Matvei Michkov vs. Ivan Demidov; who will be better?

Who will be better?

• Total voters

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Yes, for sure. Last year a interviewer speak about Michkov to a Habs scout and Habs scout respond:

"Do you have watched Demidov play?".

They are more high on Demidov than Michkov.

Yes they've always been high on Demidov, but it doesn't excuse passing on Michkov imo. They were very fortunate to end up with Demidov as they did. Worked out in the end, but they got lucky.

If it wasn't for a season ending injury 4 periods into the season to Dach, and Newhook missing a huge chunk of games due to his injury I doubt we're picking 5th.

Last edited:

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Pretty sure the habs would still take Demidov at 5 over Michkov if they were both in this past draft. Not saying it would be necessarily the right or wrong decision, but there's that. I wonder where Michkov goes in this draft opposed to 7th in last.

Does Anahiem still take Sennecke, CBJ Lindstrom, Chicago Levshunov? Would be interesting.
If there is no KHL contract he goes 2 nd both years. Montreal made the “ safe “ move instead of getting 2 potentially elite guys ( 1 likely a step above ) .

Reactions: HabbyGuy

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
If there is no KHL contract he goes 2 nd both years. Montreal made the “ safe “ move instead of getting 2 potentially elite guys ( 1 likely a step above ) .

I dunno, Chicago was going D no matter what I think, Anahiem is the one I think takes him, but if they don't I think he falls out of the top 5 again, incredulously as that sounds.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Yes they've always been high on Demidov, but it doesn't excuse passing on Michkov imo. They we're very fortunate to end up with Demidov as they did. Worked out in the end, but they got lucky.

If it wasn't for a season ending injury 4 periods into the season to Dach, and Newhook missing a huge chunk of games due to his injury I doubt we're picking 5th.

Maybe the truly and only reason is David Reinbacher. Who knows?!?! Michkov maybe going a superstar, but maybe not aswell. Reinbacher maybe going to be a only top 4 D or a very solid top pairing D like Seider or Dobson.

Me too I wanted Michkov last year, but maybe they are right, maybe they are wrong. But Flyers side also can be wrong. We don't really know the future!

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Maybe the truly and only reason is David Reinbacher. Who knows?!?! Michkov maybe going a superstar, but maybe not aswell. Reinbacher maybe going to be a only top 4 D or a very solid top pairing D like Seider or Dobson.

Me too I wanted Michkov last year, but maybe they are right, maybe they are wrong. But Flyers side also can be wrong. We don't really know the future!

Agreed, I'm very pleased the way it worked out for our habs!

Just sayin' without the benefit of hindsight I would have drafted Michkov last season.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
As a Leafs fan I’d take Demidov. Not even considering the Russian factor I always had Bedard better than Michkov when people were trying to argue Michkov is better. I guess we will wait and see but I see Michkov putting up Caufield numbers which isn’t terrible but not elite

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Agreed, I'm very pleased the way it worked out for our habs!

Just sayin' without the benefit of hindsight I would have drafted Michkov last season.

Yes, me too, I would drafted Michkov. But at this moment like you said, everything worked very well so far. Habs have a potential top RD in Reinbacher and a potential star//superstar with Demidov.

I think every Habs fan would be happy at draft day with Reinbacher if Michkov have not been there.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Pretty sure the habs would still take Demidov at 5 over Michkov if they were both in this past draft. Not saying it would be necessarily the right or wrong decision, but there's that. I wonder where Michkov goes in this draft opposed to 7th in last.

Does Anahiem still take Sennecke, CBJ Lindstrom, Chicago Levshunov? Would be interesting.
The organization didn’t like Michkov. We can’t change that fact.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
The Flyers néed to find a center to play with Michkov. That’s a huge issue. Suzuki could reach 90-95 pts. a season with Ivan and Slaf, if not more.

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
The Flyers néed to find a center to play with Michkov. That’s a huge issue. Suzuki could reach 90-95 pts. a season with Ivan and Slaf, if not more.
Michkov seems like one of those players that produces no matter who he plays with. We'll see if that continues into the NHL but some players just know how to get the puck into the net.

Reactions: HeadLiceHatty

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Demidov's 6'1 size suggests he'll have an easier time of his game translating to the NHL.
I also believe Demidov's compete level and motor is much higher than Michkov. Michkov is more talented but he's only 5'9 and I don't see his game translating as well as Demidovs.

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
As a Leafs fan I’d take Demidov. Not even considering the Russian factor I always had Bedard better than Michkov when people were trying to argue Michkov is better. I guess we will wait and see but I see Michkov putting up Caufield numbers which isn’t terrible but not elite
You realize both are Russian right ? He’s going to be much better than Caufield . More like Kaprizov

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Demidov's 6'1 size suggests he'll have an easier time of his game translating to the NHL.
I also believe Demidov's compete level and motor is much higher than Michkov. Michkov is more talented but he's only 5'9 and I don't see his game translating as well as Demidovs.
He’s incredible at getting to soft areas of the ice to set up his shot . He’s just a different calibre of offensive talent imo

Reactions: HeadLiceHatty

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
They’re both F’ing good. This poll is dumb, they weren’t both available the same year, to both teams.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Because he’s slightly larger or he’s a Hab ?

1.Almost 3 inches isn't slightly larger.
2. The copius scouting reports that state Michkov is bad defensively and Lacks effort on the defensive side of the puck where as Demidov has been quoted as being atleast okay defensively.

Long story short 3 inches taller + scouting reports saying he is expected to be a better two way player.

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
1.Almost 3 inches isn't slightly larger.
2. The copius scouting reports that state Michkov is bad defensively and Lacks effort on the defensive side of the puck where as Demidov has been quoted as being atleast okay defensively.

Long story short 3 inches taller + scouting reports saying he is expected to be a better two way player.
5 ‘10 176 vs 6’ 192 isn’t some giant divide . Where do these reports derive from ? Seems pretty well liked by teammates .

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1