Proposal: McCann for Puljujarvi

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Oilers fans won't like this trade, but I'm not sure so I wanted to throw it out here. Would a deal around these two as a basis make sense? McCann is best used at center IMO, but the Penguins don't really need him at center with Carter and Blueger in their bottom-6. I read a comment that the Oilers need to find a strong 2-way 3C, and I think McCann is that.

I think this may be a hard sell because Puljujarvi's potential, Puljujarvi showing to be a 2-way middle-6er with size may make him intriguing enough for Edmonton that they wouldn't want to trade him right now. Puljujarvi looks to have a very safe downside (what he is right now), while he may still have the offensive potential that made him the 4th overall pick. However, I feel like McCann may fill a big enough need for the Oilers for them to seriously think about doing this.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think the Oilers would’ve said yes prior to the start of the season. Now? Probably not.

That's a fair take, but I also think it's worth pointing out that McCann had a 61 point pace this year. He had 32 points in 43 games, although he did get a lot of powerplay production (7 PP goals and 3 PP assists).

I think whether they'd say yes or no to this really depends on what they perceive Puljujarvi's upside to be. Do they view him as a 2-way winger with 25-25 production potential, aka a very solid 2-way 2nd liner? I think it would make sense to do the swap if that's the case. Do they still think he has the upside that he had at the time of the draft, aka a significant offensive contributor with size? That's going to be a no.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Oilers would be interested in picking up Mcann but there’s no way they move Puljujarvi at this stage. He’s a cheap top 6 guy and there’s a lot of potential there.

Even though his numbers weren’t massive he was a big reason McDavid put up the best season of his career. He throws the body and is really good on the forecheck, he opens up a lot of space for 97

Puljujarvi is primed for a big season this next year, the points started coming at end of the year for him. Took awhile for the score sheet results to catch up to his good play. Fantasy players take note- Puljujarvi will be a good late round snag

Last edited:

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I like McCann but I think Puljujarvi is poised for a big year next season. The Oilers have made a huge effort to repair this relationship and he is a cheap, useful option at RW.

I think the Oilers say no, but counter offer with something the Penguins might like. McCann would be a good pick up for this team.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I like McCann but I think Puljujarvi is poised for a big year next season. The Oilers have made a huge effort to repair this relationship and he is a cheap, useful option at RW.

I think the Oilers say no, but counter offer with something the Penguins might like. McCann would be a good pick up for this team.

I'm curious, what's the general consensus on Bouchard at this point? If Puljujarvi is a no go (and I understand why), I'd be curious if Bouchard would also be a no-go but I haven't heard much in terms of opinions surrounding him.

If Puljujarvi is off the table, I imagine Bouchard would be the next guy the Penguins ask about. They have literally nothing on RD beyond Letang and Marino, and Letang's old while Marino had a really bad sophomore slump.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I'm curious, what's the general consensus on Bouchard at this point? If Puljujarvi is a no go (and I understand why), I'd be curious if Bouchard would also be a no-go but I haven't heard much in terms of opinions surrounding him.

If Puljujarvi is off the table, I imagine Bouchard would be the next guy the Penguins ask about. They have literally nothing on RD beyond Letang and Marino, and Letang's old while Marino had a really bad sophomore slump.

You’re dreaming real big here. Bouchard is a top 3 prospect on the Oilers and we’d look for someone better than McCann if we’re trading him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You’re dreaming real big here. Bouchard is a top 3 prospect on the Oilers and we’d look for someone better than McCann if we’re trading him.

I mean the other guy said "we'd counter with something the Penguins would like", so I was wondering what that "counter" was going to be.

I'm just not sure what the Oilers would offer that would count as "a nice offer the Penguins would like" if Puljujarvi, Bouchard and (presumably) Broberg would be no go. Maybe Hextall would like to get back into the 1st round this year, similar to the Kapanen trade from a year ago, but I think a lot of Penguins fans wouldn't be happy about that trade.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
McCann is a good middle six winger and a player the Pens should hold onto. One part because he's good and still relatively young and one part because his value probably isn't great due to the fact he's due for a pretty significant raise a year from now with arbitration available to him.

Puljujarvi has tremendous value for the Oilers because he's probably a good three or four seasons away before he approaches that level of pay unless his offense suddenly explodes.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
McCann is a good middle six winger and a player the Pens should hold onto. One part because he's good and still relatively young and one part because his value probably isn't great due to the fact he's due for a pretty significant raise a year from now with arbitration available to him.

Puljujarvi has tremendous value for the Oilers because he's probably a good three or four seasons away before he approaches that level of pay unless his offense suddenly explodes.

Tbh I feel like fans make way bigger of a deal out of this than GMs do.

I don't think a team that wants him is going to try to load all the penguins because he has arbitration rights next season. If he was a restrictive free agent this season that's something else, but I don't think actual NHL GM's operate like that. For example look at the Kapanen trade from last off season.

I feel like fans on here kind of just pick and choose when they want to say a contract is a problem based on when it's convenient for them. Sometimes a long-term deal is bad because it's a long commitment for a player who could potentially be bad. Other times a short-term commitment is bad because it means the player could leave soon after.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
McCann just seems like a player you pick up after the first few days of FA. Not one that you give up a Puljujarvi, Bouchard, Broberg or even Holloway

Okay yeah I think we're done here. If this is how McCann is viewed on here, it's pointless to have any future discussions.

Calling McCann a "few days after FA opens signing' is so far off that I don't think it's worth discussing any further.

Reactions: GOilers88

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

Bouchard is definitely a no go, perhaps even moreso than Puljujarvi. You guys already got a bounty in Marino from the Oilers, try not to go to the well too often, k? :laugh:

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I think its more than reasonable value-wise, I'm sure Nurse would be glad to add a former junior teammate that is a character guy, but at the end of the day Puljujarvi still possesses a high ceiling that could be reached. With McCann, I feel like he's pretty close to his peak. He's the better player right now, but that could change as early as the end of next season. Also, with the re-signing of Nuge, I see a bit of redundancy in acquiring McCann.

Reactions: Homesick

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis

Bouchard is definitely less likely to be dealt than Puljujarvi.

Id be really surprised if they considered any offers on Bouchard. He’s exactly what the team needs and he absolutely looks very NHL ready in his limited showings this past year.
Behind McDrai + Nurse, I think everyone in the Oilers organization is more likely to be moved before Bouchard.

Any Oilers offer would probably be their 1st+ A non blue chip prospect (so not Bouchard/Broberg/Holloway) for McCann similar to the Kapanen deal. Maybe something could be worked out for Bear since you said RHD is a need, but I can’t see Holland loving that idea. Bear is a young 2nd pair RHD who is set to play big minutes this season, trading him would leave a hole, even though McCann would be a nice add. If somehow the Oilers sign Hamilton then it definitely makes sense, but getting Dougie isn’t likely.

Last edited:

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
If we sign Larsson I'd do Bear+. That being said I am not really in a hurry to trade more D to the Pens only to have it bite us in the ass again.

Reactions: spaghtti

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
I think Oilers fans won't like this trade, but I'm not sure so I wanted to throw it out here. Would a deal around these two as a basis make sense? McCann is best used at center IMO, but the Penguins don't really need him at center with Carter and Blueger in their bottom-6. I read a comment that the Oilers need to find a strong 2-way 3C, and I think McCann is that.

I think this may be a hard sell because Puljujarvi's potential, Puljujarvi showing to be a 2-way middle-6er with size may make him intriguing enough for Edmonton that they wouldn't want to trade him right now. Puljujarvi looks to have a very safe downside (what he is right now), while he may still have the offensive potential that made him the 4th overall pick. However, I feel like McCann may fill a big enough need for the Oilers for them to seriously think about doing this.

McCann would be good but he's also left handed. We need a RHC for the 3 spot, which is why I believe a trade with Philly involving Jones for Patrick is the trade we need to make.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Any Oilers offer would probably be their 1st+ A non blue chip prospect (so not Bouchard/Broberg/Holloway) for McCann similar to the Kapanen deal.

Am I missing something about McCann? 25 year old, with 1 year left before RFA, coming off his best season at a little over a 60 point pace over 82 games. That screams middle 6 forward to me. If I'm trading a 1st and a B prospect, I would hope for a return with a more impactful winger.

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012

Bouchard is our top prospect. He's going to be a full-timer next season, hence why Barrie won't return unless we trade Bear or don't re-sign Larsson.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Am I missing something about McCann? 25 year old, with 1 year left before RFA, coming off his best season at a little over a 60 point pace over 82 games. That screams middle 6 forward to me. If I'm trading a 1st and a B prospect, I would hope for a return with a more impactful winger.
He's a good player. Complimentary for sure, but still a valuable piece. Still young and being an RFA means the Oilers could lock him down to another contract after. He brings speed and some skill which is what the Oilers need in their middle 6. To me he is much more preferable to Rakell, who is rumored to cost a 1st as well, and he'd walk to UFA right afterwards.

I think he's worth a mid 1st.
Who do you think you could snag for a 1st rounder?

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
McCann’s best production always comes as 2C when given one of Sid or Malkin’s linemates when they’re out due to injury. Sullivan forces him to wing way more often than not for whatever reason.

Wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if he’s given a 2C role somewhere and REALLY breaking out.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

What type of wingers do you exactly think a 1st and a B prospect get you?

Coleman, Zucker, etc.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
I think it's a fair deal.

Personally I've thought JP would be a player for the Oilers since he was drafted and while his numbers didn't jump out at anyone last year, watching him play was watching a young player grow into a very much needed role for this team. I think he's going to break out big next season so I'd have to decline.

Good offer though.

Reactions: RattsSSV

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad