Matthews,Marner,Woll vs Stutzle,Tkachuk,Ullmark

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who has the better trio Toronto or Ottawa?

• Matthews,Marner,Woll

Votes: 100 79.4%
  • Stutzle,Tkachuk,Ullmark

Votes: 26 20.6%

• Total voters

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
Matthews > Stützle
Marner < Tkachuk
Woll < Ullmark

1. Matthews
2. Stützle
3. Tkachuk
4. Marner
5. Ullmark
6. Woll

But I could easily see why someone would rank Marner above of Tkachuk, which would change the outcome in Toronto's favor.

Last edited:
Reactions: bert

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
So healthy Stu is worse than healthy Matthews and Injured Stu is worse than injured Matthews.

Healthy Stu is maybe marginally better offensively than injured Matthews but he also still finished in the top 15 in Selke voting during his down season (Stutzle 0 votes, his teammate had Giroux one 5th place vote).
I think we can take votes from the non-objective Hockey Mecca media body with a grain of salt here.

And like the other poster said... Stu is five years younger!

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
I think we can take votes from the non-objective Hockey Mecca media body with a grain of salt here.

And like the other poster said... Stu is five years younger!
Ah yes, the Toronto Hockey media that has forced Leafs players to win all the major trophies with their bias.

Who was the last Selke winner for Toronto again?
Stutzle was 20 and 21 years old in the seasons you are talking about.
And he is 22 now. This thread is "Matthews Marner and Woll vs Stu, Tkachuk and Ullmark who is the better trio" not "Will prime Stutzle be as good as Matthews?" or "How do Stutzle's 20 and 21 year old seasons compare to Matthews'?"

The threadline I was replying to was about how Stutzle's best season to date lined up with Matthews injured season and "what if that happens again?"
Nothing happens, Matthews was still better than Stutzle in that season as an overall player and again helped his team make the playoffs, which he has never missed.
Healthy Stu finished ahead of injured Matthews while he was still on his ELC.
Yes, what do you believe this is adding that wasn't already known?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
And he is 22 now. This thread is "Matthews Marner and Woll vs Stu, Tkachuk and Ullmark who is the better trio" not "Will prime Stutzle be as good as Matthews?" or "How do Stutzle's 20 and 21 year old seasons compare to Matthews'?"

You said "Healthy Stu is maybe marginally better offensively than injured Matthews"

You are making a statement as if age wouldn't matter, hence why I specified it to you. Unless you think players peak at 20-21?

It seems that Matthews entered his prime around 23-24 y/o so we don't have the empirical evidence necessary to properly compare yet...

The threadline I was replying to was about how Stutzle's best season to date lined up with Matthews injured season and "what if that happens again?" Nothing happens, Matthews was still better than Stutzle in that season as an overall player and again helped his team make the playoffs, which he has never missed.

Which is still impossible to compare as Stutzle most likely hasn't entered his prime yet. Unless Stutzle doesn't have this privilege like many players had? (Matthews, Nylander, MacKinnon to name a few)

Nothing happens, Matthews was still better than Stutzle in that season as an overall player and again helped his team make the playoffs, which he has never missed.

Toronto did not make the playoffs in 2020

Last edited:

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019
Ah yes, the Toronto Hockey media that has forced Leafs players to win all the major trophies with their bias.

Who was the last Selke winner for Toronto again?

The threadline I was replying to was about how Stutzle's best season to date lined up with Matthews injured season and "what if that happens again?"

Yes, what do you believe this is adding that wasn't already known?
Stutzle has had a higher ppg than Matthews worst ppg season (his rookie year) once. He will improve but he will never be as good as Matthews. Even less so if he starts to play a more all around game.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
You said "Healthy Stu is maybe marginally better offensively than injured Matthews"

You are making a statement as if age wouldn't matter, hence why I specified it to you. Unless you think players peak at 20-21?

It seems that Matthews entered his prime around 23-24 y/o so we don't have the empirical evidence necessary to properly compare yet...

Right but I'm comparing who they are right now and Stutzle might be in his prime, before his prime or even played the best hockey he ever will, we don't know. Barzals best offensive season was his rookie season and it took him another 5 seasons to get back to a PPG, Hyman was a consistent player through what would be considered his prime and suddenly had his best offensive seasons in his 30s.

There are no set paths for players best years but there is pretty blatant evidence that today Matthews is better at hockey than Stutzle in almost every way.

Which is still impossible to compare as Stutzle most likely hasn't entered his prime yet. Unless Stutzle doesn't have this privilege like many players had? (Matthews, Nylander, MacKinnon to name a few) by

Most likely is before his prime, sure. Is this year going to be his prime then? If so, I'm sure most of the hockey world would still pick AM34 coming off a 69 goal season over a potential 1C coming off a 70 point season.

How many seasons until he is better than Auston?
Toronto did not make the playoffs in 2020
Weird, I see maple leafs players with games played and statistics for the playoffs in 2020 but when I look at the Ottawa Senators, who missed the playoffs, I still don't see any playoff statistics.

Maybe because one team played playoff games and the other one couldn't even get into the playoffs with the help of a worldwide pandemic extending the amount of playoff teams.

But you're probably right, this is the Senators year to finally make the playoffs and hopefully play against Toronto in the first round. God knows we need the free pass, which is what your favourite franchise has always been to us.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Stutzle has had a higher ppg than Matthews worst ppg season (his rookie year) once. He will improve but he will never be as good as Matthews. Even less so if he starts to play a more all around game.

That’s indeed bold. Stützle has a ton of potential. It would not be surprising if he’s also an elite player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad