Prospect Info: Matthew Tkachuk or PL Dubois (Round 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
If Virtanen showed an ounce of progress like most prospects do I wouldn't be disappointed. But he turned around and had a **** draft+1 year. Horvat, an actual reach, made progress and at least showed there was a lot more to him. Nino Niederrieter, who I see 1 dude commonly throw around as to what Virtanen can be, improved. By the time the NHL season ended Virtanen was the same wondering player he started as in October.

If you want me to believe in Virtanen regardless of Ehlers and Nylander's obvious superiority he has to actually get better. Something he hasn't managed to do in the 2 years since being drafted.

You haven't really watched the kid play after the world juniors. The way he can affect a game, especially at his age is quite impressive to say the least but I don't think casual observers like yourself really understand the game. Give him a few years before you get back on your soapbox and call him a bust.

JA

On the topic of Virtanen . . .

I have just completed a highlight package featuring all of Jake Virtanen's 2015-16 rookie highlights:

Enjoy.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Pretty sure the fear around these parts is our management team could complicate a stick.

Presuming the Big 3 are gone and one of Dubois or Tkachuk are there when we pick it's pretty simple...you take the one that remains.

Don't get fancy. And don't trade the 5th, because Benning won't win that trade.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Pretty sure the fear around these parts is our management team could complicate a stick.

Presuming the Big 3 are gone and one of Dubois or Tkachuk are there when we pick it's pretty simple...you take the one that remains.

This. I am not overly worried as long as we hang on to the 5th pick. It is the trade-down that worries me. Benning's pro scouting as well as what he prioritizes in pro players he has acquired has been extremely poor for a team in our position. This team can't afford to downgrade an "A prospect" for a Markus Granlund piece and a B prospect. At some point this team needs to acquire some actual quality and not just build up depth on our 3rd and 4th lines over and over again.

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
On the topic of Virtanen . . .

I have just completed a highlight package featuring all of Jake Virtanen's 2015-16 rookie highlights:

Enjoy.

Watching that really gets you excited to see what he can do next year with more experience and better linemates.

I think a line of Lucic-Sutter-Virtanen could be really fun to watch

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
If Puljujarvi falls to #5, we take him and run. I think the Blue Jackets trade the pick before reaching for Dubois over Puljujarvi.

The only thing that scares me more that trading down is trading up. I know they want a centre and should have been more specific in my question. Does Edmonton take Tkchuck either way ?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

It's Cox so probably means nothing, but there's been a bit of Tkachuk-Oilers buzz recently.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
That's the right choice for Edmonton. I'm not going to like seeing Tkachuk on their team, but he absolutely will be a stud there. I've always had this weird little soft spot for the Oilers, and I'd sure as hell rather have the Oilers get Tkachuk than the Flames.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Becoming pretty apparent that the Oilers are either going to deal the fourth pick for immediate help on the blue-line, or failing that, will draft Tkachuk to play with McDavid....looking more and more like Dubois by default at #5.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
That's the right choice for Edmonton. I'm not going to like seeing Tkachuk on their team, but he absolutely will be a stud there. I've always had this weird little soft spot for the Oilers, and I'd sure as hell rather have the Oilers get Tkachuk than the Flames.

Yeah. It really does make a ton of sense for Edmonton. Tkachuk playing on McDavid's wing for years is going to make him a real nemesis for the Canucks and the fans. His skillset is tailor made for playing with that kind of high skill puck possessing player...and he gets under people's skin on top of it.

Assuming that leaves Dubois for us though, that's not so bad.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

topheavyhookjaw

Sep 7, 2008
Yeah. It really does make a ton of sense for Edmonton. Tkachuk playing on McDavid's wing for years is going to make him a real nemesis for the Canucks and the fans. His skillset is tailor made for playing with that kind of high skill puck possessing player...and he gets under people's skin on top of it.

Assuming that leaves Dubois for us though, that's not so bad.

Yeah it definitely seems like a best case scenario for both teams fit wise (although if I'm EDM it's not like Dubois on McDavid's left side looks bad to me...). If I was betting, it's the likeliest outcome in my view.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Watching that really gets you excited to see what he can do next year with more experience and better linemates.

I think a line of Lucic-Sutter-Virtanen could be really fun to watch

I don't want Lucic's brutally oversized ego anywhere near Virtanen.

Back on topic, either Dubois or Tkachuk will be a great addition long term and both would fit how Benning and Co want to build the team. Would prefer Dubois as he has the #1 Center potential.

Kmode

Nov 3, 2006
I'm sure it's been mentioned so far, but it's not going to be our choice, it will be whichever one is not taken at 4.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I'm sure it's been mentioned so far, but it's not going to be our choice, it will be whichever one is not taken at 4.

Literally no one is unaware of that. It's still interesting to discuss who we like better.

Tv9924

Sep 16, 2012
Surrey, BC
The biggest worry for me is Benning going with Brown over Tkachuk. We know that when Benning wants something, he gets it; no matter the price. I'm worried he's so dead set on acquiring a center that he'll take the obviously inferior playe,r just because of their positions.

Please Edmonton, do us all a favour and take Tkachuk.

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
Any link to our roster or management decisions over the last 2 Years should suffice.

Fair enough. Ok, so the last reference I found where Benning is quoted on analytics, whether it's an accurate quote or not, was after the Gudbranson trade.

http://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/willes-canucks-couldnt-care-less-about-analytics-when-it-comes-to-gudbranson

“To be quite honest, I don’t get it sometimes,†said the Canucks GM. “There’s a place for analytics. We use analytics. But you use analytics like vitamins — to help you out, not as your staple.

Maybe it's just me but while he doesn't appear to swear by them, I interpret this as they use analytics without solely basing decisions on them which clearly looks like nowhere near most on here would appreciate.

But hey, maybe he was misquoted and doesn't care about them. Who knows.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
it actually sounds like he's a ******* that doesn't understand their application at all, tbh

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
it actually sounds like he's a ******* that doesn't understand their application at all, tbh

Really? It sounds to me like they use analytics without solely basing decisions on them. You don't agree with his position as reported, that's fine, but how many teams do you think base player moves entirely on analytics versus using a balanced approach?

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Ladies and gentlemen, there is no point in debating these two. Why do you ask? Because Logan Brown is better. #BenningsVision

One report of the Canucks meeting and liking Logan Brown and doing their job by interviewing and scouting ALL the top players and people get ants in their pants and start crying chicken little or making stupid jokes in which the premise of them has been over done.

JA

A combination of Jesse Puljujärvi and Jake Virtanen would be unbelievable. The speed, size, and tendencies of those two players would make them a dynamic duo, in my opinion. Puljujärvi is the right kind of player for Virtanen -- a playmaker with great puck-rushing ability, speed, work ethic, and a hard shot. Virtanen and P.L. Dubois would be a good tandem as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad