GDT: McCarron vs Guelph on Sportsnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
Lucic's first full season in the WHL he had 19 points in 60 games.

Plus McCaron is an American coming into the OHL. Historically there is a significant adjustment period for these young guys.

How old was Lucic when he had his first season?

Second point is not true. Plenty of examples.

That

Aug 25, 2012
Toronto
There is still tons of time for him to turn this season season around, but it's borderline embarrassing to watch him play as a Habs fan. Consistently looks behind the play, and unfortunately there's no one to blame but himself for it. He's lethargic at the best of times and peels off hits constantly. He's so soft for a massive guy, but whenever he tries to impose his will, he gets a penalty. He doesn't try nearly hard enough and he has absolutely zero intensity in his game. At this point, it's been a nightmare season for him.

The good news is he's shown flashes (albeit limited) of what he can be. Sometimes he shows a burst of speed and drives hard to the net, or he makes a nice pass that you didn't think he'd be able to do. Occasionally, he'll unleash his incredibly powerful shot. Despite being listed at 6'6" 238 lbs, he looks physically outmatched at times. He is going to be massive once he fills out.

Yes, there were reports very early in the OHL season that he had a nasty shoulder injury, how come he's still playing through that when clearly things aren't going very well for him ?

Because maybe it's healed? He did only miss one game because of it and that was just over four months ago.

He was expected to fill a top 6 role. He's been so bad, London was forced to trade for a player to fill the role. McCarron is currently an 18 year old 4th liner in the OHL who gets benched frequently.

^Every one of these statements is fact.

Nitpicking, but he's a third liner. He's been attached to Brett Welychka at the hip all season, who has been their third line centre for the vast majority of the year.

Also, I'm sure the Knights would've acquired another top six forward whether or not McCarron stepped up, considering their situation and all. McCarron's performance probably had very little effect on the trade situation.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
In hiss first OHL season, Tinordi was a -8 and had 14 points and 140 PIMs in 63 games. He was the 10th best D in +\-, only Scott Harrington was worse.

McCarron has 17 points, 65 PIMs and is +1 in 38 games. Several forwards are doing less well.

So, given these coarse stafistics, their progression is comparable.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
Can somebody give me the winning lottery numbers for tonight? Thanks guys!

If this is in reference to people predicting McCarron's future, then I would like to point out that this is called "Hockey's Future Boards" where the whole point of this forum is to talk about the future of hockey, and it's players.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
In hiss first OHL season, Tinordi was a -8 and had 14 points and 140 PIMs in 63 games. He was the 10th best D in +\-, only Scott Harrington was worse.

McCarron has 17 points, 65 PIMs and is +1 in 38 games. Several forwards are doing less well.

So, given these coarse stafistics, their progression is comparable.

One is a d-man on a re-building team, one is a forward on a very good team. Not only that but London plays Mitch Marner on their top line. A 16 year old rookie, about 5'10 165. They traded for another top 6 guy. I just don't buy that there was no room for McCarron to impose himself on the top 2 lines in London. Besides, the kid played over 60 games last year and played a good bunch of games against NCAA teams. That's even better than playing OHL teams.

On Tinordi, seriously I just don't get the comparisons. Kid was a defensive d-man on a re-building team. Not to mention +/- is a pretty terrible way to evaluate his play.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I know that +\- is mediocre, but I am not going to pretend that I watch all the games.

My point is that everything people are saying about McCarron now they were saying about Tinordi two years ago, and that turned out ok. They are similar cases, oversized Americans adapting to the OHL.

Why does it help Tinordi's case that he was possibly the second worst dman on a bad team?

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I know that +\- is mediocre, but I am not going to pretend that I watch all the games.

My point is that everything people are saying about McCarron now they were saying about Tinordi two years ago, and that turned out ok. They are similar cases, oversized Americans adapting to the OHL.

Why does it help Tinordi's case that he was possibly the second worst dman on a bad team?

The other "worse" d-man would be Scott Harrington. One of the safest d-man who's come in the OHL recently. It doesn't mean anything really. Even good defensive d-men will struggle on poor teams.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

My biggest problem with the reports on McCarron is that too many have come out saying the he looks disinterested most of the time. I don't think I ever heard someone say that about Tinordi in his London days.

And for the record, not as many people were complaining about Tinordi as they are now for McCarron. But seeing as how many people just watch stat columns to judge prospects, it's easier to let poor play slide for a DFD than a forward.

Serious HABit

Jul 16, 2009
Forum Ghosts
I've seen you call him Tinordinary, Turdnordi- I think you should maybe just stop evaluating his talent altogether because you clearly don't have a high opinion of him. We get it.

Tinordi as a 7th? lol @ that bro.

post-26056-Antonio-Banderas-reaction-gif-RNWc.gif

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
My biggest problem with the reports on McCarron is that too many have come out saying the he looks disinterested most of the time. I don't think I ever heard someone say that about Tinordi in his London days.

And for the record, not as many people were complaining about Tinordi as they are now for McCarron. But seeing as how many people just watch stat columns to judge prospects, it's easier to let poor play slide for a DFD than a forward.

I remember a lot of people were saying Tinordi was turning into a bust, but I was on a different forum then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad