Maybe Tavares is the problem

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
All 4 of them are the problem as far as I'm concerned, 4 guys making McDavid money nowhere near him at all.

However since we can only realistically get rid of Marner and Tavares, they should go, but yeah Tavares totally failed in Toronto, 24 points/11 goals in 38 playoff games is awful for an $11 mill player with all the support in the world.

It's no coincidence that he failed with Canada too and was nearly a part of the greatest collapse in IIHF history vs Austria.

Unfortunately it's Toronto so no consequences are going to be had, ideally he'd get traded or if he sniffs the ice at all next year no letter. But we can't do that because it's "mean" (not mean for players to hose us when it comes to value relative to contracts though) and for Toronto NHL means National Happiness League, our superstars win the cup at that every year.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It's hard to fill out the roster, find defense or an elite goalie when we're so top heavy in our salary cap structure, having that amount of money in forwards and averaging 2 goals per game in the playoffs just isn't acceptable.

Matthews isn't anywhere near McDavid as we've seen in these playoffs
Not one of the 4 has the ability or will to rise up and win a series. They are too passive to succeed in the playoffs when players play for keeps. They should all be punted. But hey at least they won't be battered and bruised July 1st when the collect and can enjoy those huge bonuses. Thanks Shanny.

Reactions: Al14

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Not one of the 4 has the ability or will to rise up and win a series. They are too passive to succeed in the playoffs when players play for keeps. They should all be punted. But hey at least they won't be battered and bruised July 1st when the collect and can enjoy those huge bonuses. Thanks Shanny.

It's a big reason why I want to change it up in the next 1-2 years

Marner trade this summer

Tavares - do not bring back under any circumstance. He has too much cache in this league that a coach is likely going to give him more minutes than he deserves and even if you strip the C, he'd have a voice of some kind in the locker room, he'd be looked at as a leader.

Reactions: thewave and arso40

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Marner trade this summer

Tavares - do not bring back under any circumstance. He has too much cache in this league that a coach is likely going to give him more minutes than he deserves and even if you strip the C, he'd have a voice of some kind in the locker room, he'd be looked at as a leader.
I don't know what a new coach would do for him. He was a star for Babcock and never got that back under SK. Of course now he is old in hockey terms so don't know how much bounce back is there even if Keefe was a factor. That will bear itself out one way or another under Berube. I am not concerned about him being a millstone until I see how much he can contribute and if he is still a center or not.

Reactions: arso40

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't know what a new coach would do for him. He was a star for Babcock and never got that back under SK. Of course now he is old in hockey terms so don't know how much bounce back is there even if Keefe was a factor. That will bear itself out one way or another under Berube. I am not concerned about him being a millstone until I see how much he can contribute and if he is still a center or not.

It's more disappointing/stupid that we have not been able to get 1 home grown centre in the time we've had JT to overtake him at that spot.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Marner trade this summer

Won't win with Tavares making 11 sheets and in your top 6. I like our chances better with Tavares in our bottom 6 earning $3+m and a solid #2C who can get the best out of Willie.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
Marner would so do himself a favor if he signed a team-friendly deal to take the pressure off him

This is ridiculous.

Maybe Tavares is the problem​

Ridiculous.

Looks like we found Paul Marner’s account

It's more disappointing/stupid that we have not been able to get 1 home grown centre in the time we've had JT to overtake him at that spot.
Because Tavares accelerated the rebuild.

And we gave away too many picks.

Dubas sucks, and so does the loser that hired him.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think now that Keefe is gone and will no longer be trying to mitigate his buddy's horrible mistake of signing JT, we may well see Nylander finally get a chance at the position he was drafted to fill.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think now that Keefe is gone and will no longer be trying to mitigate his buddy's horrible mistake of signing JT, we may well see Nylander finally get a chance at the position he was drafted to fill.

I wouldn't really bother with that, just me.

Nylander next year is doing 1 of 2 things if I have my way;

Going on Matthews wing and they crush the league

Or he goes to the 2nd line and carries the line.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I wouldn't really bother with that, just me.

Nylander next year is doing 1 of 2 things if I have my way;

Going on Matthews wing and they crush the league

Or he goes to the 2nd line and carries the line.
He's been carrying the second line for at least a couple of years, and Domi seems to work just fine with Matthews. I'd like to see what Willy can do at 2C with a couple of fast wingers.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Valid points.

We actually nearly signed Verhaeghe too for like 1 year 1M but we were too tight on cap so we had to sign Vesey instead at 1 year 800k

This is actually true... This is the sum of Dubads time here. Misstep after misstep after misstep mostly to the loud and proud applauses of the usual suspects and little kids that don't know better.

Because at least he steps up and produces the deeper a playoff series goes.

Marner should try it sometime.

Certain people just feel the need to seal clap for guys like Marner Keefe Dubas etc. Its a strange love affair they have or had with certain players. Bitter clingers and little kids that got their first Leafs jersey in Mitch Marner because he plays Fortnite pretty much.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Marner hate is all the rage right now but maybe it's JT that should be shouldering lots to blame

Look at his Islander days he missed the playoffs in 6 out of 9 years. Point totals in the playoffs drop significantly.

I think his leadership with no emotion and robot-like affect the team. I think you need a better captain who will get piss guys off and call them out when they suck.

Sure Marner has his faults in the playoffs with him being scared but maybe he needs a leader to call his bullshit out and tell him to man up. JT is not that leader

Maybe getting rid of JT next year is the turning point of the franchise and the cap hit they need to get rid of.

Marner would so do himself a favor if he signed a team-friendly deal to take the pressure off him
None of Toronto's stars elevate in the playoffs. Maybe Rielly shows a little more fire sometimes. This year he didn't.

It's funny when we keep playing this game of "who's worse in the playoffs". They all have continually lost.

On the leadership/captain front. Once JT finishes with TOR the C will go to Matthews. Is that better? He might be the team's best player, but is he a great leader? Hardly.

What scares me is Treliving appears to be following Shanny's vision. He too is playing the game "who's worse in the playoffs". It sounds like he missed out on acquiring Markstrom. This doesn't appear to be retooling. This appears to be "Hey Toronto are close. They just need ______, and trade ______, and make ________ captain."

Good luck

There will be pain in the near future.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
No team is going to trade for Marner and pay him what he wants. They’ve watched him in the playoffs. He’s certainly more valuable to the team than JT but both are overpaid by millions. Teams can maybe win with one $10M+ bad contract but not two.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
No team is going to trade for Marner and pay him what he wants. They’ve watched him in the playoffs. He’s certainly more valuable to the team than JT but both are overpaid by millions. Teams can maybe win with one $10M+ bad contract but not two.
There is only one team dumb enough to pay Marner 12+ million.
Unfortunately it has to be mine.
10 years of rebuild now I’ll have to wait possibly another 8 for the next one.

Reactions: thewave

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
None of Toronto's stars elevate in the playoffs. Maybe Rielly shows a little more fire sometimes. This year he didn't.

It's funny when we keep playing this game of "who's worse in the playoffs". They all have continually lost.

On the leadership/captain front. Once JT finishes with TOR the C will go to Matthews. Is that better? He might be the team's best player, but is he a great leader? Hardly.

What scares me is Treliving appears to be following Shanny's vision. He too is playing the game "who's worse in the playoffs". It sounds like he missed out on acquiring Markstrom. This doesn't appear to be retooling. This appears to be "Hey Toronto are close. They just need ______, and trade ______, and make ________ captain."

Good luck

There will be pain in the near future.
Let's trade marner retool the bacc end and see where we are next year maybe the team adapts a berube like attitude 🤔

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Let's trade marner retool the bacc end and see where we are next year maybe the team adapts a berube like attitude 🤔

If not need the fans to adopt a MTL attitude. Tune out, turn off and dont participate with the team. Mock and ridicule until they fix it correctly.

Sadly wont happen though.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I cant totally agree. Nylander was injured and came back to perform well. Mathews had one dominant game and then got sick/injured. No team can carry 4 or 5 guys making that much, especially when they are weak beta males. Hockey is a brutal sport, its not good to have too many soft and gentle, rich and spoiled players if you want to win a cup. This team has 2 years to win, then the whole thing begins to implode. The only over 30 players who ever led a team to a cup was Messier. If the Leafs resign Marner it means they have no intention of ever winning it.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I cant totally agree. Nylander was injured and came back to perform well. Mathews had one dominant game and then got sick/injured. No team can carry 4 or 5 guys making that much, especially when they are weak beta males. Hockey is a brutal sport, its not good to have too many soft and gentle, rich and spoiled players if you want to win a cup. This team has 2 years to win, then the whole thing begins to implode. The only over 30 players who ever led a team to a cup was Messier. If the Leafs resign Marner it means they have no intention of ever winning it.
Willie played well, gave us a 1-0 lead late in game #7 but I have not seen anything that tells me he has the ability or will to rise up and win a series like what McDavid is trying to do in the SCF (and without Robin), what Matthew Tkachuk did last year vs Boston and Carolina, what Makin did when Crosby was hurt, what Gilmour did for us in '93, hell what MaCaulay and Roberts did when Sundin was out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad