Player Discussion Matthew Savoie

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
Neither of these are accurate. Savoie is a burner. His best comp - it’s not a very good comp - is Matt Barzal but a better goal scorer.
Hmm yeah I guess I was thinking more from a points perspective if everything works out. ~50 point guy at the lower end. He looks like he has more than enough skill to get there and he is praised for willingness to get into dirty areas.

Reactions: Stealth1616

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
Kind of hilarious to see the 180 on the guy other fan bases have done. Constantly a top 50 prospect but now that he’s Oiler property he is a bust, not a top prospect etc.

Have admittedly never really seen him play but he has been quite productive at every level. Even if he never plays a game for the Oil the trade is still a win

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

He doesn't go to the net in the same way, but the way he handles the puck and shoots are very Arvidsson-esque.
He appears to be taller near the end. Like he grew or something.

Perhaps this is where the official height discrepancies come in. Savoie 5'9" 175lb looks to be around the same size as Bedard 5'10" 178lb. Arvidsson is 5'10" 185lb.

There's not a lot of difference between 5'9 and 5'10, the bigger element is weight.

For example, there's a big difference between 5'9 and 160, like Yams or Gaudreau; and 5'9 and 180, like Arvidsson, Zuccarello, Marchand, Marchessault, and Gallagher. If Savoie is closer to 180, then I'm not overly concerned about his height.

Reactions: stewy04 and Duke74

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Don't see any reason why he couldn't break in the same way Brayden Point, Jordan Eberle, and Cole Caufield did at age 20 and have a 40P season. Skates well enough and has more than enough puck skills to be able to stick imo, and the Oilers have enough centre options to give him a sheltered bottom 6 scoring line. His NHLE was 53 points last season.

I will continue saying it until I manifest it into existence because I think the Oilers can properly insulate this player to develop at the NHL level and I think he can add some nice secondary scoring. Kane-Nuge-Savoie line that gets easy match ups and maybe even give the kid some PP#2 time throwing him in the mix with Skinner, Arvidsson, Kane, Henrique and Holloway.

Giggleplex

May 18, 2015
Unless he absolutely blows the doors off I think they will have him in the AHL for at least a quarter of the season. I wonder if he will get reps at center in the AHL or if they just plan on deploying as a winger. Being a right shot center is very valuable if he can play that role in the bigs.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Unless he absolutely blows the doors off I think they will have him in the AHL for at least a quarter of the season. I wonder if he will get reps at center in the AHL or if they just plan on deploying as a winger. Being a right shot center is very valuable if he can play that role in the bigs.
I think it's highly unlikely he'll be a centre in the NHL, especially on Edmonton. Might play him at centre in the AHL if he starts there to get him more touches and more involved, but I expect him to be a winger at the NHL level.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
He's a winger. Not a center at all

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Don't see any reason why he couldn't break in the same way Brayden Point, Jordan Eberle, and Cole Caufield did at age 20 and have a 40P season. Skates well enough and has more than enough puck skills to be able to stick imo, and the Oilers have enough centre options to give him a sheltered bottom 6 scoring line. His NHLE was 53 points last season.

I will continue saying it until I manifest it into existence because I think the Oilers can properly insulate this player to develop at the NHL level and I think he can add some nice secondary scoring. Kane-Nuge-Savoie line that gets easy match ups and maybe even give the kid some PP#2 time throwing him in the mix with Skinner, Arvidsson, Kane, Henrique and Holloway.
This but I would also want to give him some extra seasoning for a year just so he can go for a Calder Trophy in 25/26 that has eluded the franchise lol

TheSecondSeason

Apr 20, 2024
Savoie should play with Holloway on the 4th - 10 min a game for the first half of the season, get a kid line going on the 4th. Speed, youth and energy

Reactions: McDoused

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I do, it's called depth. If he makes the team in a top 9 capacity we would likely have a future star on our hands. I'm not expecting him to make the team, but if he does wow is all that I'd have to say.

Reactions: McFlyingV

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I do, it's called depth. If he makes the team in a top 9 capacity we would likely have a future star on our hands. I'm not expecting him to make the team, but if he does wow is all that I'd have to say.
Don't think it would even necessarily mean he's a star. It would mean he's a future top 6 talent. Plenty of non-stars make the NHL early. Its how they develop in the league that determines their star status.

To me it just makes too much sense if he plays well in camp. #3RW to me is an obvious opening this year unless you think Corey Perry is an everyday NHLer. I think he probably can be in the regular season, but I also think acclimating a much higher upside piece could pay off later this season and into playoffs.

It just makes too much sense in my mind with the current makeup of this team and its new found winger depth not to move Nuge back to centre and run 4 lines with no traditional "10 min per night" 4th line. Not only does it keep the entire roster happy cause everyone is getting minutes, but its perfect load management for a team that has played 98, 94, and 107 games the past 3 years. Takes a lot of stress off our top guys and some of our 30+ guys to be fresher for playoffs.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
He's going to Bakersfield to start his pro career. Tons of skill and high upside and pedigree but as a small skill player will need to grind out critical development time in the AHL.

This is a Cup Final and legitimate contender that deepened its forward group on July 1 and still waiting on Kane's health details and associated cap. No Country For ... Young ... Men and that's okay, this is no longer the Fall for Hall lottery Oilers. There is much growth need for Savoie transitioning to pro - is he a centre or winger (likely winger); translating his elite skill game against adult competition and with less time and space.

Oil hired a well regarded Senior Director of Development to upgrade this critical function within the organization. Now Kalle Larsson will have the franchise's most important next generation prospect to work with and refine a raw diamond with high processor, skills, and physical maturation to onboard the big club in 2025-26. Anticipate Savoie gets some NHL games this season but barring injury to have a full year developing in Bakersfield.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Season him in Bakersfield. This is a CHL player that still plays and thinks the WHL game. A gift fell in our laps. Oilers need to develop him properly. Even if he does a bunch of flashy stuff during the preseason. He needs a full year of AHL experience.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Season him in Bakersfield. This is a CHL player that still plays and thinks the WHL game. A gift fell in our laps. Oilers need to develop him properly. Even if he does a bunch of flashy stuff during the preseason. He needs a full year of AHL experience.
Yeah, no need to rush him to the show especially considering the Oilers timeline and depth up front. I'd rather give Lavoie a shot if they're going to try out a young guy. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world either to start the clock on the ELC contract a year later, the Oilers are likely to lose some guys the season after, Skinner namely, so he'll have more of an opportunity in '25-'26.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
There were reports he was going to make the Sabres team if it wasn't for the injury at rookie camp and it could have very well been Zach Benson reassigned to junior instead.
All that I've read is that he was hurt in a prospects camp and then Benson came in, killed it and earned a spot with the Sabres. That being the case there was really no way to know if he was or wasn't going to make the team out of camp.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad