Speculation: Matthew Tkachuk MEGA Thread (informs Flames he will not sign long term)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Underwhelming but I expect something along

Jake Neighbors, Marco Scandella, first round pick for Tkachuk.

• Haha
Reactions: bsu

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
Mercer + Holtz + 1st
Mercer isn’t available also the Cap says hello.

I think the devils would need to include Severson in the offer or trade him elsewhere for futures. Devils can then include those in a deal with Calgary. Johnsson can also be included for cap purposes.

Ideally the devils can get a late first or so for Severson. Add their own protected first (maybe top 5ish), Holtz, Johnsson and any other prospect not named Nemec or Hughes. That would be the max I would go if I’m NJ.

Chief Leaf

Dec 10, 2009
That’s brutal for Toronto lol I’d love a Tk for Nylander swap but that’s waaay too much.
I feel the oppositie knowing Holl and Sandin are replaced by Tanev and Z who have a pretty sizeable cap hit but supply that old school backend grit so it changes/adds that playoff grind/grit like and losing robertson is meh for me and same with Kerfoot. The draft picks are just that and when I look at our window with Matthews and Marner,..I feel the propsal is good in my eyes.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
bro, hell no

For an extended Tkachuk? Easily. The issue comes with the contracts, but that's a type of deal Calgary is going to be looking for with an young NHLer with a ton of control + prospect + pick. Maybe Fitz dangles Nemec but I doubt it with his RHD moves and Nemec is probably needed with Severson on the way out. Bratt wouldn't work because of the PTSD Calgary will have dealing with Gaudreau + Tkachuk this offseason. Buffalo is the only other team that would make sense with this type of deal with maybe someone like Cozens + one of their recent first rounders + 1st.

Mercer isn’t available also the Cap says hello.

I think the devils would need to include Severson in the offer or trade him elsewhere for futures. Devils can then include those in a deal with Calgary. Johnsson can also be included for cap purposes.

Ideally the devils can get a late first or so for Severson. Add their own protected first (maybe top 5ish), Holtz, Johnsson and any other prospect not named Nemec or Hughes. That would be the max I would go if I’m NJ.

Calgary is gonna laugh off you off the phone on that.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
For an extended Tkachuk? Easily. The issue comes with the contracts, but that's a type of deal Calgary is going to be looking for with an young NHLer with a ton of control + prospect + pick. Maybe Fitz dangles Nemec but I doubt it with his RHD moves and Nemec is probably needed with Severson on the way out. Bratt wouldn't work because of the PTSD Calgary will have dealing with Gaudreau + Tkachuk this offseason. Buffalo is the only other team that would make sense with this type of deal with maybe someone like Cozens + one of their recent first rounders + 1st.

if he gets traded, the Flames will be lucky to get 75% of that value.

I am not trading Mercer in any Tkachuk deal. Hes cost controlled for another 5-6 years.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
if he gets traded, the Flames will be lucky to get 75% of that value.

I am not trading Mercer in any Tkachuk deal. Hes cost controlled for another 5-6 years.

I mean what would your package be then? I doubt they'd want Bratt or Severson in this situation or else they would've been in the deal I made up too, lol.

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013

Calgary is gonna laugh off you off the phone on that.
Calgary had their chance to get a major piece two weeks ago and declined.

The price has undoubtedly gone down. With that said I don’t think 2 firsts, Holtz and another top prospect is a laughable offer. If it’s not enough or someone can beat it I would like to see it.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Whats the ask from Anaheim? Matthew next to Zegras playing against Doughty sounds fun.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I Would trade Bratt + a top 3-5 protected 1st for (extended) Tkachuk

I'm not sure how much more past that they could realistically get value wise tbh

Yeah I mean anywhere he goes would be under the assumption he's extended, I would do that package too if CGY wanted Bratt but seeing them reject Kyrou +1st even with a possible cap dump of Krug makes me think they're weary of anyone close to the UFA age relatively soon.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
No they didn’t lol. They speculated “hmm, NJ is willing to move the 2OA and Calgary has the contract situation Tkachuck. Could that be a base for a deal?”

No one reputable reported that the Devils actually offered 2OA for Tkachuck.

Garrioch did

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Can someone explain the incentive of either sides from Tkachuk and Ottawa for me? I’m having a hard time digesting the motives either side.

If Ottawa was confident enough that Tkachuk would sign a long term extension that they would send a boatload of futures and value to acquire him, why would they not just wait until free agency?

If Tkachuk really wanted to come to Ottawa, why would he gut the franchise he was going to if he had the option to just sign a 1-year deal and sign there as a free agent?

If we lose out on him and he gets signed and traded great, he’s not a piece we are dying to add. He’s a great addition to ANY team, just not THE piece we should bend over backwards to acquire at the cost, especially if we can just sign him in a year. If he doesn’t agree to sign with us during his free agency, why would he agree to a sign and trade to us this year?

Maybe I’m being obtuse but Tkachuk doesn’t really make sense to me.
Seriously though. They are brothers, not pokemon. We don't need the whole set or whatever. Tkachuk probably costs us Stutzle and fills a position we don't need.

Besides, we just ordered the Dorion statue for all his hard work. We really gonna try and return that thing?

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Necas Jarvis Morrow Gardiner (cap) 2023 1st for Tkachuck and a 2024 4th
Jarvis is a deal breaker for me and I don't see myself trading him even for Tkachuk. While Morrow would sting quite a bit, and I'd prefer we trade another prospect over him (probably including Drury), I think I'd be willing to trade him as part of that package minus Jarvis. If the loss of Jarvis for the trade means it's not enough for Calgary, I'd throw in a 2nd round pick, or maybe even another 1st, but I'd really prefer not to add another 1st.

LevelingSolo

Jan 15, 2012
Will Sutter be on the move as well?

Serious question as I know he came to Calgary with the intent on winning, which will no doubt be difficult without Matthew TK and Johnny H

Reactions: Rockmorton

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
There's gonna be a lot of dumb teams that will overpay for Tkachuk because he's

A) Big

B) Plays a game everyone thinks is good for the playoffs despite having a pretty garbage playoff history himself.

The only thing limiting it would be Tkachuk ability to block trades by refusing to sign extensions with certain teams.

Edit: The 2016 looks pretty weird doesn't it? The 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th, 9th, 10th and 11th overall picks are all either no longer with the team that drafted them or will be leaving their teams this season. Looks like a pretty bad draft in hindsight.

Last edited:

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
You really think he wants to go to a team where his younger brother, the one who's head he used to stick in the toilet, is the team captain?

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Glad I'm not a flames fan
39c40eecf2a8b1bce815432034ed9074574c7150.gifv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad