GDT: McCarron vs Guelph on Sportsnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I don't follow the minors at all but I remember a debate that took place where some folks said he should go play in the OHL and others argued that another league (can't remember which one) would have been better for him. Was that a College league? Is the consensus that he should've gone there instead?

NCAA is higher calibre than OHL, older players. He wouldn't have had more ice time there. He'd be better off on a weaker team though, London is stacked up front.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Fischer might "still" be able to help us....That 2nd rounder we got was traded to the Isles when we got Wiz. Then...when we traded Wiz rights, we acquired a 7th rounder which would become a 5th if Wiz would sign with Columbus, which he did. And that 5th rounder became....Charles Hudon.

So if Hudon can stop being hurt and plays a role for us....we'll have to take a minute to remember the great David Fischer. Who,s having a hell of a season with the Penguins this year.....the Krefeld Penguins that is, in Germany. 14 points in 24 goals, but most importantly 6 GOALS. Which I have no idea how he got those as Fischer was probably the guy from all the development camps I've seen that had the worst arsenal of shots ever, especially the wrister. I saw goalies with better wristers.

That was quick!! What a ''chemin'' to get from Fischer to the 2nd to Wiz to a 7th which became a 5th which became...Hudon!! (amazing memory...could not have remembered all that!).

I'm already thanking Fischer for Hudon...I see good things happening with Hudon...lots of heart (of course just needs to stay healthy)...very happy he's with our organization.

Lol! about goalies having better wristers VS Fischer!! (you probably don't mean Brodeur;)).

I'm very happy for Fischer...there is ''hockey life'' after all for him...kudos.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
How many NHL 1st round draft picks aren't signed in the first calendar year after the draft? Honest question. Without putting in the time to look it up, I would guess very few.

So maybe in the case of McCarron, I would amend my suggestion a little. *IF* going to London wasn't something that he was 100% sold on, and *IF* it's only signing bonus money that was key in persuading him to go that route... then to me, it suggests maybe his heart wasn't really in the OHL. Maybe that plays into his performance this year. Maybe if it becomes a situation that is contingent on $90,000 in your pocket, it's better to just let the guy go to the NCAA and have a longer window on signing him, and kudos to those who were behind the idea of a longer skills development opportunity for him in the NCAA instead...?

Just musing, not really anything serious. It is what it is now, and I'm still expecting him to improve in his OHL career.

Aside, people mention skating, but I'd also like to see more "killer instinct" in him, more aggression. He's "pretty physical", but not really "intimidating" yet. With his size he could be. Players can work on footspeed to some extent, but I worry a little more about personality traits that aren't as likely to change. I don't know how you make him "meaner". :dunno: But maybe he is and his shoulder has held him back, maybe he is and I'm just not seeing it, etc. Again, not a big deal, just a "musing" based on limited observation and no personal interaction whatsoever.

For sure...I was just being a tad sarcastic (also...greedy! wanting everything...drafting that 1st Rnd Pick AND getting as many 2nd Rnd Picks by not signing most of them or waiting longer than a year before signing in case...doesn't work that way, I know! if it were me...I would not want to be drafted by that team that is known for this!! unless it's my Habs of course;)).

Also, I was just having fun...since I didn't really know about the Fischer-no-signing = 2nd Rnd Pick...until not so long ago...and/or it's not something that has happened often to us in the last 10 yrs? still learning great info from a lot of you, thanks. I thought you could only get a replacement 1st rnd pick or 2nd rnd pick as compensation if an accident were to happen to your 1st rnd pick.

In the end, I know that most (or close to most) 1st rnd picks are signed, so...not many teams collect these 2nd Rnd picks as compensation.

Cheers

p.s.: NCAA vs OHL for McCarron...another interesting point that I also thought of, but...you brought it up...maybe McCarron could go to the NCAA next season? Bad/good idea? Not possible? not many do this kind of switch?!
I'm all for the best ''chemin/route'' for his development.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
NCAA is higher calibre than OHL, older players. He wouldn't have had more ice time there. He'd be better off on a weaker team though, London is stacked up front.

Needless to say that with the selling that Andy Murray made, he would not have benched him or put him in the stands. No way it would have happened. At worst, he'd be on a 4th line....which is not far from where he is right now. Would not have been expected to fight and only work on his skills, which, in hindsight, would have been the way to go. And it's not like WMU was a powerhouse and McCarron would have been stuck behind a lot of guys there. Only 14 forwards there. With 4 of them being freshmen. So there was room for him.

But we were so focus in him becoming Lucic, that we thought he had to fight right away. I do have to say this, the Mem Cup played a role in all of us wanting him to come. I can't imagine how "great" if would be if he happens to be traded (not likely though, just saying..). And we also prefered the type of calendar that the OHL has and frankly, that's still a great point for the OHL 'cause that's Mac biggest problem...getting used to play tons of games which, in the NCAA, he would not have been doing. So the AHL, after at least 3 years, would have been his first time in so many years with a full calendar...can't imagine how tough that would have also be. And frankly, if the Habs want to groom him themselves and develop him themselves, you can do more things with a prospect in the CHL than with all the rules that comes with a NCAA prospect. So, there's still some great things in being in the CHL. One of them could and will probably be, as soon as fills up the next year....we will gladly say that it was finally THE decision. Just that as of now, it doesn't appear to be as one-sided decision as it once looked like and RIGHT NOW, Andy Murray seems to have been right with how he saw McCarron,s game and what he needed. Murray is no slouch....some will say that DeKeyzer became DeKeyzer because of Murray.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
That was quick!! What a ''chemin'' to get from Fischer to the 2nd to Wiz to a 7th which became a 5th which became...Hudon!! (amazing memory...could not have remembered all that!).

I'm already thanking Fischer for Hudon...I see good things happening with Hudon...lots of heart (of course just needs to stay healthy)...very happy he's with our organization.

Lol! about goalies having better wristers VS Fischer!! (you probably don't mean Brodeur;)).

I'm very happy for Fischer...there is ''hockey life'' after all for him...kudos.

It's not called memory. It's called google....;)

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
I disagree here. He won some in the 2nd but for the most part, quite underwhelming board play.

See now others have actually seen what I have seen all season long and yet no one took stock in it. This has been a year long showing not just this one game.

As for his injury that was very early on in the season it has healed up he is playing at 100%.

Last edited:

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Lucic's first full season in the WHL he had 19 points in 60 games.

Plus McCaron is an American coming into the OHL. Historically there is a significant adjustment period for these young guys.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
For sure...I was just being a tad sarcastic (also...greedy! wanting everything...drafting that 1st Rnd Pick AND getting as many 2nd Rnd Picks by not signing most of them or waiting longer than a year before signing in case...doesn't work that way, I know! if it were me...I would not want to be drafted by that team that is known for this!! unless it's my Habs of course;)).

Also, I was just having fun...since I didn't really know about the Fischer-no-signing = 2nd Rnd Pick...until not so long ago...and/or it's not something that has happened often to us in the last 10 yrs? still learning great info from a lot of you, thanks. I thought you could only get a replacement 1st rnd pick or 2nd rnd pick as compensation if an accident were to happen to your 1st rnd pick.

In the end, I know that most (or close to most) 1st rnd picks are signed, so...not many teams collect these 2nd Rnd picks as compensation.

Cheers

p.s.: NCAA vs OHL for McCarron...another interesting point that I also thought of, but...you brought it up...maybe McCarron could go to the NCAA next season? Bad/good idea? Not possible? not many do this kind of switch?!
I'm all for the best ''chemin/route'' for his development.

I know guys can leave the NCAA to go to the CHL but if memory serves they can't go the other way.

http://collegehockeyinc.com/faq

Major Junior, Amateurism and NCAA Eligibility Q: I was recently drafted by a team from the CHL (which includes the OHL, WHL, and QMJHL) and they want me to sign a contract immediately. Is it okay for me to sign a contract even though I won't play for them this year? A: No. Signing a contract with any professional team (that includes Canadian major junior teams) results in the loss of NCAA eligibility even if you never play a game for that team. - See more at: http://collegehockeyinc.com/faq#sthash.zfL8wNLb.dpuf

Beaker

In My Lab Goggles
Jun 4, 2007
In The Lab.
I still do not see Turdnordi becoming this top pairing D man everyone wants him to be I see him more a 5-7 spot.

Hey, look at that, 5-7 is already an upgrade to what you thought a few years back. Lets hope he can continue proving you wrong ;) You know... seeing how he's 21 years old and all...

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
Hey, look at that, 5-7 is already an upgrade to what you thought a few years back. Lets hope he can continue proving you wrong ;) You know... seeing how he's 21 years old and all...

5-7 is still a bust considering how some on here see him. Many are and were calling for him to eventually become our captain :shakehead.

Beaker

In My Lab Goggles
Jun 4, 2007
In The Lab.
5-7 is still a bust considering how some on here see him. Many are and were calling for him to eventually become our captain :shakehead.

I've seen you call him Tinordinary, Turdnordi- I think you should maybe just stop evaluating his talent altogether because you clearly don't have a high opinion of him. We get it.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Tinordi as a 2nd pairing dman and McCarron as a middle six forward would be good value for picks at 22 and 25.

It is average value if one of them makes it and the other busts.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
I haven't been following him this season, but how has the team been playing him? Is he just a 3rd of 4th line guy playing 12 minutes a game, or has he been considered one of their more important players, getting special teams time and playing with good players?

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I was at the game last night, complete sell out and had to get a general admission ticket and fight for a standing room spot.

Too bad I was far too intoxicated to really even pay attention to the game so I can't make any comments on McCarron but the crowd was great! haha

hogtownhabsfan*

I haven't been following him this season, but how has the team been playing him? Is he just a 3rd of 4th line guy playing 12 minutes a game, or has he been considered one of their more important players, getting special teams time and playing with good players?

He was expected to fill a top 6 role. He's been so bad, London was forced to trade for a player to fill the role. McCarron is currently an 18 year old 4th liner in the OHL who gets benched frequently.

^Every one of these statements is fact.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
He was expected to fill a top 6 role. He's been so bad, London was forced to trade for a player to fill the role. McCarron is currently an 18 year old 4th liner in the OHL who gets benched frequently.

So you're telling me that there's a good chance that this prospect is turning into a bust? If he's on the 4th line now, then his development isn't going to get better, it's like a catch-22. You don't get better playing on the 4th line, but you need to be good to play on the first line.

hogtownhabsfan*

So you're telling me that there's a good chance that this prospect is turning into a bust? If he's on the 4th line now, then his development isn't going to get better, it's like a catch-22. You don't get better playing on the 4th line, but you need to be good to play on the first line.

I sure hope he doesn't bust. I think he has a good chance to be a 4th liner in the NHL. He's still a while away from being that though, most NHL 4th liners werem't 4th liners in the CHL. If he scraps more, perhaps he could be a decent hockey playing goon? Ala a bigger but less mean Shawn Thornton.

Still, that's pretty awful value for a 1st rounder in a stacked draft.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Tinordi as a 2nd pairing dman and McCarron as a middle six forward would be good value for picks at 22 and 25.

It is average value if one of them makes it and the other busts.

I'll be happy if one of them makes it at one of the stated levels. You can't hit homeruns at every draft just because a player is selected in the first round.

Domenic

Jan 13, 2007
Calgary, AB

Also a fact: In 4 years, he will still be an 18-year old 4th liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad