthews will ever be as good as Crosby.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
Played with Hossa for what, 20 games? Kunitz never was a skill player, neither is Hornqvist, and occasionally playing with Malkin is really pushing it. They play a shift here and there together once every 5 games at ES...

Funny you wouldn't mention Sheary and Guentzel. That's probably the best set of wingers he has had in years. Assuming Sheary gets his head out of his ass anytime soon and makes his way back on the 1st line.

Well you could be right, I mean McDavid did have more even strength points this year than Crosby did in every season of his career except 2009-2010. Maybe Crosby would have been better if he had gotten to play with Draisaitl and Maroon.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Crosby right now's not as good as Beliveau was. That said I don't think Mcdavid or Matthews will ever be as good as Crosby.

I think McDavid has the chance to be as good as Crosby. He is an elite level talent that makes everyone on the ice better.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

Crosby already surpassed Béliveau, and the gap will only grow larger.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

That's a hell of a crystal ball you have there.

I thought McDavid fans were throwing out some ridiculous claims. Crosby will go down as the generational talent that had the least amount of talent on his line. It is his claim to fame that like the other greats, he has produced regardless of linemates, and in the past four to five seasons, regardless to the role he asked to play for the team.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
That's a hell of a crystal ball you have there.

I thought McDavid fans were throwing out some ridiculous claims. Crosby will go down as the generational talent that had the least amount of talent on his line. It is his claim to fame that like the other greats, he has produced regardless of linemates, and in the past four to five seasons, regardless to the role he asked to play for the team.

I don't need a crystal ball when Babcock has flat out said he prefers having a grinder, passer, and shooter on every line.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Crosby already surpassed Béliveau, and the gap will only grow larger.

Their primes/peak performances are quite similar and, IMO, it is only longevity at this point that may keep Belliveau ahead. Crosby is without a doubt on the 2nd tier with Hull, Richard, Belliveau and Jagr.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
McDavid plays the game at a faster speed then anyone else. His puck handling and skating is at a tier higher then the entire league.

Crosby thinks the game faster then any other player in the league, and sees the game slower.

For me without a doubt Crosby is the better player. Doesnt mean McDavid wont/cant surpass him.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh

Oh ok, I see where this is going. Good talk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad