Proposal: McCann for Puljujarvi

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I don’t take this as a Pens fan. I love McCann’s game and think he’s underrated. I just don’t think Pulju would fit on the team and I’m not really sure what is overall upside still is

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I don’t take this as a Pens fan. I love McCann’s game and think he’s underrated. I just don’t think Pulju would fit on the team and I’m not really sure what is overall upside still is

You probably didn't watch him play this year. He was really good. Oiler fans are excited to see what he can do next season.

Reactions: ujju2

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
In a nutshell a 3rd liner for a 1st liner.

McConnell is averaging 12 to 13 minutes a game. Sometimes more sometimes less.

Pizza boy is playing on an average 15 to 16 and clicks with McDavid.

We have waited for pizza boy. We arenot trading him now for one for one

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Uh, are you drunk or something right now? :laugh:

There's just so much....nonsense in this post that I don't even know where to begin.

Reactions: Macheteops

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Now that RNH is under contract I think Holland will target a pretty cheap 3C or 4C. The price shouldn't be Puljujarvi.

Are you implying that an acquisition of McCann was to fill a center role? He's effective on the wing as well. Ironically, his "style" of player should actually be better suited to the wing. He's an up and down the ice player with a good shot, but isn't the most creative player with the puck. That type of player typically does better on the wing than at center, where you need a bit more creativity/playmaking ability.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Are you implying that an acquisition of McCann was to fill a center role? He's effective on the wing as well. Ironically, his "style" of player should actually be better suited to the wing. He's an up and down the ice player with a good shot, but isn't the most creative player with the puck. That type of player typically does better on the wing than at center, where you need a bit more creativity/playmaking ability.

No, just that Holland will probably go after a 3-4 center next, and probably a top six winger. That is literally what I was saying. I don't see him dealing Puljujarvi for whomever plays ahead or behind of McLeod at center.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
take your homer glasses off

Pizza boy clicks with McDavid and was playing and playing 15+ a night. Mccann was getting an average of just over 12

Are we talking about the same player? What you're saying about McCann is flat out untrue.

Jared McCann Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

For Pittsburgh, McCann has been about a 50 point player per 82 games (84 points in 141 game) that plays 15 minutes a night (14:53 TOI/game). McCann has not once been "just over 12 minutes a night" for the Penguins. This is not "being a homer", this is you literally posting false information.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Not a chance.

Pulju looked really good this year, don’t care about his point totals. He was a two way beast and puck hound, he plays a major defensive role on that line and his solid analytics bear that out.

His best hockey is ahead of him. He opens up a lot of ice for McDavid with how relentless he forechecks and picks up defensive assignments, he’s a good hockey player and I’m glad it’s all starting to come together for Pulju. He’s playing the right way, the points will come for him eventually.

Reactions: Hollel

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Most Oiler fans realize Puljujarvi is not a true 1st line winger. I would rank him as a middle 6 RW as far as value goes... but I do feel there is an upside. I don't ever see him as a big time producing winger, more of a solid 200 foot excellent skating RW who is physical and a beast on front of the net.

I think the offer is fair for what Puljujarvi is today - I really like McCann... problem is we don't have anything to replace Puljujarvi as a top 6 winger.

Not sure the Pens and Oilers make great trade partners to be quite honest, unless the Oilers can (1) re-sign Larsson, (2) land another decent RHD, then (3) a trade of Bear for McCann as a base appeals to the Pens Bear playing on your 3rd pairing would be a great fit - and he could sub in without any problems on the 2nd pairing (RHD), if there are injuries.

Unfortunately the Oilers do not have any positions of strength/depth, so trading our 1RW (let's just say 2RW for argument sakes) for a 3C... even if it is a very good 3C... just doesn't make much sense in my mind.

Reactions: spaghtti

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

I mean I agree that I don't think EDM does this, but there's a gigantic flaw in your argument that is pretty apparent.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Much rather have McCann from a neutral standpoint

JP is getting overrated like crazy because everyone expected him to bust and he was able to hang in the NHL this year. But his production with McDavid is absolutely nothing special.

This take aged well. Only 2 of his points are on the PP. Other than his points, he is huzzling and making space for McDavid and Drai. Pulju is a big part of why McD&Drai are tearing up the league atm.

Puljujärvi 10gp 5g 7a 12p +5

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Pitt does not do this ..why??? McCann is a good trade chip for a D or power forward type. JP doesn't meet any of this. Oens want grit size and physical play....perhaps McCann for Larsson plus ....

Puljujärvi is exactly what you talk about - Power forward, huzzler and netprescence.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Puljujärvi is exactly what you talk about - Power forward, huzzler and netprescence.
Soft. Has size but not much of net front presence at all . With no mcdavid or leon in Pitt his play would have been downgraded substantially. Now having said that, it would have been better than what bonehead hextall did with Mccan

archangel2

May 19, 2019
I think Oilers fans won't like this trade, but I'm not sure so I wanted to throw it out here. Would a deal around these two as a basis make sense? McCann is best used at center IMO, but the Penguins don't really need him at center with Carter and Blueger in their bottom-6. I read a comment that the Oilers need to find a strong 2-way 3C, and I think McCann is that.

I think this may be a hard sell because Puljujarvi's potential, Puljujarvi showing to be a 2-way middle-6er with size may make him intriguing enough for Edmonton that they wouldn't want to trade him right now. Puljujarvi looks to have a very safe downside (what he is right now), while he may still have the offensive potential that made him the 4th overall pick. However, I feel like McCann may fill a big enough need for the Oilers for them to seriously think about doing this.

People need to check the date of this thread. It was done prior to the expansion draft. Pens did not protect McCann

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Soft. Has size but not much of net front presence at all . With no mcdavid or leon in Pitt his play would have been downgraded substantially. Now having said that, it would have been better than what bonehead hextall did with Mccan
Not a net front presence? Interesting.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

That’s just ridiculous.

Pulju works his butt off every shift, creates huge amount of turnovers, space for McDavid and just chances.

He likely wouldn’t have 12 points in 10 games but somewhere in 8-10 in would be realistic.

He’s been a beast ES player this year

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019

I'm partial but honestly think Puljujarvi is one of the best net presences in the league. He's now 12th (tied) at scoring stats and all the players ahead of him have averaged 1-4 minutes more PP time. He's 5th (tied) at ES scoring.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
You think false dichotomies are good ways to make arguments? Interesting....
Yes his 37 career goals are earth shattering.... the next big power forward in the NHL lol...his PIM are a force to be rekon with ...like i said he has size and a big body but not the best net front presence in the NHL, not even close. The facts are he wasn't named one for the NHL 15 best power forwards nor was he named the NHL best net front guy, that went to Anders Lee.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Yes his 37 career goals are earth shattering.... the next big power forward in the NHL lol...his PIM are a force to be rekon with ...like i said he has size and a big body but not the best net front presence in the NHL, not even close. The facts are he wasn't named one for the NHL 15 best power forwards nor was he named the NHL best net front guy, that went to Anders Lee.
You're going like 15 different directions moving the goal posts and changing the argument. This is some impressive shit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad