Proposal: Matthews (TML) for Barkov (FLA) + 2026 1st

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
in fantasy Matthews is above Barkov and I think everyone here would draft Matthews over Barkov,

BUT fantasy is regular season only and Barkov is on a better contract just won the cup. I just doesnt make sense for Florida but I think realistically it would be assumed the add would come from Florida's side

Matthews should be in a higher tier than Barkov. I just dont think it matters all that much.... obviously not Florida just won the cup

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Is it really that lopsided suggestion?

it's obviously never going to happen, if you want to compare Matthews and Barkov just make a poll. Or maybe get over this thing with comparing Matthews and Finnish players that has been going on since he was a prospect lol

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You consider someone who has never scored 40 goals and only surpassed 90 points once to be in the same tier as a guy who has twice scored 60 or more goals and twice exceeded 100 points? Seriously???

Barkov has scored 88 points in 67 games and has a career high of 96

For the best defensive forward in the league that’s insane

+ He just had Conn Smythe level Cup run, so yeah they are in the same tier

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019
I give Matthews the edge but they are way closer than you seem to think. Despite only hitting 90 points once (6 years ago) Barkov has paced 90+ points in 4 of the last 5 seasons and 100+ in one of them. That's what happens when you miss 10-15 games a season. Also the fact that Barkov is the hands down best 2-way player in the league closes the gap quite a lot too
As I learned in every Matthews thread, pace doesn't count.

Yes.

If I want to win a scoring title, I'll take Matthews. If I want to win a cup, I'll take Barkov.
Until this year Barkov's playoffs were meh.

• Haha
Reactions: Laus723

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Yes.

If I want to win a scoring title, I'll take Matthews. If I want to win a cup, I'll take Barkov.
Nah, that's crazy talk. Matthew's defensive game is very underrated and his offensive game is a level above. FLA likely wins more convincingly with Matthews instead of Barkov imo. Florida was just such a complete team this season.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
it's obviously never going to happen, if you want to compare Matthews and Barkov just make a poll. Or maybe get over this thing with comparing Matthews and Finnish players that has been going on since he was a prospect lol
Not comparing them, since I think Matthews holds more value.

How many Matthews vs. finnish player polls have I made? Not saying I haven't made any, but I can't remember off the top of my head any.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
in fantasy Matthews is above Barkov and I think everyone here would draft Matthews over Barkov,

BUT fantasy is regular season only and Barkov is on a better contract just won the cup. I just doesnt make sense for Florida but I think realistically it would be assumed the add would come from Florida's side

Matthews should be in a higher tier than Barkov. I just dont think it matters all that much.... obviously not Florida just won the cup
adding the first is too much

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
adding the first is too much
fantasy wise I wouldnt make that trade.
image.png

but real life u might be right, cap savings prob be enough.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Nah, that's crazy talk. Matthew's defensive game is very underrated and his offensive game is a level above. FLA likely wins more convincingly with Matthews instead of Barkov imo. Florida was just such a complete team this season.

Matthews has never been asked to play Barkovs role and has never been as dominant in the postseason as Barkov was

But yes let’s act like Florida would have been even more dominant with Matthews just because..
Atleast not based on history

Last edited:

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Matthews has never asked to play Barkovs role and has never been as dominant in the postseason as Barkov was

But yes let’s act like Florida would have been even more dominant with Matthews just because..
Atleast not based on history
don't ya know?!?!? Florida could have been as dominant as the Leafs if they had Matthews and 3.25 less in cap space. Same applies if they had Marner...or Nylander....or Tavares. All superstar leaders.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
You consider someone who has never scored 40 goals and only surpassed 90 points once to be in the same tier as a guy who has twice scored 60 or more goals and twice exceeded 100 points? Seriously???
yes.

The extra points that Matthews gets is cancelled out by the massively better defensive play and cheaper cap hit.

If I could have the choice of the two right now on my team id pick Barkov....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad