Value of: Maxime Comtois

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Compared to Lindholm, yes Comtois should also be considered a spare part. That's not to say that him or any of those pieces on the other side are devoid of value, but none of them are the type of young asset that would make for a fitting starting point.

The Ducks aren't hurting for depth. They don't need roster filler, or more guys who top out as good complimentary players. In this context where they are trading their best player, quality will undoubtedly win out over quantity. Nearly every contending team will be checking on the price to rent Lindholm, it's entirely ambitious to think you will get him without putting some sort of blue chip asset on the table.

It really is a classic HF offer where you stack B assets high enough until you can say the value is sufficient for a star player, but that doesn't make it attractive for the other side or realistically even close to the best offer they could get.

Then resign Lindholm. Easy.

Or this could be the classic "My UFA that says he wants to test the market is worth your star player of greater value". When was the last time a player like Lindholm was traded for a package that wasn't a collection of assets?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Or this could be the classic "My UFA that says he wants to test the market is worth your star player of greater value". When was the last time a player like Lindholm was traded for a package that wasn't a collection of assets?
I think we’d rather just keep it simple

a 1st + b to b+ prospect for lindholm at 50%

or a good prospect + later pick for lindholm

We don’t need all the extra stuff and adding comtois

Obviously the ideal option is resign him

Reactions: SEALBound
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

Or how about the Ducks just don't move him for your garbage offer? They probably wouldn't move Lindholm alone for the package and then you throw in Comtois lol.

Like you made an trade proposal for both Lindholm and Comtois that didn't include a first round pick. How on earth are you surprised people hate it?

Edit-Upon further reading its somehow significantly worse, chances are it would only be a third round pick and not a second. Which can't happen but also makes this the worst Lindholm proposal I've seen yet. Other Ducks fans went way too easy on you.

Reactions: bsu

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

If the price is reasonable, signing him is far and away the best option for Anaheim, as it's the only one that guarantees them a top pairing Dman.

In a world where support/complimentary guys like Savard, Foligno, Coleman, Pageau, Goodrow, Hartman etc...all can garner a return of a 1st+ as rentals, I have zero doubt about Lindholm being able to return high end asset(s) even as an impending UFA. His value so far and away eclipses those recent rentals, that we don't necessarily have a clear comparison. It's not every deadline that a number #1 or clear cut top pairing D becomes available.

Reactions: bsu

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Or how about the Ducks just don't move him for your garbage offer? They probably wouldn't move Lindholm alone for the package and then you throw in Comtois lol.

Like you made an trade proposal for both Lindholm and Comtois that didn't include a first round pick. How on earth are you surprised people hate it?

Edit-Upon further reading its somehow significantly worse, chances are it would only be a third round pick and not a second. Which can't happen but also makes this the worst Lindholm proposal I've seen yet. Other Ducks fans went way too easy on you.

So you think a UFA Lindholm, who stated that he intends to test the market is worth more than...and let me check my notes...a 24yo Top 6 wing, a 25yo Top 4 dman, a 2nd round pick, and a good prospect. This is your assessment? This logic and reasoning is going to be the basis for your argument? You sure about this? You can dislike Kapanen, Pettersson, picks, and prospects, that's fine...but when discussing value, objectivity is often important. And the lack of this is why so many people are often shocked and disappointed when their big trade piece gets a fair return.

If the price is reasonable, signing him is far and away the best option for Anaheim, as it's the only one that guarantees them a top pairing Dman.

In a world where support/complimentary guys like Savard, Foligno, Coleman, Pageau, Goodrow, Hartman etc...all can garner a return of a 1st+ as rentals, I have zero doubt about Lindholm being able to return high end asset(s) even as an impending UFA. His value so far and away eclipses those recent rentals, that we don't necessarily have a clear comparison. It's not every deadline that a number #1 or clear cut top pairing D becomes available.

I would suggest that you probably have the last best recent example in Shattenkirk. He was a premium piece in 2017. He got:
Brad Malone
Zachary Sanford
2017 1st round pick
2019 2nd round Conditional and wasn't met so Caps kept it.

Brad Malone is essentially a throw away, they didn't get the 2nd, so the deal boils down to Sanford and a 1st. A prospect who had 26 games and 3 pts to his name and late 1st.

So...I mean, excuse me for not buying that Petterson+2nd+Hallander is not a better value than that. If you want the first and a prospect, hey that's fine. I think we could probably come to an agreement that it would likely be the better route. But let's at least try to be adults about it.

EDIT: Holy jesus this is a thread about Comtois. I took it way off the rails.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
So you think a UFA Lindholm, who stated that he intends to test the market is worth more than...and let me check my notes...a 24yo Top 6 wing, a 25yo Top 4 dman, a 2nd round pick, and a good prospect. This is your assessment? This logic and reasoning is going to be the basis for your argument? You sure about this? You can dislike Kapanen, Pettersson, picks, and prospects, that's fine...but when discussing value, objectivity is often important. And the lack of this is why so many people are often shocked and disappointed when their big trade piece gets a fair return.

I would suggest that you probably have the last best recent example in Shattenkirk. He was a premium piece in 2017. He got:
Brad Malone
Zachary Sanford
2017 1st round pick

Brad Malone is essentially a throw away, they didn't get the 2nd, so the deal boils down to Sanford and a 1st. A prospect who had 26 games and 3 pts to his name and late 1st.

So...I mean, excuse me for not buying that Petterson+2nd+Hallander is not a better value than that. If you want the first and a prospect, hey that's fine. I think we could probably come to an agreement that it would likely be the better route. But let's at least try to be adults about it.

I mean when you're misleading and label them like that, sure. But the second round pick becomes a third if he actually tests the market(truly the most deranged thing you came up with), the top 4 defenseman isn't trusted to play more than 15 minutes a game and comes with a big price tag and the good prospect was just traded so the Leafs could avoid losing Alex Kerfoot to Seattle and is currently doing not much in the AHL. Even Kapanen, the one piece I kind of like, is struggling a bit and is a year away from UFA.

So yeah, if you want to break it down to Pettersson+Hallander+2nd(even though it's a third and you keep acting like it isn't) for Lindholm I'd happily tell you to shove it. It's an awful proposal and if you had any sense you'd be embarrassed you posted it, let alone keep defending it.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA

Brad Malone
Zachary Sanford
2017 1st round pick

I think you're being a bit disingenuous regarding your players. Kapanen is not a top 6 but more of a middle six Pker and Petterson we literally traded away. He's not the same player sure but he's a #4 at best and makes 4 mill to boot. All these peices have value but don't have enough value by themselves to really start that conversation. It will start with a first or a high end prospect. If the deal does not have one of the then it's not really worth discussing. To be clear neither Kapnen or Petterson hold that value to the Ducks.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I mean when you're misleading and label them like that, sure. But the second round pick becomes a third if he actually tests the market(truly the most deranged thing you came up with), the top 4 defenseman isn't trusted to play more than 15 minutes a game and comes with a big price tag and the good prospect was just traded so the Leafs could avoid losing Alex Kerfoot to Seattle and is currently doing not much in the AHL. Even Kapanen, the one piece I kind of like, is struggling a bit and is a year away from UFA.

So yeah, if you want to break it down to Pettersson+Hallander+2nd(even though it's a third and you keep acting like it isn't) for Lindholm I'd happily tell you to shove it. It's an awful proposal and if you had any sense you'd be embarrassed you posted it, let alone keep defending it.

So by the exact same definitions, you can say that Comtois is now a middle 6 player. *roll eyes*

Rest of that...I can't even make sense of so...best of luck in your future endeavors.

I think you're being a bit disingenuous regarding your players. Kapanen is not a top 6 but more of a middle six Pker and Petterson we literally traded away. He's not the same player sure but he's a #4 at best and makes 4 mill to boot. All these peices have value but don't have enough value by themselves to really start that conversation. It will start with a first or a high end prospect. If the deal does not have one of the then it's not really worth discussing. To be clear neither Kapnen or Petterson hold that value to the Ducks.

So, I'm being disingenuous in how I represent my players and let you are calling Kapanen a middle 6 PK'er despite NOT playing on the PK and getting top 6 time all year? Okay. And then at the same time labeling Pettersson as someone who was merely "traded away".

I mean...okay. We can simply agree to disagree. I'm not going to go any further as I need to seek medical attention for having choked on so much irony.

If either are traded, I'm coming back to thread to judge people.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I wouldn't be surprised if Buffalo still values him, and I assume he was part of any discussions when it came to an Eichel return. I think the team wants more skilled jam on the wings (numbers this year notwithstanding). Wonder if there'd be a match around Olofsson -- though I think you can argue both guys carry more value than the other when age, next contract, etc. are thrown into the equation.

Seems like a decent start to a trade negotiation. Might work for both teams.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
So by the exact same definitions, you can say that Comtois is now a middle 6 player. *roll eyes*

Rest of that...I can't even make sense of so...best of luck in your future endeavors.

So, I'm being disingenuous in how I represent my players and let you are calling Kapanen a middle 6 PK'er despite NOT playing on the PK and getting top 6 time all year? Okay. And then at the same time labeling Pettersson as someone who was merely "traded away".

I mean...okay. We can simply agree to disagree. I'm not going to go any further as I need to seek medical attention for having choked on so much irony.

Kapanen is three years older than Comtois and has 172 more NHL games under his belt. Kapanen at 25 likely has settled in as the player he's going to be, which is a middle six winger. Comtois at 21 led his NHL team in scoring and now at 22 is struggling quite badly - he's a wildcard at this point. They definitely should not be lumped into the same category.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

Sorry I'll dumb it down for you. Hallander isn't that good, Pettersson isn't that good and is expensive, late third means next to nothing, Kapanen isn't as bad but isn't as good as you think he is, and you also lied about his age.

Comtois just turned 23 and his career pace is around 40 points per 82 games despite his recent struggles. Around the same as Kapanen despite being three years younger. I don't care what you call him, clearly more valuable than Kapanen and that aspect of the deal I opposed the least. The rest was hot garbage.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017

Let it go dude, no one wants that offer.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Seems like a decent start to a trade negotiation. Might work for both teams.

If Rakell leaves, then Olofsson would fit into the Ducks line up at RW for Zegras. That'd be a pretty nice fit. Here's where the difference in value lies:

Olofsson is a middle of the line up winger with one elite trait: his shot. If healthy and on PP1, if he's on the right half wall and pucks are fed to him, he'll score 20-30 goals for the season. He's a RFA on this season hasn't been great for him, but he's got an oblique injury that's effecting his shot negatively. The down year could also help on contract negotiations for whoever owns his rights. He's also 27.

Comtois is 4 years younger with some development to go, as power wingers tend to take longer. He's had one good year but he's got a longer runway to keep getting better.

My non-expert trade value opinion is Comtois to Buffalo for Olofsson and 2022 3rd round pick.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Comtois+Lindholm
For
Zadina+Hronek+2nd

Am I way out to lunch on that premise?

I'm not sure about value since I'm terrible at that, but if there were a deal, I'd try work in something to have the option of swapping 1st round picks (at this point, it's 5 pick difference, probably wouldn't even be necessary with Ducks losing Lindholm and Detroit getting him).

Reactions: LazyT

LazyT

Feb 24, 2010
Michigan.
I thought hronek was ine of your top D?
He’s taken a slight step back this season in my opinion. With a lot of our prospects and young guys playing well I view him as a trade piece. Doesn’t fit the Yzerman mold of a defenseman.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Comtois+Lindholm
For
Zadina+Hronek+2nd

Am I way out to lunch on that premise?
Um I don’t think it’s awful… really depends on our management /scouts opinions of zadina and hronek

maybe make the 2nd turn into a 23 1st if lindholm is resigned and I’d be good with it, if redwings are trading for lindholm they are definitely resigning him

Reactions: LazyT

LazyT

Feb 24, 2010
Michigan.
Um I don’t think it’s awful… really depends on our management /scouts opinions of zadina and hronek

maybe make the 2nd turn into a 23 1st if lindholm is resigned and I’d be good with it, if redwings are trading for lindholm they are definitely resigning him
Would an additional second help at all? I know this isn’t nhl the video game and tacking on extra picks doesn’t do much. But as a Wings fan the idea of trading our first scares me

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Would an additional second help at all? I know this isn’t nhl the video game and tacking on extra picks doesn’t do much. But as a Wings fan the idea of trading our first scares me
I’d prob prefer the 1st…. I’m not sure the wings would be in danger of being bad in 23 with lindholm/comtois/ervidsson/vrana in the line up

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
If Rakell leaves, then Olofsson would fit into the Ducks line up at RW for Zegras. That'd be a pretty nice fit. Here's where the difference in value lies:

Olofsson is a middle of the line up winger with one elite trait: his shot. If healthy and on PP1, if he's on the right half wall and pucks are fed to him, he'll score 20-30 goals for the season. He's a RFA on this season hasn't been great for him, but he's got an oblique injury that's effecting his shot negatively. The down year could also help on contract negotiations for whoever owns his rights. He's also 27.

Comtois is 4 years younger with some development to go, as power wingers tend to take longer. He's had one good year but he's got a longer runway to keep getting better.

My non-expert trade value opinion is Comtois to Buffalo for Olofsson and 2022 3rd round pick.
I think Comtois completely falling off a cliff this season certainly represents risk for Buffalo (yes I'm aware of his age, but it is a concern). I think a one-for-one is fair, makes sense for both teams, and should be considered.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I think Comtois completely falling off a cliff this season certainly represents risk for Buffalo (yes I'm aware of his age, but it is a concern). I think a one-for-one is fair, makes sense for both teams, and should be considered.

There's definitely a risk, but Comtois has been injured (had to have surgery to remove a bone) this season too, then caught Covid as he was starting to look a little better after coming back. He has never really had the chance to get in the groove. He's looked a lot better the last couple of games and picked up a couple of assists. We'll see if he's coming out of his slump or it's just a small hot streak, but I'd rather see what he since he fits the timeline of the Ducks (should be in his mid-20's by the time they are ready to compete). This season is a write off for him, hopefully he finishes the season strong and comes to camp in shape like he did last year.

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad