GDT: Maybe Ol’ AD Keeps The Streak Going

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hockeynjune

Just a soft breeze
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
We are a group of fans with 10 years of baggage. We have high expectations. Building means getting better. Not sure we are better than last year. With our anemic power play , teams have little to stop them from gooning it up. That is a big advantage we give them.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
This doesn't feel right, because every time Burns blows his coverage and turns the puck over, I pretty much start expecting a goal against lol
Burns worries me because he consistently is loose with the puck 2-3X a game which may not harm you in the long regular season but will be fatal in the playoffs.

I think similar to LY with Tony, teams are clogging the middle and making it difficult for Burns to get clean PP shots off. That is where Patches can help. Still need that 2nd PP QB though.

Last edited:

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
This doesn't feel right, because every time Burns blows his coverage and turns the puck over, I pretty much start expecting a goal against lol
I think that’s because a shit ton of you guys have a preconceived idea of what Burns is as a player.

This is where my frustration with Rods whole “I don’t need analytics to tell me what’s going on, I see how they play every game” attitude. Sometimes what we think we see and what’s actually happening on the ice are two totally different things.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen Slavin get burned this season and a certain group of posters start dragging Burns.

Either a: they don’t want Burns to succeed because they’re so butt hurt over not having TDA or b: Not a single bad word shall ever be spoken about the Hurricanes always perfect #1 defenseman Jaccob Slavin. Even though he had a pretty shit start to the season.

Now I’m not saying Burns is perfect, far from it but he isn’t nearly as bad as some here think he is. And he’s miles better on the defensive side of the puck that TDA ever was, or ever will be.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Not a single bad word shall ever be spoken about the Hurricanes always perfect #1 defenseman Jaccob Slavin. Even though he had a pretty shit start to the season.
So it's ok for you to wildly exaggerate in saying Slavin has had a "shit start to the season", but you have no patience for someone who admits that they don't have great confidence in Burns?

I wrote a few sentences not too long ago about how it's ok for us to acknowledge that Slavin hasn't been his usual godly self and it got a ton of likes and zero push-back. I think we're all pretty clear-headed about Slavin's (slight) decline this year, so put your pitchfork away.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
All three regular pairings are in the top 20 defensively. To have a third pairing in the top 20 is *absurd*.

Remember: this team was top 5 in the league *without* its top goalie and its top goal scoring acquisition.

Playing defense is not this team's problem. Scoring 5x5 is not a problem. The PK isn't a problem at present. Scoring on the PP is definitely a problem, and goaltending is a potential problem. Both will improve if/as we get/stay healthy.

The playoffs are a crapshoot. Who's hot? Who's healthy? Who's deep? I still think the Canes have great chances if they get/stay healthy, and even decent chances if they don't. And a good chance is all you can ask for; there are no guarantees. Ask Boston, who for all their alleged toughness and dominance haven't won a Cup in more than a decade and couldn't get past us in the first round last year.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
All three regular pairings are in the top 20 defensively. To have a third pairing in the top 20 is *absurd*.

Remember: this team was top 5 in the league *without* its top goalie and its top goal scoring acquisition.

Playing defense is not this team's problem. Scoring 5x5 is not a problem. The PK isn't a problem at present. Scoring on the PP is definitely a problem, and goaltending is a potential problem. Both will improve if/as we get/stay healthy.

The playoffs are a crapshoot. Who's hot? Who's healthy? Who's deep? I still think the Canes have great chances if they get/stay healthy, and even decent chances if they don't. And a good chance is all you can ask for; there are no guarantees. Ask Boston, who for all their alleged toughness and dominance haven't won a Cup in more than a decade and couldn't get past us in the first round last year.

Bullshit!! If the front office was doing it's job and Rod wasn't incompetent the Canes would be winning by at least 3 goals every night and they'd go at worst 16-3 in the playoffs on route to a Cup. This team is so flawed I still wonder if they'll make the playoffs! :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: WreckingCrew

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
We are a group of fans with 10 years of baggage. We have high expectations. Building means getting better. Not sure we are better than last year. With our anemic power play , teams have little to stop them from gooning it up. That is a big advantage we give them.
IMO we were better last year. If we had Andersen healthy (LOL) and the PP actually worked, we may have had a deep run.

I think that’s because a shit ton of you guys have a preconceived idea of what Burns is as a player.

This is where my frustration with Rods whole “I don’t need analytics to tell me what’s going on, I see how they play every game” attitude. Sometimes what we think we see and what’s actually happening on the ice are two totally different things.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen Slavin get burned this season and a certain group of posters start dragging Burns.

Either a: they don’t want Burns to succeed because they’re so butt hurt over not having TDA or b: Not a single bad word shall ever be spoken about the Hurricanes always perfect #1 defenseman Jaccob Slavin. Even though he had a pretty shit start to the season.

Now I’m not saying Burns is perfect, far from it but he isn’t nearly as bad as some here think he is. And he’s miles better on the defensive side of the puck that TDA ever was, or ever will be.
Burns is better than TDA defensively.

TDA is 10x the puck mover Burns is.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
IMO we were better last year. If we had Andersen healthy (LOL) and the PP actually worked, we may have had a deep run.
We played in 14 playoff games. Won one round and took the second as close as it could have been- i guess that 7th game maybe could have gone to overtime but beyond that how much more do they need before its considered a "deep" run? 16 teams qualified and the canes had better results than 10 of them.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
We played in 14 playoff games. Won one round and took the second as close as it could have been- i guess that 7th game maybe could have gone to overtime but beyond that how much more do they need before its considered a "deep" run? 16 teams qualified and the canes had better results than 10 of them.
One more goal and they're in the ECF.

But them's the breaks. ECF appearance = deep run. They only missed it by a goal, but miss it they did.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I think if the playoff outcomes had occurred in a different order, the feeling about the team would be different:

Year 1 = Round 1 loss to a superior team (Year 2 in reality)
Year 2 = Round 1 win as favorite, Round 2 loss to a comparable to superior team (Year 3)
Year 3 = close Round 1 win to a comparable opponent, close Round 2 loss to a comparable opponent (Year 4)
Year 4 = close Round 1 win to a comparable opponent, Round 2 win against a comparable opponent, round 3 loss to a superior team (Year 1)

Non-linear progression in the context of linear expectations.

Last edited:

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
So it's ok for you to wildly exaggerate in saying Slavin has had a "shit start to the season", but you have no patience for someone who admits that they don't have great confidence in Burns?

I wrote a few sentences not too long ago about how it's ok for us to acknowledge that Slavin hasn't been his usual godly self and it got a ton of likes and zero push-back. I think we're all pretty clear-headed about Slavin's (slight) decline this year, so put your pitchfork away.
Yes I was a little harsh in my wording. Maybe, “Jaccob Slavin wasn’t his normal dominant defensive self to start the season” would be more to your liking?

I guess all I was trying to say was quite a few posters were giving Burns a ton of flack when it seemed like Slavin was the one getting burnt defensively. Hell he’s still one of, if not, the top defensive defensemen in the entire league. IMO the FO hasn’t done him a ton of favors with his rotating cast of partners. That’s not to say Burns is immune to criticism either, he’s been turned around plenty himself this season. They’re still a pretty amazing pair, and the Hurricanes are lucky to have as dominant top four as they do.

Funny thing about putting my pitchfork up, as I literally read this as soon as I came in from the barn where I had just hung my pitchfork up after feeding the cows. I found it so amusing that I ran back out there to snap a picture!

CA706ED7-A741-49C0-8D0D-67287DBB9CE8.jpeg

Unhinged Finn

Skunk is my spirit animal
May 1, 2022
I think if the playoff outcomes had occurred in a different order, the feeling about the team would be different:

Year 1 = Round 1 loss to a superior team (Year 2 in reality)
Year 2 = Round 1 win as favorite, Round 2 loss to a comparable to superior team (Year 3)
Year 3 = close Round 1 win to a comparable opponent, close Round 2 loss to a comparable opponent (Year 4) Year 4 = close Round 1 win to a comparable opponent, Round 2 win against a comparable opponent, round 3 loss to a superior team (Year 1)

Non-linear progression in the context of linear expectations.
How about expectations and progression 2010-2018? Linear, non-linear or non-existent?

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Yes I was a little harsh in my wording. Maybe, “Jaccob Slavin wasn’t his normal dominant defensive self to start the season” would be more to your liking?

I guess all I was trying to say was quite a few posters were giving Burns a ton of flack when it seemed like Slavin was the one getting burnt defensively. Hell he’s still one of, if not, the top defensive defensemen in the entire league. IMO the FO hasn’t done him a ton of favors with his rotating cast of partners. That’s not to say Burns is immune to criticism either, he’s been turned around plenty himself this season. They’re still a pretty amazing pair, and the Hurricanes are lucky to have as dominant top four as they do.

Funny thing about putting my pitchfork up, as I literally read this as soon as I came in from the barn where I had just hung my pitchfork up after feeding the cows. I found it so amusing that I ran back out there to snap a picture!

View attachment 636288

Ok, so I gotta ask: what's up with 6/16/23 written on your hand? Do you have one of these in your garage as well as a pitchfork? :naughty:

1673906969851.png

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Ok, so I gotta ask: what's up with 6/16/23 written on your hand? Do you have one of these in your garage as well as a pitchfork? :naughty:

View attachment 636301
Having the flu and working all day gets the brain nice and foggy.

And hilariously enough my insanely rich neighbor owned a Delorean that never right ran for many years. I think he finally sold it off to complete his Dodge Viper collection.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
How about one single win on the road? That's all we needed, one road win

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

View attachment 636288
lolwut

man we gotta meme the shit out of this somehow

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007

I was told the 3rd pairing is not good and needs upgrading?

Reactions: geehaad

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I was told the 3rd pairing is not good and needs upgrading?
They do. That list doesn’t account for quality of competition and we have the top xGA system. I would like to see Chatfield get more ice time but in reality the 3rd pair doesn’t play a lot. Getting a 5th top 4 defender should be a priority for the playoffs to prevent matchup issues.

Reactions: Tryamw

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

I had a similar thought recently when reading through these threads. It's great that we've finally arrived at a place where we're discussing/debating on the how's and why's of making a deeper run in the playoffs, rather than discussing why we can't make the playoffs. Which happened for almost a decade.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I had a similar thought recently when reading through these threads. It's great that we've finally arrived at a place where we're discussing/debating on the how's and why's of making a deeper run in the playoffs, rather than discussing why we can't make the playoffs. Which happened for almost a decade.

I think we didn't even discuss why we couldn't make it. We were just resigned to the notion that we wouldn't make it, and probably 6-7 of this 10 years we were out of it by Christmas.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
That's right. I forgot how miserable we were. At least for a while then is was just numbness, and forced laughter.

It wasn't even forced. The team was so bad at times, it was legitimately funny. Like, the players were getting paid millions, the GM and the coach had hefty salaries themselves, and we somehow managed to put together some godawful performances over the years.

Remember when we gave up 3 shorthanded goals on the same powerplay?

How about one of the many times we scored late to tie it, and then gave up a goal in the less than minute remaining in the game?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad