Proposal: Matthew Tkachuk for Elias Pettersson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Trade based on the assumption that Tkachuk will have agreed to a long term contract extension acceptable to the Canucks. Assume said extension will be in the $9-10m AAV range for 7 or 8 years.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Yes... Perfectly understandable. You're doing so well with the ones you have.
Yes let's trade one of our top centres for a winger when we already have Boeser, Garland, Miller and Hoglander as our top 6 guys. That will solve all our problems brilliant. Thanks for taking Canucks needs in consideration before proposing this. By the way whose our two top centres after this Horvat and Dickinson good god. Try again this doesn't work.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
It's an interesting proposal. Doesn't take into account the Canucks needs at all, but from a value standpoint it's interesting. I still think EP bounces back. He's got to change how he plays a bit and start moving more without the puck though. He's too static without it offensively and it makes him an easy check right now. When he's at his best he's a franchise player though.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Wonder what Calgary does this off-season.

Tkachuk’s QO is 9M so he’s getting that at the minimum.

Gaudreau is a having a hell of a season. 22 points in 19 games. If Tkachuk is getting 9, I don’t see Gaudreau signing for less.

If Tkachuk is getting 9, what is Mangiapane going to ask for? He has 15 goals in 19 games and the same amount of points as Tkachuk. If he continues at this pace, he’ll get at least 6.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
A winger never gets an equivalent center
Right now, is it equivalent? EP has a problem. Not sure if it can be fixed.
Chucky is Chucky. Intangibles. Currently has 8 goals and 7 assists which would make him the Canucks leading goal scorer.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

Gaudreau is a having a hell of a season. 22 points in 19 games. If Tkachuk is getting 9, I don’t see Gaudreau signing for less.

If Tkachuk is getting 9, what is Mangiapane going to ask for? He has 15 goals in 19 games and the same amount of points as Tkachuk. If he continues at this pace, he’ll get at least 6.

I think the Flames do need to do something at LW. You're right. I see Mangiapane landing somewhere between 6.5 and 7.5 per. Seems high, but he's doing what he is doing from the 2nd line and 2nd PP unit. He's also a very high end defensive winger.

Tkachuk is the player I'd move. I really do like a lot of what he brings. He's elite from the top of the circles in. He's elite at getting pucks out of our end. He's elite at drawing penalties. He's a horrific skater though. He doesn't drive play. He needs a driver like Backlund, Gaudreau, Mangiapane or Lindholm to play with to be effective. I wouldn't move him just to move him, but if I found a full value offer I'd move him.

Gaudreau is our offensive engine. He is very underrated in terms of the backcheck and stripping pucks. He is very poor getting pucks out when they come up his wall, but he drives the offense and we have no one else who really does that except for Mangiapane at a lesser level. I do think the number will be lower than 9M though. I think 7.8 to 8.5 per will be the number.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC

That is one problem that I wouldn't want. Three great players and they will get paid but that's allocating a lot of cap to wingers. You gotta think only one of Gaudreau or Tkachuk will be on team next season.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
I think the Flames do need to do something at LW. You're right. I see Mangiapane landing somewhere between 6.5 and 7.5 per. Seems high, but he's doing what he is doing from the 2nd line and 2nd PP unit. He's also a very high end defensive winger.

Tkachuk is the player I'd move. I really do like a lot of what he brings. He's elite from the top of the circles in. He's elite at getting pucks out of our end. He's elite at drawing penalties. He's a horrific skater though. He doesn't drive play. He needs a driver like Backlund, Gaudreau, Mangiapane or Lindholm to play with to be effective. I wouldn't move him just to move him, but if I found a full value offer I'd move him.

Gaudreau is our offensive engine. He is very underrated in terms of the backcheck and stripping pucks. He is very poor getting pucks out when they come up his wall, but he drives the offense and we have no one else who really does that except for Mangiapane at a lesser level. I do think the number will be lower than 9M though. I think 7.8 to 8.5 per will be the number.
I'd love to have Tkachuk in Montreal. I wish we drafted his brother.

If the Habs pick ends up at 5th/6th overall, I'd move it in a package for Matthew. There's not many guys like him in the league. It'd also be fun to have him on a line with Gally. Chirps all night.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

If the Habs pick ends up at 5th/6th overall, I'd move it in a package for Matthew. There's not many guys like him in the league. It'd also be fun to have him on a line with Gally. Chirps all night.
I'd need a RHS wing in the deal. Ideally Toffoli. That and the pick for Tkachuk and a 2nd is a deal I'd do in the offseason.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal

We have no cap space

Tkachuk would sign a 1 year deal and leave

We should rebuild

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Yes... Perfectly understandable. You're doing so well with the ones you have.

Makes a proposal in post #1. Receives a brief but polite response explaining why trade doesn’t work for one team in post #2. Takes a sarcastic shot in post #3.

Great work.

Tkachuk is a great player, but top 6 wingers are not the thing the Canucks are missing the most.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Makes a proposal in post #1. Receives a brief but polite response explaining why trade doesn’t work for one team in post #2. Takes a sarcastic shot in post #3.

Great work.

Tkachuk is a great player, but top 6 wingers are not the thing the Canucks are missing the most.
And what do you expect when you say... No thanks. We're great on wingers already? No you're not. The Canucks are a dumpster fire with no compete level and the team needs a serious shake up.
EP is playing like shit and if you think someone is going to trade an elite center for him... dream on. Tkachuk is a franchise player who absolutely hates to lose and if anyone can make a difference to the losing culture on the Canucks its him

Last edited:
Reactions: Duckhugs

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Trade based on the assumption that Tkachuk will have agreed to a long term contract extension acceptable to the Canucks. Assume said extension will be in the $9-10m AAV range for 7 or 8 years.

Good avatar for this thread . Crash and burn . If I am the Canucks I don't touch this .

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
And what do you expect when you say... no thanks. We are doing just fine with the wingers we have? The Canucks are a dumpster fire with no compete level and the team needs a serious shake up.
EP is playing like shit and if you think someone is going to trade an elite center for him... dream on. Tkachuk is a franchise player who absolutely hates to lose and if anyone can make a difference to the losing culture on the Canucks its him

Dude - who are you even arguing with about the bolded? I haven't made a trade proposal. I'm calling out the fact that you crapped on the tone of discussion in this thread right out the gate and are clearly here to exorcise some angst. You can do better than this.

On topic: the Canucks will not be redeemed with a trade like this, regardless of how much a single player hates to lose. There's a rot off ice that needs to be addressed first. Edit: Trading EP40 when his value is low is reactionary. And I doubt Calgary even makes this move.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
And what do you expect when you say... no thanks. We are doing just fine with the wingers we have? The Canucks are a dumpster fire with no compete level and the team needs a serious shake up.

Good thing development isn't......you know.... linear....

When has anyone said we have to get an elite center? Most of us aren't stupid enough to believe that this bad stretch isn't some sort of development anomaly given you know, that he has shown what he can do and won a calder because of it.

You made a post and Canucks fans are saying no and now your throwing a temper tantrum, relax bud.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Right now, is it equivalent? EP has a problem. Not sure if it can be fixed.
Chucky is Chucky. Intangibles. Currently has 8 goals and 7 assists which would make him the Canucks leading goal scorer.
you're so correct, a player that has elite offensive production in their first 3 seasons but suffered an injury that kept him out of over half of last year and missed training camp might never bounce back. McKinnon, PLD, Nylander, young talented players never have down seasons. Finally if Petey might not be able to be fixed, why make a proposal for him? Quite clearly you want the elite C, but when your proposal is turned down suddenly EP has a problem. Stay classy Rubi

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Why would Calgary do this? One of these guys is playing well on a team this is also playing well. He’s a talented and agitating power forward that’s in a role that’s pretty hard to find/fill in today’s NHL.

The other guy is playing terrible on a terrible team.

I assume the OP is a Flames fan but I don’t get your thesis on this offer. Sure looks like a trade Calgary loses.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
you mean the way MT has single handedly pulled the Flames into Stanley cup contention. His 5 points in 15 playoff games over 3 seasons and 3 first round exits screams winning culture.
Canucks are a dumpster fire absolutely - trading an elite C for an elite winger isn't the solution.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ledge And Dairy

Flames will likely gile for arbitration to avoid the QO then sign him long term between 8 and 9.5

Gaudreau while producing well should not get more than 8.5 if he wants to stay with the Flames. Landeskog and Hall deals should emphasize that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad