Value of: Maxime Comtois

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Barron or Helleson from the Avs of intetest? Pretty sure MacKinnon and Bednar could get Comtois shooting more.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Kravtsov from the Rangers maybe?

Not really sure what other teams think of Kravtov.... but Rangers fans sure want to move him. I have a feeling his value might be a lot lower than what fans think... but I'm really not sure. I thought making him the main part of a DeBrusk trade might work if ANA wants to keep pushing for a playoff spot... but BOS may have other plans. Honestly I think this will happen at the draft.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Caufield For Comtois is something to really think about, But it's a hard sell to all habs Fan's because they love Caufield alot. I like Caufield also but I would really think hard about a trade like this.
is it really ? maybe if your smoking bad stuff or something

Reactions: Nico Cauzuki

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Habs fan: Would you trade your struggling young player for our struggling young player?

Ducks fan: No, you would have to give us your best prospect

Habs fan: But our best prospect might end up being really good

Ducks fan: How dare you judge a prospect on his potential

Other ducks fan: Yeah, Habs fans are the worst

So, if we aren't allowed to judge prospects based on potential I guess we'll set our sights on 3 points in 9 games Mason McTavish. Rem Pitlick is a little over 0.5 PPG this year, so if you guys throw in a pick that would be a solid trade.
you left out an important part of the equation:

potential of the struggling anaheim player >>> potential of the struggling montreal player

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I wouldn't be surprised if Buffalo still values him, and I assume he was part of any discussions when it came to an Eichel return. I think the team wants more skilled jam on the wings (numbers this year notwithstanding). Wonder if there'd be a match around Olofsson -- though I think you can argue both guys carry more value than the other when age, next contract, etc. are thrown into the equation.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'm going bold here:

Kasperi Kapanen + Marcus Pettersson + conditional 2023 2nd (If Lindholm does not resign, turns into a 3rd) + Filip Hallander
for
Maxime Comtois + Hampus Lindholm

Thoughts:
Kapanen and Comtois are both still young, budding players. I think Kapanen has certainly proven more in terms of capabilities but him and Comtois seem to have a similar issue of fit going on. Both are RFAs and of close enough age, however, in a vacuum, Kapanen is more valuable than Comtois. Leads to the next part...

Pettersson for Lindholm. This is under the premise that Lindholm does not intend to return to the Ducks. While Lindholm > Pettersson, Pettersson is a top 4 dman signed to a nice, longer-term contract at a good cap hit. He's right in the ballpark of the "right age" to mesh well with Anaheim's new core. Chances are, Ducks try to trade Lindholm and while they could certainly get a 1st+ for him, you hope that player turns into about what Pettersson currently is.

Ducks also get a good forward prospect and a conditional pick to add to the mix. This would bridge the gap in value from Pettersson to Lindholm.

Penguins slot Comtois in next to Malkin and have Lindholm available in case Letang doesn't resign.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I'm going bold here:

Kasperi Kapanen + Marcus Pettersson + conditional 2023 2nd (If Lindholm does not resign, turns into a 3rd) + Filip Hallander
for

Thoughts:
Kapanen and Comtois are both still young, budding players. I think Kapanen has certainly proven more in terms of capabilities but him and Comtois seem to have a similar issue of fit going on. Both are RFAs and of close enough age, however, in a vacuum, Kapanen is more valuable than Comtois. Leads to the next part...

Pettersson for Lindholm. This is under the premise that Lindholm does not intend to return to the Ducks. While Lindholm > Pettersson, Pettersson is a top 4 dman signed to a nice, longer-term contract at a good cap hit. He's right in the ballpark of the "right age" to mesh well with Anaheim's new core. Chances are, Ducks try to trade Lindholm and while they could certainly get a 1st+ for him, you hope that player turns into about what Pettersson currently is.

Ducks also get a good forward prospect and a conditional pick to add to the mix. This would bridge the gap in value from Pettersson to Lindholm.

Penguins slot Comtois in next to Malkin and have Lindholm available in case Letang doesn't resign.
Nah, I want a dollar not 4 quarters.

Reactions: 405Entrance

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I'm going bold here:

for

Thoughts:

If Ducks are going to trade both, I'd hope it's a 3 way deal for Chychrun. Lindholm to someone for 1st and prospect, flip the first and prospect (or replace with Zell) and add Comtois for him. Ducks have plenty of depth, if they lose Lindholm they lose one of their few high end pieces.

Reactions: bsu and DavidBL

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
I'm going bold here:

for

Thoughts:

That seems very light to me, even if one sees Lindholm as a pure rental and doesn't see Comtois becoming much more than he is

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If Ducks are going to trade both, I'd hope it's a 3 way deal for Chychrun. Lindholm to someone for 1st and prospect, flip the first and prospect (or replace with Zell) and add Comtois for him. Ducks have plenty of depth, if they lose Lindholm they lose one of their few high end pieces.

Fair.

That seems very light to me, even if one sees Lindholm as a pure rental and doesn't see Comtois becoming much more than he is

For debate sake, how is Kapanen for Comtois or Pettersson+Hallander+2nd for a UFA Lindholm considered light? When was the last time a UFA brought that back?

Last similar deal to reference could be McDonagh+JT Miller. That brought back:
Vladislav Namestnikov, Brett Howden, Libor Hájek, 2018 1st round pick, 2019 2nd round pick

Now Miller was a RFA and Miller had an extra year so...anyway, I think the values are similar. Certainly not "light".

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Fair.

For debate sake, how is Kapanen for Comtois or Pettersson+Hallander+2nd for a UFA Lindholm considered light? When was the last time a UFA brought that back?

Last similar deal to reference could be McDonagh+JT Miller. That brought back:
Vladislav Namestnikov, Brett Howden, Libor Hájek, 2018 1st round pick, 2019 2nd round pick

Now Miller was a RFA and Miller had an extra year so...anyway, I think the values are similar. Certainly not "light".

I think the major difference between our opinions is probably Pettersson. I find the frequent HF "they're a cap dump" rhetoric tedious, but I don't view Pettersson as a terribly valuable piece. I recognize he's a capable defenseman who probably gets underrated just because he's kinda a vanilla player. That said, I still think he's more of a 4/5 dman who is overpaid just a tad.

And bottom line, I think Anaheim could get a better package either together or seperately for these players.

Reactions: duckpuck

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I highly doubt that ANA would have much interest in taking Pettersson back... they traded him off for wishes when he wasn't making 4m a year

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I highly doubt that ANA would have much interest in taking Pettersson back... they traded him off for wishes when he wasn't making 4m a year

I don't think he has the same value now as he did 3.5 years ago. Come on now.

Reactions: 405Entrance

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I'm going bold here:

for

Thoughts:

Even if the collective value may not be terrible, I still believe it's pretty far removed from being attractive at all for Anaheim. It's too much of a "here's a bunch of stuff" type of offer, that would easily get beat out the second anyone else puts a higher end prospect on the table.

If the Ducks trade Lindholm for a pick or prospect, they are definitely hoping that they end up with a player who turns out to be better than Pettersson. Obviously it won't be any sort of guarantee, but they are much better off gambling on high ceiling prospects, rather than accepting a huge downgrade + other spare parts.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Even if the collective value may not be terrible, I still believe it's pretty far removed from being attractive at all for Anaheim. It's too much of a "here's a bunch of stuff" type of offer, that would easily get beat out the second anyone else puts a higher end prospect on the table.

If the Ducks trade Lindholm for a pick or prospect, they are definitely hoping that they end up with a player who turns out to be better than Pettersson. Obviously it won't be any sort of guarantee, but they are much better off gambling on high ceiling prospects, rather than accepting a huge downgrade + other spare parts.

I think that is the hope with all picks, no? What percentage of picks turn into a Top 4 dman?

In the same breath and logic, wouldn't Comtois be considered spare parts as well? I could easily say "Penguins give up two roster players - a top 6 wing and a top 4 dman, a pick and a prospect for a rental dman and spare parts".

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I think that is the hope with all picks, no? What percentage of picks turn into a Top 4 dman?

In the same breath and logic, wouldn't Comtois be considered spare parts as well? I could easily say "Penguins give up two roster players - a top 6 wing and a top 4 dman, a pick and a prospect for a rental dman and spare parts".

Compared to Lindholm, yes Comtois should also be considered a spare part. That's not to say that him or any of those pieces on the other side are devoid of value, but none of them are the type of young asset that would make for a fitting starting point.

The Ducks aren't hurting for depth. They don't need roster filler, or more guys who top out as good complimentary players. In this context where they are trading their best player, quality will undoubtedly win out over quantity. Nearly every contending team will be checking on the price to rent Lindholm, it's entirely ambitious to think you will get him without putting some sort of blue chip asset on the table.

It really is a classic HF offer where you stack B assets high enough until you can say the value is sufficient for a star player, but that doesn't make it attractive for the other side or realistically even close to the best offer they could get.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad