Prospect Info: Matthew Tkachuk or PL Dubois (Round 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
If you only look at his numbers he is ahead of most 1st overalls.

yeah, and then look at Clayton Kellers numbers and try and figure out why he's not in the conversation for 5th. he is exactly what this team needs IMO....

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I find that hard to believe. If anything, I think Benning's comments about having a D-man in mind at 5 was to encourage the Oilers to take one at 4 and not trade down with someone who may scoop whoever Benning prefers between Tkachuk and Dubois.

It's one of those two or bust....or better be.

When has Benning ever said public comments to try and play mind games with other GM's? Just an actual honest question.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
It'll be pretty interesting to see how much this centre buzz translates to the actual draft floor. After Matthews the centre ice position is pretty wide-open, and there's buzz about Brown and Keller going higher than anticipated by a lot of draft predictions. Weird about Edmonton, but I guess if they trade RNH for defensive help Brown might fit. We can't really mess this up.

The Brown hype is real.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
It'll be pretty interesting to see how much this centre buzz translates to the actual draft floor. After Matthews the centre ice position is pretty wide-open, and there's buzz about Brown and Keller going higher than anticipated by a lot of draft predictions. Weird about Edmonton, but I guess if they trade RNH for defensive help Brown might fit. We can't really mess this up.

The Brown hype is real.

I can't believe that until the draft is over. They couldn't screw up having two quality assets at the trade deadline either, but this management group pulled it off.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
yeah, and then look at Clayton Kellers numbers and try and figure out why he's not in the conversation for 5th. he is exactly what this team needs IMO....

His size comes into play, it's a huge risk when you are drafting a 5'9 player

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
More talented wingers than a converted Draisatl? No, I don't think so. That may be what scouts are envisioning: Push Draisaitl to wing, left or right, then trade the surplus of Eberle, Yakupov and/or RNH to fill needs. Top 2 centres are McDavid and Brown. Top Wingers are Draisaitl and Hall.

It depends upon how much they trade from their winger depth to fill needs on defense. Draisaitl can be permanently converted to wing. Nothing set in stone with him.

Or you move Draisaitl to right wing and have Tkachuk in the left side of Mcjesus and you keep RNH for the second line centre with Hall and who ever and have the rest of the forwards available for trade (Ebs and Yak) or keep Ebs and you have 2 solid lines.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

It is a huge risk, and he has other question marks as well. But I don't think Brown and his size are any less of a question mark. It is just as much of a challenge being 6'6". Neither you can point to as be a sure thing. Rather stick with Dubios.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
It is a huge risk, and he has other question marks as well. But I don't think Brown and his size are any less of a question mark. It is just as much of a challenge being 6'6". Neither you can point to as be a sure thing. Rather stick with Dubios.

That's not really true. With the same skillset being 6'6 is a hell of a lot better than being 5'9. Assuming all else is equal.

There are questions with being that being, but they are usually around mobility. I don't know enough about to know if these issues are present, but it is easy to see them if they are. The questions that come with small size are usually not answered until they play against men in the NHL.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Let's just keep it simple: Dubois or Tkachuk. Zero reason for the Canucks to consider anyone else.

Boose Brudreau

Nov 27, 2006

he's an inch shorter than mitch marner...... and almost exactly the same size as patrick kane was when he was drafted. His offensive skill set is as high as anyone in this draft....IMO. If we're looking for an injection of extremely high end offensive talent, he's as good a bet as any.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

McKenzie mentioned Keller and Brown when he said he heard CBJ was thinking of other players at third overall. I think these two guys will go higher than expected because they're high-ceiling centres. Though I've read some stuff that hints Keller might end up a winger in the NHL.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
That's not really true. With the same skillset being 6'6 is a hell of a lot better than being 5'9. Assuming all else is equal.

There are questions with being that being, but they are usually around mobility. I don't know enough about to know if these issues are present, but it is easy to see them if they are. The questions that come with small size are usually not answered until they play against men in the NHL.

It's not that simple though. There is a reason why there is not a lot more 6'6" skill players in the league. It is so much harder to be so. It is a lot harder to have the same hand eye, even having a quick stick when your stick is so much longer is more difficult. You look at the top skilled guys, and they are all in the middle of the two. Both will have hard times transitioning to the next level, for opposite reasons.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
It's not that simple though. There is a reason why there is not a lot more 6'6" skill players in the league. It is so much harder to be so. It is a lot harder to have the same hand eye, even having a quick stick when your stick is so much longer is more difficult. You look at the top skilled guys, and they are all in the middle of the two. Both will have hard times transitioning to the next level, for opposite reasons.

The sample size is small because there isn't many 6'6 players

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
The sample size is small because there isn't many 6'6 players

Thats not true at all. Chara, Finley, Boyle, Sustr, Myers, Scott, Oleksiak, MacIntyre, Bjustad, Antropov, are all players over 6'6". how many skill guys on that list? Come good guys for sure. You could list more too that didn't make it. Just like I am sure there is a list of smaller guys that could be the same.

The point is being out of the normal range makes it hard going both ways. Both players will have a hard time, but its not impossible.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012

That's why I said if all else is equal. Both have natural disadvatantages, as I stated being that big it is harder to be as quick as someone much smaller, but they often have issues being able to fight through men much bigger than them.

There is legitimate concerns about skilled players under 5'10. It is a good story when guys like St. Louis and Zucarello make it big, but for every one of them there are 20 guys as skilled or near as skilled that don't.

Keller is listed at 5'10, Marner 5'11 and Kane 5'11. I don't know him well enough and haven't watched him at all to think size will or won't be an issue. And it's not like he's 5'7 or 5'8, but size concerns are real.

Boose Brudreau

Nov 27, 2006

Keller's NTDP team played a dozen or so games against US college teams in 15/16....he didn't have any trouble putting up points (only Boeser's team held him off the score sheet).

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Keller's NTDP team played a dozen or so games against US college teams in 15/16....he didn't have any trouble putting up points (only Boeser's team held him off the score sheet).

Which are still nothing compared to men in the NHL.

GreetingsFromCanada

Mar 19, 2016
BC
From Friedman's 30 thoughts

6. Some rumblings the Canucks prefer Logan Brown. At this time of year, I refer to the Isiah Thomas rule. As a young reporter, he said to me, “Around the draft, everyone lies.â€

There is a connection, however, that would provide Vancouver good intel on Brown. Logan’s father, Jeff, coached the USHL Indiana Ice when director of amateur scouting Judd Brackett was the Ice’s head scout two years ago.

I swear to god if we take Brown in the top 10, I'm going to stop supporting this team until Benning is gone

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
What's people just disregarding some pretty big achievements?

I'm not disregarding anything. I don't know enough about Keller to judge him. I am just stating my feelings on small players, and concerns about their size are real. I haven't watched him play a single game, so I an not going to judge him at all.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Thats not true at all. Chara, Finley, Boyle, Sustr, Myers, Scott, Oleksiak, MacIntyre, Bjustad, Antropov, are all players over 6'6". how many skill guys on that list? Come good guys for sure. You could list more too that didn't make it. Just like I am sure there is a list of smaller guys that could be the same.

The point is being out of the normal range makes it hard going both ways. Both players will have a hard time, but its not impossible.

How many of those guys were projected with Brown's ceiling in the first place though?

I mean nice list but only Antropov and Bjugstad were even drafted in the top 30. That tells me their height wasn't the problem, it's that their skill wasn't good enough to begin with.

Brown, while not my choice for #5, doesn't belong in the same conversation as any of those guys. Or should I use a 7th round pick like Brandon Reid to illustrate why Keller is a risk? It doesn't make sense to use guys that simply aren't any good to begin with as examples of why height matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad