Matvei Michkov vs. Ivan Demidov; who will be better?

Who will be better?

• Total voters

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
He was shipped to Sochi because his physical game wasn't up to par for SKA's expectations?
Don't tell me you actually believe that.

Let me guess, you also believe Demidov should've spent the entire year in the MHL too because he was totally not ready for at least VHL hockey after playing fantastic in KHL preseason!
I don't have an educated opinion about either situation. This is what SKA thinks and acted upon.
Is that you Rotenberg?
I wish I had that sorta cash

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Michkov has got to the one of the most underappreciated prospects I’ve ever seen. Just a couple years ago he was been talked about as being on a similar level as Bedard
Maybe not a popular take but I think Bédard is overrated at this stage. Loved him at the WJC and juniors. And he will be a great goal scorer. But really needs to round out his game. I see Michkov facing the same. Demidov has more dog in him than both

Reactions: Just Linda

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Michkov's skillset is far more translatable based on actual game play. I have no doubt that Demidov is talented but the way he was scoring in the MHL will not work in the NHL. There will be a transition time period where he will have to learn different ways to attack. Will he adapt? I dunno, Michkov's offensive hockey iq is so high its very translatable. Less about beating playeres one on one than Demidov.
In terms of translatable skills, Michkov is more perimeter than Demidov. Demidov goes to the center of the ice and corners. That drive will help. Michkov will need to combat more to reach that next level

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
You're just downright making stuff up. Rottenberg didn't like that Michkov was trying to get out of his contract, simple as that. Nothing was mentioned about his speed, if it were a problem for Michkov it would be a problem for Demidov as well. Both of are average speed.

So you don't watch hockey is what you're saying?
MHL is nowhere near USHL, it's a very very weak league.

Yeah, and it's weird how many times MHL based teams managed to beat CHLers, and on their ice...

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
In terms of translatable skills, Michkov is more perimeter than Demidov. Demidov goes to the center of the ice and corners. That drive will help. Michkov will need to combat more to reach that next level

Lol, have you even watched Michkov playing? I mean to call him a perimeter player is like calling Kucherov dumb...

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
Welcome to the internet, no matter where you go as long as there are multiple posters it's the same.
I don’t get it, both of these players are fantastic. To me it’s much more enjoyable to talk about hockey players from a standpoint of enjoying the players and the game rather than spending time trying to antagonize other fans. It doesn’t really bother me, it’s just a lot of scrolling trying to find the posts that are actually discussing hockey.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I don’t get it, both of these players are fantastic. To me it’s much more enjoyable to talk about hockey players from a standpoint of enjoying the players and the game rather than spending time trying to antagonize other fans. It doesn’t really bother me, it’s just a lot of scrolling trying to find the posts that are actually discussing hockey.
Nope 1 always needs to be better than another

Reactions: Xirik

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Maybe not a popular take but I think Bédard is overrated at this stage. Loved him at the WJC and juniors. And he will be a great goal scorer. But really needs to round out his game. I see Michkov facing the same. Demidov has more dog in him than both
Habs fan saying Demidov has the “dog” in him to prop up their prospect. Demidov is not even close to Michkov in terms of their level as a prospect and not in the same stratosphere as Bedard. Michkov has outperformed Demidov on every level of their development path, cope with saying Michkov is just a perimeter player lol, it’s just wild reading this stuff.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Incidentally — I’ve written about this before — I’ve actually spoken to someone very close to the matter and high up at SKA and they specifically cited Michkov’s speed and size as issues. I asked if the Habs made a mistake not picking Michkov and the person said he feels probably not because Michkov has to improve a lot in that domain.

Give it a rest.

I have spoken to a 20 year scout with a prominent NHL team, and he stated Michkov projects to have a MUCH higher ceiling than Demidov and it's not even close, and some of his colleagues think Michkov may be on par with Bedard.

NikolaTesla

Aug 2, 2009
I have spoken to a 20 year scout with a prominent NHL team, and he stated Michkov projects to have a MUCH higher ceiling than Demidov and it's not even close, and some of his colleagues think Michkov may be on par with Bedard.
Yeah sure a professional scout would say "and its not even close". Professional HFboard member maybe. Bullshit detected.

NikolaTesla

Aug 2, 2009
Habs fan saying Demidov has the “dog” in him to prop up their prospect. Demidov is not even close to Michkov in terms of their level as a prospect and not in the same stratosphere as Bedard. Michkov has outperformed Demidov on every level of their development path, cope with saying Michkov is just a perimeter player lol, it’s just wild reading this stuff.

Opinion automatically dismissed.

Reactions: Habano

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
What i'm telling you is simply fact.

Highest scoring players in the KHL were 89 then 79

NHL was 144,142,130 and 10 over 100.

I'm just presenting facts. NHL is much higher scoring league. Kucherov is NOT putting up 144 over there, not even close. KHL is just a more defensive oriented league.

Obviously the NHL is the best league in the world and the talent level isn't close, it's just a different product that doesn't translate well at all when you're just looking at points.

If that were the case you would have to say that the 15 best goalies in the world all play in the KHL due to their GAA and SV%

Well, first of all, the KHL play a maximum of 68 games, so you have to look at points per game when comparing player production in both leagues.

There were 5 players that paced at around 100 pts over 82 games in the KHL. One of them is Weal who produced at a 96 pts pace. Do you really think that Weal would come close to that number in the NHL if he was given a top line role?

Put McDavid, Mackinnon, Kucherov, Draisaitl, etc. in the KHL, and you'll have a lot more 100+ pts players there.

Kucherov may or may not score at a 144 pts pace over 82 games in the KHL, but if he doesn't its because he won't be playing with the elite linemates (Point, Stamkos, Hedman) he had in Tampa. Put those 4 in the same team in the KHL, and Kucherov easily eclipses a 144 pts pace.

In the case, of Michkov vs Bedard, neither had a good team or good linemates. So neither benefited from playing with good talent.

It is true that the KHL is more defensive than the NHL, but that doesn't make up for the fact that Michkov is by far more skilled than anyone else in the KHL. Bedard is very skilled, but the disparity between his talent and that of other NHL players is not as big. It's the reason why someone like Weal can put up big numbers in the KHL. His skill level is average to below average compared to NHL players, but it's high end compared to KHL players.

NikolaTesla

Aug 2, 2009
Oh no, I didn’t get the approval of a Montreal fan, heart broken. Keep dreaming he’s in the same tier. Good luck with that.
True, You don't need my approval to have a ridiculous opinion. If you don't realize how ridiculous it is to say "and its not even close" when comparing these two prospects then...

[MOD]

Reactions: Habano

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Michkov gets to the middle of the ice in mhl no problem. It's not the same thing. Michkov is really good at sliding into the quiet spots on the ice. They are nothing alike in how they create offense.

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Yeah sure a professional scout would say "and its not even close". Professional HFboard member maybe. Bullshit detected.
You realize that he was responding to someone who claims to have a high up SKA source that said Demidov is a much better prospect and that Michkov has attitude and skating issues right? If you’re gonna call out one call out both ..

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Montreal passing on Michkov is lunacy. Pure lunacy.
Watching Michov and Demidov on the same line during KHL preseason was a treat….. especially considering how young they were/are. Then they couldve traded for Gritsyuk too.
It seemed like lunacy at the time but . . . they ended up with Demidov and a likely first pairing right shot D who probably wound have been the second right shot D in this year’s draft, so in the end, and with the benefit of hindsight, they came through it fine. Lucky? Sure.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

NikolaTesla

Aug 2, 2009
You realize that he was responding to someone who claims to have a high up SKA source that said Demidov is a much better prospect and that Michkov has attitude and skating issues right? If you’re gonna call out one call out both ..
The attitude problem has been reported by multiple different source and it goes back to way before he was drafted. The skating issues though I never heard of. I can't call out someone on a fact I'm not informed of. I do can call out someone spewing "and its not even close" especially when referring to what a professional scout supposedly said because that is obviously bullshit. No sane scout would say that the level between these 2 prospects is "not even close".

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
It seemed like lunacy at the time but . . . they ended up with Demidov and a likely first pairing right shot D who probably wound have been the second right shot D in this year’s draft, so in the end, and with the benefit of hindsight, they came through it fine. Lucky? Sure.
What makes him a likely 1 st pairing d ? Draft pedigree ? Dress it up how you want they should’ve drafted Michkov

The attitude problem has been reported by multiple different source and it goes back to way before he was drafted. The skating issues though I never heard of. I can't call out someone on a fact I'm not informed of. I do can call out someone spewing "and it’s not even close" especially when referring to what a professional scout supposedly said because that is obviously bullshit. No sane scout would say that the level between these 2 prospects is "not even close".
Scouts vary on their opinions of players all the time . So while you might not agree w it , anyone can freely state their opinion . Now I’m not saying his story is true but I can see some scouts preferring one pretty clearly over the other .

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Pretty sure the habs would still take Demidov at 5 over Michkov if they were both in this past draft. Not saying it would be necessarily the right or wrong decision, but there's that. I wonder where Michkov goes in this draft opposed to 7th in last.

Does Anahiem still take Sennecke, CBJ Lindstrom, Chicago Levshunov? Would be interesting.

• Wow
Reactions: ViD

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Pretty sure the habs would still take Demidov at 5 over Michkov if they wwere both in this past draft. Nt saying it would be necessarily the right or wrong decision, but there's that. I wonder where Michkov goes in this draft opposed to 7th in last.

Yes, for sure. Last year a interviewer speak about Michkov to a Habs scout and Habs scout respond:

"Do you have watched Demidov play?".

They are more high on Demidov than Michkov.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad