Proposal: Matthews [TOR] for Laine + Trouba [WIN]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

I'd take Trouba at 5, but now the Jets are taking on Michalek? Jeez, quit digging.

Do you really value Reinhart, Drai etc. as equal value to that of Laine?

it's hfboards, I swear if I go through your posts and one single idea is based in "what if?" land not "this GM has explicitly stated this" world then I will be shocked. I wouldn't say they are in different stratospheres, BUF/CGY/EDM could add if they think Laine will be as good as hf thinks

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
TML should do this trade then Help Edmonton out and in doing so keep them away from those high picks .

Laine + Trouba for Matthews

Laine and Trouba to Edmonton for RNH , Nurse , 2017 1st , 2018 1st and one prospect not name Pulju , Bear or Laine

Joking of course . TML will keep their big 2 way C that will be a godsend to the team for many years . Just need your GM to get his head out of his ass and pay the kid his bonus

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Zaitsev probably. Or literally anyone else than having to pay Trouba 6+ million/year.

Do people just forget there is a cap?

Toronto has almost $4.8 million before they even put Horton's $5.3 million on LTIR. Over $10 million in cap space right now.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Right, lol. Trouba is holding out this long to sign a sweetheart deal. He's made his intentions clear, besides 6+ was just a number. Doesn't matter if it's 5, 5.5 or 6.

And who is this "equal value C" the Leafs are trading Laine for? Someone making league minimum?

It doesn't work. At all.

Oh, so in other words you have no inside information. Sounds very credible, almost as credible as those who suggest Matthews wants out of Toronto because he hasn't signed his ELC yet.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
So Toronto wants to trade the 1st center in a decade with Matthews potential for another high end winger when they have 2 already? Then move one of them to center and hope it works out. And if it doesn't work out maybe another Matthews calibre center comes their way in 10-15 years, if they're lucky.
It just wasn't a practical idea.

Funny. Before you guys won Matthews you guys were telling everyone Marner and Nylander were franchise centermen.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Right, lol. Trouba is holding out this long to sign a sweetheart deal. He's made his intentions clear, besides 6+ was just a number. Doesn't matter if it's 5, 5.5 or 6.

And who is this "equal value C" the Leafs are trading Laine for? Someone making league minimum?

It doesn't work. At all.

Yeah, an RFA with the ability to negotiate dollars and term not signed by July 18th = holdout. (Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, etc etc etc).

A 1OA not signing a strict entry level contract with the only deviation being middling bonuses = no big deal guys, all the time in the world!

:shakehead

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
But Toews is a 1c and Matthews projects to be the same?

You are correct and I hear your point. But Chicago also had seabrook, kane, keith, hossa, hjalmarsson etc

Matthews is a nice comparison and player to Toews in a vacuum, but does TOR have all that comparable roster depth to round out a championship team?

Chicago doesnt win a championship without Toews, but Toews doesnt win any championships without guys like Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Hossa, Hjalmarsson, and hell, to a lesser extent Bickell (2013 version)

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
Yeah, an RFA with the ability to negotiate dollars and term not signed by July 18th = holdout. (Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, etc etc etc).

A 1OA not signing a strict entry level contract with the only deviation being middling bonuses = no big deal guys, all the time in the world!

:shakehead

Please tell me what you think Trouba will sign for. Any "insider" has claimed the number to be astronomical.

Nobody is signing a sweetheart deal to stay in Winnipeg. Most of all, Trouba.

Care to make a wager? I'll take 6/year, you take 4. Closest wins.

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
You are correct and I hear your point. But Chicago also had seabrook, kane, keith, hossa, hjalmarsson etc

Matthews is a nice comparison and player to Toews in a vacuum, but does TOR have all that comparable roster depth to round out a championship team?

Chicago doesnt win a championship without Toews, but Toews doesnt win any championships without guys like Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Hossa, Hjalmarsson, and hell, to a lesser extent Bickell (2013 version)

Absolutely not, that's why I pray for Liljegren every night ;)

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
it's hfboards, I swear if I go through your posts and one single idea is based in "what if?" land not "this GM has explicitly stated this" world then I will be shocked. I wouldn't say they are in different stratospheres, BUF/CGY/EDM could add if they think Laine will be as good as hf thinks

You're right, this is HFBoards, not NHL16.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Toronto would win this trade in value, but should reject it in terms of building their team. They need that #1 center.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
No thanks. If Toronto had a young #1C in place already, then it's certainly something to consider, but even then 2-way goal scoring centres like Auston don't exactly grow on trees.

Not so high on Trouba. There hasn't been much progression there

Last edited:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Anyone not bleeding Maple Leaf blue and white understands that Matthews does NOT hold that kind of value.

He does to the Leafs. And that is all that matters. Elite franchise altering #1c's are the rarest of breeds, and the Leafs need that and would never, ever consider trading that for a winger....even with the Trouba addition. Makes zero sense for them. They can wait or try to draft a D this year if they get bottom 3 again.

And a huge LOL shoutout to those saying Laine is better. He may not even be the best Finn in the draft. The WJC MVP says hi. And if you add up the goals scored by Laine and Matthews in the WJC and World Championships, you will notice that Laine scored a grand total of (1) one more goal total than Matthews over those 2 tournaments, while playing on much stronger teams with far more support playing a much easier position.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Um I think leafs take this one

Probably would be very tempted but I disagree, we really need a true number 1 C.

I think they do too but they would also need a separate trade to get a #1 centre to minimize any fan backlash.

That is a video game mindset.
If the Leafs could acquire Duchene this offseason as well, preferably back to back they would close the first trade FO SHUR

Last edited by a moderator:

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
If Toronto was really trying to move Matthews I think they would be better off approaching Arizona. He would have maximum value there. Maybe Arizona puts a package together including OEL ,Domi ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad