Proposal: Matthews [TOR] for Laine + Trouba [WIN]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Toronto would be foolish to pass this up honestly

I get the big shiny penny 1C allure, but adding Laine and Trouba does wayyyy more to make Toronto a solid, well rounded team to build around

Lets say you pencil in Matthews as an 80 pt center or close annually

If you pencil in Laine for lets say 60 pts ish annually power forward (which I think is fair at the moment) but you get a solid top 4D on top of it, which would you rather have?

I think I would concede the 20 pts and add a top 4D

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Oh super. Some more trade Matthews threads.

As has been explained many many times Matthews value to the Leafs is greater than that of just a player. He's the consolation prize for a rebuild, a face they can build the team around as the 1st overall draft pick and the first franchise center we have had since Sundin. No conceivable package of players will be valued the same in that the value coming back would have to far exceed Matthews value even more so than this.

In fact I would say that Winnipeg does not have the pieces that it would require to trade for Matthews. Not when taking into account all the points from above.

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
Funny, this was the first proposal I thought of after the lottery was picked.

Value is fair, Winnipeg begs for this though, Jets are a contender with once Matthews reaches franchise C in his development.

Laine, is a winger so his value < Matthews, Trouba is lost in the shuffle given Peg's depth on right side.

The challenge of finding a franchise C > the sum value of Laine + Trouba that in a vacuum are greater than Auston.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The difference between Matthews and Laine is absolutely positively 100% NOT Trouba. It is preposterous to think so.

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
Toronto takes this and runs out of the room. Flip Laine for an equivalent C, even a bit worse and you make out like bandits. What's their other 1RD option?

WPG should never touch this, especially with Scheifele-Little down the middle

I would wait until he's signed a contract before we say he's a 6+M dollar man, I'd DEFINITELY hold out until he signs before being a sarcastic ****.

Right, lol. Trouba is holding out this long to sign a sweetheart deal. He's made his intentions clear, besides 6+ was just a number. Doesn't matter if it's 5, 5.5 or 6.

And who is this "equal value C" the Leafs are trading Laine for? Someone making league minimum?

It doesn't work. At all.

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
Winnipeg says not a chance. In the end to all these discussions Toronto and Winnipeg are not good trading partners.

I'm not sure really (from a jets perspective) what I would want or need from Toronto. I'm sure thier fans would say the same.

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
Toronto would be foolish to pass this up honestly

I get the big shiny penny 1C allure, but adding Laine and Trouba does wayyyy more to make Toronto a solid, well rounded team to build around

Lets say you pencil in Matthews as an 80 pt center or close annually

If you pencil in Laine for lets say 60 pts ish annually power forward (which I think is fair at the moment) but you get a solid top 4D on top of it, which would you rather have?

I think I would concede the 20 pts and add a top 4D

Until you make the playoffs and get eaten alive with match ups at center, scoring gets tight and wingers play a marginal role, i.e. Ovechkin's career.

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
Laine will fizzle out quick...blame everyone else but himself; than bolt back overseas and only brought up on "blunder" prospect lists /Brendl2.0

I think it's the same chance that Mathews says no way Toronto it's Arizona or bust. Both just as likely

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Toronto takes this and runs out of the room. Flip Laine for an equivalent C, even a bit worse and you make out like bandits. What's their other 1RD option?

WPG should never touch this, especially with Scheifele-Little down the middle

Right.
I'm drawing a blank so can you put a list of teenage centers with his upside together that would be on the move? just 4 or 5 will do and just to make it really easy they don't even need to be heading into the 1st year of ELC, some of the equivalent centers with 1 year gone can be included.

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

Right, lol. Trouba is holding out this long to sign a sweetheart deal. He's made his intentions clear, besides 6+ was just a number. Doesn't matter if it's 5, 5.5 or 6.

And who is this "equal value C" the Leafs are trading Laine for? Someone making league minimum?

It doesn't work. At all.

you wouldn't take Trouba on a long term deal at 5M? make the salaries work, send Michalek the other way.

equal value C, say a team strong at centre that sees Laine as future Ovi. e.g Reinhart, Draisaitl, Bennett, etc.

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

Right.
I'm drawing a blank so can you put a list of teenage centers with his upside together that would be on the move? just 4 or 5 will do and just to make it really easy they don't even need to be heading into the 1st year of ELC, some of the equivalent centers with 1 year gone can be included.

and if not, are Nylander and Marner not centres?

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Until you make the playoffs and get eaten alive with match ups at center, scoring gets tight and wingers play a marginal role, i.e. Ovechkin's career.

I 100% agree, but defense still wins you championships

Having the bona fide top 4D is the big caveat here. Yes Matthews is a big upgrade over a power winger, but rock solid D trumps all if you are still rocking a solid forward lineup that can give you goals

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
and if not, are Nylander and Marner not centres?

So Toronto wants to trade the 1st center in a decade with Matthews potential for another high end winger when they have 2 already? Then move one of them to center and hope it works out. And if it doesn't work out maybe another Matthews calibre center comes their way in 10-15 years, if they're lucky.
It just wasn't a practical idea.

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
I 100% agree, but defense still wins you championships

Having the bona fide top 4D is the big caveat here. Yes Matthews is a big upgrade over a power winger, but rock solid D trumps all if you are still rocking a solid forward lineup that can give you goals

Scarcity of resource, 1C vs 2D?

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015

But lets not forget that Chicago won the cup in 2013 (and nearly in 2014 again in that titanic matchup 7 game series vs LAK) with Michal Handzus as a 2C and two wonky knees

A well rounded lineup can hide center depth deficiencies

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
3204840swsw.gif

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
But lets not forget that Chicago won the cup in 2013 (and nearly in 2014 again vs that titanic matchup 7 game series vs LAK) with Michal Handzus as a 2C and two wonky knees

A well rounded lineup can hide center depth deficiencies

But Toews is a 1c and Matthews projects to be the same?

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Obv stupid proposal but to even the value out

Laine
Trouba

for

Rielly
Matthews

That is proper value

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
you wouldn't take Trouba on a long term deal at 5M? make the salaries work, send Michalek the other way.

equal value C, say a team strong at centre that sees Laine as future Ovi. e.g Reinhart, Draisaitl, Bennett, etc.

I'd take Trouba at 5, but now the Jets are taking on Michalek? Jeez, quit digging.

Do you really value Reinhart, Drai etc. as equal value to that of Laine?

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

List of 4-5 please. Post links that they are available too.

weirdly this is a site of hypotheticals, not every idea has been based around GMs stating that they're going to trade their star players

boy it takes a special team's fans to be this offended this quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad