GDT: Maybe Ol’ AD Keeps The Streak Going

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
That's a terrible loss

I'm sorry but we haven't been a good team for the last few weeks. I'm really starting to think we need a big trade to shake things up. Not just for this year but for the whole dynamic of the franchise. There's a mental block they really struggle to get past

This effort is inexcusable, but somehow I don’t think we’ve seen the last of it.
They do this shit way too often to think that it's a one off. This is pretty much the kind of play they settle into for long stretches every year and especially in the playoffs.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
We don't know how to play through to the end of the game and it's been that way for awhile and that is on Rod
There are a lot of things that Rod probably needs to take ownership of for this franchise to take that next step.

Yes, he collects a ton of wins, but there very much is a ceiling on where this team will be in it's current makeup and play style that we hit early in the playoffs. Makes for good regular seasons but we are not built for the playoffs at all

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
There are a lot of things that Rod probably needs to take ownership of for this franchise to take that next step.

Yes, he collects a ton of wins, but there very much is a ceiling on where this team will be in it's current makeup and play style that we hit early in the playoffs. Makes for good regular seasons but we are not built for the playoffs at all

Okay, but if we're not built for the playoffs, how is that on Rod and not on Waddell/Dundon?

skipnjump

Apr 6, 2019
NC

Totally. Being "just good enough" doesn't work anymore. Fans will get tired of us getting to a point and then failing.

Okay, but if we're not built for the playoffs, how is that on Rod and not on Waddell/Dundon?
I admit, that I think that the coach is the one who motivates and drives the team. And us constantly not playing through the 3rd period and not being able to score empty net goals is on the coach. Yes, we also need some better players and that is on Waddell and Dundon

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Bad coaching in the playoffs and not being built for the playoffs are not mutually exclusive things. Rod's "let's hold hands, fighting and rough stuff is bad mmmkay" is certainly not conducive to winning much in the playoffs unless we're just so much better than the opposition a la pre NHL expansion teams.

Finlandia WOAT

No blocks, No slappers
May 23, 2010
Vancouver scored with 17 seconds left.

It's clear who is to blame for this loss.

images (1).jpeg

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Bad coaching in the playoffs and not being built for the playoffs are not mutually exclusive things. Rod's "let's hold hands, fighting and rough stuff is bad mmmkay" is certainly not conducive to winning much in the playoffs unless we're just so much better than the opposition a la pre NHL expansion teams.
*loud farting noise*

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
IDK but many other teams (such as Tampa, NYR, Boston) manage to have several.
I think it’s a development/coaching/systems issue. Naturally offensively gifted young players aren’t given as much room and freedom to play their natural style with how this team is coached. It’s also a market issue, Aho is a legitimate star, if he played on any of the big market teams he would be talked about constantly. We’ve started undervaluing him as a player, as I pointed out the other day lots of people here, and the broadcast team keep saying he needs to step it up yet he’s PPG, there ain’t a whole lot of stepping up for him to do.

To me it seems like a some of our young guys play scared of messing up their defensive assignments. And the ones that do play “the right way” don’t put up the offensive numbers to be included in that star player tier.

TB, BOS & COL either drafted and developed their stars or used analytics to identify young assets with unrealized or untapped potential. Towes in COL comes to mind, a highly analytical FO in COL took advantage of a relic in NYI to get a young defenseman that would be a #1 on about 90% of the teams in the league.

NYR gets the benefit of young players who want to play in the spotlight and live that big city lifestyle.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
There’s no reason not to have Pesce on the ice at the end of one goal games. It’s just f***ing stupid. I love Rod but goddamnit if you want to win the game have him on the ice.
Expanding on my own thought here: the worst part of Burns over TDA is that Burns is competent enough defending that Rod or Gleason trust him and he’s out in situations he doesn’t need to be. There’s no chance TDA is on the ice in that situation but Burns is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad