Matvei Michkov vs. Ivan Demidov; who will be better?

Who will be better?

• Total voters

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Did Michkov just have his contract bought out? It was never a real issue to begin with

The Flyers had no idea SKA would agree to any terms to terminate his contract as he had a 3-year deal with SKA. They most likely outcome was at least a 2 year wait, or a 3 year wait at most which was fine for the Flyers as they're a complete trash team now and will be for awhile. They got lucky or whatever negotiations went on behind closed doors with Briere and SKA worked, they don't really leak much info about it.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
The Flyers had no idea SKA would agree to any terms to terminate his contract as he had a 3-year deal with SKA. They most likely outcome was at least a 2 year wait, or a 3 year wait at most which was fine for the Flyers as they're a complete trash team now and will be for awhile. They got lucky or whatever negotiations went on behind closed doors with Briere and SKA worked, they don't really leak much info about it.
Yeah I know, this is all missing the point of my post anyway

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Going back about 35 years, based on scouting reports, I see Michkov more like Bure and Demidov more like Fedorov. Very Different players, but both potentially outstanding.

On the Other hand, on the crap scale they could be the next Yakupov and Galchenyuk.

As for the poll, I’m voting, who the hell knows.

Last edited:

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
If you're in a rebuild why not take best player available?
You'd think a team's objective would be to accumulate assets. You can always trade for need.

We do see Team drafting by need often. Take the 2024 draft. Every Right handed D got drafted in the top 10. GM put lot of value of big and skilled defenseman. We will see in the future. Kent is trying to build a championship club. Maybe, he saw a better cohesion with Reinbacher in it.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Did Demidov also have a 3 year KHL contract that he’d just signed ?
Absolutely irrelevant. If Michkov was as good as some believe he would not have been passed on by 5 teams. Habs would not have passed on him because of that or lack of viewings. There would be questions of character or ability (or they just felt Reinbacher was the better player).

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Absolutely irrelevant. If Michkov was as good as some believe he would not have been passed on by 5 teams. Habs would not have passed on him because of that or lack of viewings. There would be questions of character or ability (or they just felt Reinbacher was the better player).
Michkov went in a draft with 4 other elite forward options. Michkov getting picked behind Smith, Fantilli, and Carlsson is nowhere near as much of a bad look as Demidov going after Sennecke and Lindstrom.

I question MTL and Utah for going defense in a weak D class tho, especially with the following dclass coming up.

Ending up with any of Silayev, Dickinson, Parekh, Buium, or Yakemchuk would have been excellent, since reinbacher and simashev likely fall somehwere in the middle of that list.

Ending up with Iginla and Demidov over Michkov is very questionable

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
It’s actually incredible how hard Montreal fans try to group Demidov in with Michkov as a prospect, so much so that you have Habs fans coming to the Flyers board to tell us how good Demidov is, actually insane lol. They aren’t the same and you’ll see that in the upcoming years, there’s a reason Demidov went 5th the absolutely only reason Michkov didn’t go 2 is the 3 year wait deal. They are not equal as prospects, Michkovs done it against men in the KHL, meanwhile Demidov is doing well in the MHL where if Michkov was there he’d put up ungodly numbers, the cope is unreal from that fanbase. And you wonder why most fans root against you.
Habs fans are embarassing man its insane , i wanted both players so im at least happy they got one but the tribalism and pure biased takes from habs fans trying to pass it on as facts is pure insanity , i can't defend it. Michkov is a terrific prospect , can demidov be better in the NHL? Sure , just like anybody else in those drafts could leapfrog both of them in the NHL.

Michkov is the better prospect without a doubt. How they end up is another question but habs fans putting down michkovs accomplishments to bring demidov up as a prospect is nonsense

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Michkov went in a draft with 4 other elite forward options. Michkov getting picked behind Smith, Fantilli, and Carlsson is nowhere near as much of a bad look as Demidov going after Sennecke and Lindstrom.

I question MTL and Utah for going defense in a weak D class tho, especially with the following dclass coming up.

Ending up with any of Silayev, Dickinson, Parekh, Buium, or Yakemchuk would have been excellent, since reinbacher and simashev likely fall somehwere in the middle of that list.

Ending up with Iginla and Demidov over Michkov is very questionable
The bolded are LHD. Montreal not only really liked Reinbacher but he was also a RHD and that was a big organisation need - as many teams need.

As for the two others, Montreal wouldn’t have a need for strickly offensive RHD as Hutson already fill that role. The only D I would take above Reinbacher in this draft (For the Habs) would have been Levshunov and he would have been gone at 5 anyhow.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
The bolded are LHD. Montreal not only really liked Reinbacher but he was also a RHD and that was a big organisation need - as many teams need.

As for the two others, Montreal wouldn’t have a need for strickly offensive RHD as Hutson already fill that role. The only D I would take above Reinbacher in this draft (For the Habs) would have been Levshunov and he would have been gone at 5 anyhow.
Sounds like a team that should have picked Simon Nemec then.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Will see if Michkov is nearly as dynamic offensively in the NHL vs the KHL. We all know how hard it is to play in the NHl at the age of 18. I could be wrong. But I would still take Carlsson at 2. Skilled 6ft3 center are cery rare to find in the NHL. I'm not 100% sure with out his 3 years contract, if Michkov would have been drafted over Carlsson and Fantilli. GM do love big skilled center. It is the most important position in the league.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Will see if Michkov is nearly as dynamic offensively in the NHL vs the KHL. We all know how hard it is to play in the NHl at the age of 18. I could be wrong. But I would still take Carlsson at 2. Skilled 6ft3 center are cery rare to find in the NHL. I'm not 100% sure with out his 3 years contract, if Michkov would have been drafted over Carlsson and Fantilli. GM do love big skilled center. It is the most important position in the league.
For most of the year he was competing w Bedard for 1 st overall . Connor of course was always going to go 1 st but thats how his skill was viewed prior to his KHL extension. KHL scoring is actually lower than the NHL so I personally don’t expect a big regression there ( different scenario given age but Kucherov and Kap upped their pace immediately joining the NHL ) .

Reactions: HeadLiceHatty

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
For most of the year he was competing w Bedard for 1 st overall . Connor of course was always going to go 1 st but thats how his skill was viewed prior to his KHL extension. KHL scoring is actually lower than the NHL so I personally don’t expect a big regression there ( different scenario given age but Kucherov and Kap upped their pace immediately joining the NHL ) .

Michkov was absolutely not competing with Bedard for 1st overall. Bedard was the unanimous pick for 1st overall since before the season started.

Reactions: Habano

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Michkov was absolutely not competing with Bedard for 1st overall. Bedard was the unanimous pick for 1st overall since before the season started.
Did you miss the part where I said “ of course Connor was always going to go first “ ? Similar how media was trying to drum up debate w Mcdavid and Eichel draft . Connor was always the one but Eichel was viewed as a generational prospect as well ( didn’t turn out that way but hype was immense ) .

Reactions: rahad

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Did you miss the part where I said “ of course Connor was always going to go first “ ? Similar how media was trying to drum up debate w Mcdavid and Eichel draft . Connor was always the one but Eichel was viewed as a generational prospect as well ( didn’t turn out that way but hype was immense ) .
I wonder if Michkov will have a similar career as Eichel. Elite player but not generational like Bedard. i don't hate Michkov and I wanted the Habs to draft him in 2023. Kent has been very good GM for the Habs. He has down a great job rebuilding the club. I don't know what made them not draft him in 2023. I still believe he is building a championship team. We will see if Michkov end being his biggest mistake.

I just find the extremely high hype around him to be annoying. Especially when most of the people here have barely seen him play live. Is very hard to evaluate player coming from the KHL. You have player like Jordan Weal having 77pts in the KHL vs 15pts in the NHL (in 2020). Galchenyuk with 41 pts vs 21 in his last season in the NHL.

We will see how he play with the Flyers next season.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Saying “there’s a reason Demidov went 5th” while Michkov went 7th makes no sense no matter how you try to spin it lmfao
Not really lol.....

Michkov went 7th in a super deep draft BECAUSE of his 3 year contract and refusal to speak to other teams

Demidov went 5th in a weak draft without a contract. A draft in which the 1st overall player (Celebrini) would go 4th or 5th next to Leo Carlsson in the 23'

Demidov doesn't go top 10 in 23'

I wonder if Michkov will have a similar career as Eichel. Elite player but not generational like Bedard. i don't hate Michkov and I wanted the Habs to draft him in 2023. Kent has been very good GM for the Habs. He has down a great job rebuilding the club. I don't know what made them not draft him in 2023. I still believe he is building a championship team. We will see if Michkov end being his biggest mistake.

I just find the extremely high hype around him to be annoying. Especially when most of the people here have barely seen him play live. Is very hard to evaluate player coming from the KHL. You have player like Jordan Weal having 77pts in the KHL vs 15pts in the NHL (in 2020). Galchenyuk with 41 pts vs 21 in his last season in the NHL.

We will see how he play with the Flyers next season.
Michkov is very much generational and was always comparable to Bedard

This is a lie and a simple Google search would show you that. Michkov was 1st on many boards and was 1st on all boards D-2

• Haha
Reactions: Habano and rahad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad