Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] D Oliver Ekman-Larsson signs with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $3.5M AAV)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Success of signing depends on which OEL the Leafs get. The Vancouver buy out version or the Florida rehabilitated version. Zito valued him at 2.25M for 1 year. As we know Zito is one sharp cookie. If he didn't extend him, he probably had a good reason. Calculated gamble here.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Success of signing depends on which OEL the Leafs get. The Vancouver buy out version or the Florida rehabilitated version. Zito valued him at 2.25M for 1 year. As we know Zito is one sharp cookie. If he didn't extend him, he probably had a good reason. Calculated gamble here.
I’d say he wasn’t really a possible investment from Florida anyways. They’re already against the cap as it is with Reinhart and Lundell signings. Bennett, Verhaeghe and Ekblad all need contracts next season, so they’ll be in tight next summer as well.

I wouldn’t say it’s as much a calculated gamble as it is a no-brainer. OEL, while a solid contributor, is not a core player, and if Florida is going to continue competing they can’t give mid range AAV and term to anyone outside the core right now.

Toronto, meanwhile, did not have a choice other than invest in D. I’m okay with this move but it makes me uneasy. I was impressed with OEL in the playoffs but you are right, success depends on which version of him we get.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
He didn't extend him because OEL priced himself out with his great play.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I’d say he wasn’t really a possible investment from Florida anyways. They’re already against the cap as it is with Reinhart and Lundell signings. Bennett, Verhaeghe and Ekblad all need contracts next season, so they’ll be in tight next summer as well.

I wouldn’t say it’s as much a calculated gamble as it is a no-brainer. OEL, while a solid contributor, is not a core player, and if Florida is going to continue competing they can’t give mid range AAV and term to anyone outside the core right now.

Toronto, meanwhile, did not have a choice other than invest in D. I’m okay with this move but it makes me uneasy. I was impressed with OEL in the playoffs but you are right, success depends on which version of him we get.
Zito is sharp, he looks for efficiencies when he got OEL who was a buy out in Vancouver. This is what makes him such a great GM. The thing about Florida that I am leary about if I were to trade with them, when players go there, they always seem to improve and vice versa like in the Huberdeau case. Really remarkable, how players they acquire always seem to flourish. For this to work for Toronto, they need to put OEL in a similar position. He played well in Florida, and can't blame him for cashing in, he was even more physical than I recall him from his Arizona days. But I agree and hear, you, I would be uneasy. In my case since he is coming off a Stanley cup and from a team where players always look good after moving there.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
It depends how much they lean on him. If they depend on him to be a top 3 guy, then yes he'll quickly become a target for the Toronto fans and media.

Rielly, Tanev and McCabe are definitely the Leafs top 3 guys. I could see OEL being 4th in TOI because of PP time. 5v5 I'm thinking Rielly-Tanev deployed as a top pair and McCabe-Benoit and OEL-Liljegren fairly close in minutes, as things stand.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He didn't extend him because OEL priced himself out with his great play.
He sure didn't take a Kulikov type deal. Zito probably made him an offer to take one for the team if he wanted to return to defend the cup. OEL already has made a lot of money in this league. He obviously chose money. Some play for a Cup, some play for money. I am not going to condemn a man if money is the bigger incentive.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Rielly, Tanev and McCabe are definitely the Leafs top 3 guys. I could see OEL being 4th in TOI because of PP time. 5v5 I'm thinking Rielly-Tanev deployed as a top pair and McCabe-Benoit and OEL-Liljegren with similar minutes, as things stand.
Good, then there should be no issues with OEL there then.

He sure didn't take a Kulikov type deal. Zito probably made him an offer to take one for the team if he wanted to return to defend the cup. OEL already has made a lot of money in this league. He obviously chose money. Some play for a Cup, some play for money. I am not going to condemn a man if money is the bigger incentive.
I don't begrudge OEL one bit, he played great for us. Both parties benefitted, Panthers won the Cup and OEL rejuvenated his career and won a Cup.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Some people just want to play in different markets.

Who says if it was money or market, OEL went where he thought was best for his career.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I've been one that has refrained from shitting on Treliving, but the term of this and the Tanev deal are bad. I know people are saying they'll LTIR them, but given the compete level of Tanev especially, I don't think that will happen.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Good defenceman once he got through those injured hips

I still find it funny how Benning pursued this cat TWICE.
So what when he massively overpaid in the trade that was way less than what he offered them a season before

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It's easy to laugh at Toronto, and maybe the OEL/Tanev deals aren't the smartest contract offers they've ever made, but they addressed a need. They are better with these two guys than without. As a bruins fan, I hope the infighting amongst Toronto fans starts immediately regarding their roster, but even I'll admit they are a better team today. On paper anyway.
To be fair we’ve heard the claim that they’re a better team on paper for the last 5 years at least. In crunch time their biggest issue is scoring from the core 4 and if anything the forward group looks a little worse than prior years groups.

My biggest issues with the Tanev signing is the length of the contract and the fact that he’s going to be asked to play top pairing minutes. At his age he’s a better fit on the second pair where his body can likely handle the lower minutes.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
It depends how much they lean on him. If they depend on him to be a top 3 guy, then yes he'll quickly become a target for the Toronto fans and media.
Canucks fans can confirm this.

We called him the walking corpse.

I’m surprised he was given a 4 year deal.

Leafs fans gonna be screaming at their tv sets watching him play.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Canucks fans can confirm this.

We called him the walking corpse.

I’m surprised he was given a 4 year deal.

Leafs fans gonna be screaming at their tv sets watching him play.
Well, he was good in Florida, but yes if he's leaned on too much, the fans will be frustrated. Our ideal lineup had him playing on the 3rd pair with Kulikov, and getting pp2 time.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
The only problem I had with the OEL signing was he is more of a #5 and the leafs need a true minutes eating #3/#4 to go up against the other teams top 6. Having 6.5 m tied up in Lilly/OEL is worrisome. But as one poster mentioned, if the leafs use Liljegren + prospects to trade for a minutes eating #3/#4, then 3.5 m for OEL to be a bottom pair D starts to make a lot more sense IMO.

RIelly - Tanev
McCabe - Elite #3
OEL--Hakanpaa/Benoit

Or Liljegren him selves takes the step into becoming a #4.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
The only problem I had with the OEL signing was he is more of a #5 and the leafs need a true minutes eating #3/#4 to go up against the other teams top 6. Having 6.5 m tied up in Lilly/OEL is worrisome. But as one poster mentioned, if the leafs use Liljegren + prospects to trade for a minutes eating #3/#4, then 3.5 m for OEL to be a bottom pair D starts to make a lot more sense IMO.

RIelly - Tanev
McCabe - Elite #3
OEL--Hakanpaa/Benoit

Or Liljegren him selves takes the step into becoming a #4.

There’s two fundamental problems here. Firstly the leafs have been horrible in drafting and developing defensemen. Outside of Rielly and before him Tomas Kaberle they have produced nothing from the farm system. In some cases like Anton Stralman or Sean Durzi they were simply impatient and traded them away before they fully developed.

Secondly Toronto has started to have some difficulty in attracting the best free agents in the market. It’s complicated but the Toronto media and bright spotlight are definitely factors. Not all players like a big stage. Taxes are another issue especially for American players.

So given the moribund farm system and reluctance of some free agents to sign with the leafs they have to take some swings on players who are higher risk. OEL is probably hit or miss. No question he’s on the downside of his career but considering that he was a former top pairing D man in Arizona he should be able to help on a third pairing. He’s definitely an upgrade over TJ Brodie and Giordano. He was an important piece for Florida in their cup run.

Liljegren has shown flashes and has gotten better over time. He could easily step into a top 4 role next season especially with a Tanev injury. The leafs desperately need defensive help so the idea of trading Liljegren for a bottom six forward is just laughable. In fact it’s more likely they trade a Robertson for another Liljegren type player.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
With the right system and supporting cast, OEL is good as a 4/5.

His environment was terrible in both Arizona and Vancouver. It's no surprise he was able to bounce back in Florida with how strong that organization has become on and off the ice.

4 years is a bit much, though, given he'll be 33 when the season starts. Skating wise his best days are behind him already.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
There’s two fundamental problems here. Firstly the leafs have been horrible in drafting and developing defensemen. Outside of Rielly and before him Tomas Kaberle they have produced nothing from the farm system. In some cases like Anton Stralman or Sean Durzi they were simply impatient and traded them away before they fully developed.

Secondly Toronto has started to have some difficulty in attracting the best free agents in the market. It’s complicated but the Toronto media and bright spotlight are definitely factors. Not all players like a big stage. Taxes are another issue especially for American players.

So given the moribund farm system and reluctance of some free agents to sign with the leafs they have to take some swings on players who are higher risk. OEL is probably hit or miss. No question he’s on the downside of his career but considering that he was a former top pairing D man in Arizona he should be able to help on a third pairing. He’s definitely an upgrade over TJ Brodie and Giordano. He was an important piece for Florida in their cup run.

Liljegren has shown flashes and has gotten better over time. He could easily step into a top 4 role next season especially with a Tanev injury. The leafs desperately need defensive help so the idea of trading Liljegren for a bottom six forward is just laughable. In fact it’s more likely they trade a Robertson for another Liljegren type player.
Who said trade Liljegren for a bottom 6 forward? I said trade Liljegren for a top 4 d-man.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The Leafs would’ve been big winners for these moves about 10 years ago.
Both are still really good players. The east is wide open this year, they have to go for it. Florida and Carolina are not gonna be as good. These are exactly the type of d men they needed to add to win right now. I hate the leafs but am not a blind hater like hf. Some of these posts ripping this signing are embarrassing. Did any of you watch the playoffs?

Florida had no cap space.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad