Player Discussion Matthew Savoie

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
All that I've read is that he was hurt in a prospects camp and then Benson came in, killed it and earned a spot with the Sabres. That being the case there was really no way to know if he was or wasn't going to make the team out of camp.

That could very well be true. I am just regurgitating what I recall from a video on Savoie by Sabres beat writer who was covering him during the memorial cup run. I think Sabres expected him to make a real push at making the team but the injury ultimately made it easy for them to send him down.

At any rate, there's no denying Savoie possesses dynamic skill in many facets of the game along with pedigree. It's not improbable for him to make the team out of camp on merit.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah, no need to rush him to the show especially considering the Oilers timeline and depth up front. I'd rather give Lavoie a shot if they're going to try out a young guy. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world either to start the clock on the ELC contract a year later, the Oilers are likely to lose some guys the season after, Skinner namely, so he'll have more of an opportunity in '25-'26.
There's no starting his ELC a year later. He's 20 turning 21 in January. His ELC starts next year no matter what.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm not suggesting we rush him into the NHL for no reason btw. I'm saying if he shows up and looks like he belongs on this team I don't think he should be sent down just because he's young and small. This roster is set up perfectly to shelter a player like him, and we just saw a 20 year old turned 21 Wyatt Johnston make a massive impact in the playoffs last year (obviously a much bigger player than Matt). There are plenty of examples of highly skilled undersized forwards making an impact their first NHL season at his age without AHL time. Brayden Point, Cole Caufield, Jordan Eberle come to mind.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I'm not suggesting we rush him into the NHL for no reason btw. I'm saying if he shows up and looks like he belongs on this team I don't think he should be sent down just because he's young and small. This roster is set up perfectly to shelter a player like him, and we just saw a 20 year old turned 21 Wyatt Johnston make a massive impact in the playoffs last year (obviously a much bigger player than Matt). There are plenty of examples of highly skilled undersized forwards making an impact their first NHL season at his age without AHL time. Brayden Point, Cole Caufield, Jordan Eberle come to mind.
I think most people agree about 3 forward lines

Skinner - McDavid - Hyman
RNH - Draisaitl - Arvidsson
Janmark - Henrique - Brown

If we’re lucky and Savoie is able to play sheltered mins at center, I’d love to see

Kane - Savoie - Holloway

If he’s not ready it’s fine, we’re deep at forward right now. Let him develop a bit in the AHL and run with

Kane - Holloway - Perry/Ryan

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Kind of a bummer that we haven't heard an interview with him yet since getting traded. Is Oilers Now with Bob still on Monday's in the offseason?

Yeah, it's still on. There was a segment on the trade on Friday addressing the trade. Brenden Escott was in for Bob and had Reid Wilkins on to talk about the trade. I think it might have something to do with when the transaction was made. Just before the weekend so maybe not enough to get in contact with the agent and facilitate an interview.

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. I think Oilers Now is still on, not 100% sure though

I am thinking it might be because trade happened just before the weekend. I am sure they'll have a segment sometime this week.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
AHL next year for sure and no shot he is a Center imo

But in a perfect world he is soaking up McDrai points on an elc in 2 years. Even if he outright busts, this was still a very smart bet imo. If he pans out, our team is in a considerably better position in a few years

Just wild really, JJ is a beast. He got Drai a depth chart with no cap space, and added two first round picks somehow. WTF is going on. Agent GM's the new meta apparently.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think most people agree about 3 forward lines

Skinner - McDavid - Hyman
RNH - Draisaitl - Arvidsson
Janmark - Henrique - Brown

If we’re lucky and Savoie is able to play sheltered mins at center, I’d love to see

Kane - Savoie - Holloway

If he’s not ready it’s fine, we’re deep at forward right now. Let him develop a bit in the AHL and run with

Kane - Holloway - Perry/Ryan
I just don't think you're maximizing the line up with a Kane-Holloway-Perry line, I think that line will struggle especially with Holloway playing centre when he's a better fit on the wing and you'll end up with a line that is going to get actual 4th line minutes. I'd rather run McDavid-Drai-Nuge-Henrique down the middle so that every winger gets an actual proven centre. I'm not sure that Nuge needs to play top 6 as badly as people think. Offensively we know he's not an amazing 5v5 producer, but he is good defensively and he is an excellent dual special teams player. I don't think you'd be hurting the line up if you cut his 5v5 minutes and gave them to a guy like Holloway in the top 6 to continue growing his game. He showed a lot of good moments on Draisaitl's wing in the playoffs.

I'd like to see our top 2 lines players closer to 16-18 minutes instead of into the 20's and the bottom 2 line guys to get around 14 minutes instead of 10-12. I think you could make a line up where you could legitimately just run all 4 lines because you could make 4 lines good enough to be trusted, but I only see that in a world where you run McD-Drai-Nuge-Henrique down the middle.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
I think Savoie makes the team. He's that good.
I'd honestly prefer he didn't..

Let him cook down in Bakersfield playing important minutes, then hopefully he's Skinner's replacement the following season.

I wouldn't be overly surprised if he's dealt in a package to upgrade the defense though, whether that's this off-season or next seasons TDL

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Says who? he's played center in the games I've watched him play. It's one thing to say he doesn't project as a center at the next level and on this team but to say he's not a center at all as a matter of fact is disingenuous.
He doesn't project as a center because he's too small. He also plays a better North east game on the wing as opposed to center like Mcleod did.

You are correct he played C in the WHL

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

Let him cook down in Bakersfield playing important minutes, then hopefully he's Skinner's replacement the following season.

I wouldn't be overly surprised if he's dealt in a package to upgrade the defense though, whether that's this off-season or next seasons TDL

I think we would all prefer that Savoie goes to the minors but honestly im telling you that I think he's too good to be in bakersfield for too long. Note that we will be burning a year of his ELC regardless if hes in the minors or the NHL.

Zach Benson was drafted 13OA in 2023 and he ended up playing 71 games last year. That could have been Savoie had he not be injured to start the season. (Yes I get Buffalo is a weaker team than the Oilers).

By contrast Logan Stankoven (47th overall in 2021) was drafted the year before Savoie (9th overall in 2022) and he ended up playing 24 regular season and 19 playoff games.

If he is in the minors, he likely won't be there for long. I really do think he impresses out of camp and gets this 10 games in the NHL before they decide how they want to handle him.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I think we would all prefer that Savoie goes to the minors but honestly im telling you that I think he's too good to be in bakersfield for too long. Note that we will be burning a year of his ELC regardless if hes in the minors or the NHL.

Zach Benson was drafted 13OA in 2023 and he ended up playing 71 games last year. That could have been Savoie had he not be injured to start the season. (Yes I get Buffalo is a weaker team than the Oilers).

By contrast Logan Stankoven (47th overall in 2021) was drafted the year before Savoie (9th overall in 2022) and he ended up playing 24 regular season and 19 playoff games.

If he is in the minors, he likely won't be there for long. I really do think he impresses out of camp and gets this 10 games in the NHL before they decide how they want to handle him.
Stankoven is a good comparable to Savoie.

Buffalo is still rushing their prospects like Oilers used to do.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

I think the chances of Holloway getting traded are higher than Savoie considering contracts and how stacked our forward group is this season

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
I think the chances of Holloway getting traded are higher than Savoie considering contracts and how stacked our forward group is this season
Luckily it is only you thinking that, trading either is not good for us in the long run due to cap but that is the reason why you constantly advocate those type of moves.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
You guys are gonna love this kid. Has every attribute you look for in an elite skill player, doesn’t have size, but neither did the Vegas Conn Smythe winner last year. Savoie was my favorite Sabres prospect since Buffalo drafted him, prodigal hands, burning speed, wicked shot, agile and sneaky up the ice. I’d be shocked if he didn’t start in the NHL. He’s that good and should’ve been with the Sabres last year if not for injury. There’s not really any flaws to his game outside his size , which is overcomeable. Honestly I see a PPG difference maker on LD or CM’s wing as soon as his sophomore year and would be shocked if it didn’t happen. You just got one of the best and most dynamic prospects on the planet. For a third liner. Id be very surprised if he doesn’t make the team. Good luck buffalo west, now win that cup this year !!!! You have the Buffalo reverse curse so it’ll happen. Every player we trade ends up winning the cup:laugh::laugh:

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
Injruies happen, so I would imagine the plan is to start him in the AHL and then if a injury in the top 6 happens, call him up and give him a shot there

He probably has the best development path of any current prospect in the NHL. No pressure to rush him to the NHL, and when he does arrive, you get to play in the best forward core in the NHL with one of the two best players in the league

Reactions: Giggleplex

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Yeah honestly close to a 0% chance we flip Savoie in a package, considering how valuable it will be for us to have an impact player on an ELC for the McDavid, Draisaitl and Bouchard contract years.

That ELC is absolutely massive. What a great trade.

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
I don't understand why Buffalo traded a top 10 pick.

Statisically, a top 10 pick is most likely to end up as a run of the mill middle liner. Probably similar rates of top 10 picks end up as complete busts as end up as impactful top liners

If you pull up any draft over the past 15 years, a lot of the prospects drafted 3-10 end up in the "meh" terriortity

2018 for example:
Kotkaniemi-meh depth player
Zadina- bust
Hayton- meh depth player
Boqvist- meh depth player
Kravtsov- bust

Successful picks: Dahlin (#1) Svech (#2), Tkakchuk (#4) and Hughes (#7). There is almost more busts then successfull picks after the 3rd pick

2017- same thing
Busts: Patrick, Glass, Andersson
Ok depth players: Mittlestadt, Rasmussen, Tippet
impacftul players: Makar, Pettersson

2016:
Busts: Puljuarvi, Juolevi, Nylander, Jost (not top 10 but right after were busts in Brown, Mcleod, Bean)
Impactful players: Sergachev, Tkachuk, Keller

etc

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
He doesn't go to the net in the same way, but the way he handles the puck and shoots are very Arvidsson-esque.

There's not a lot of difference between 5'9 and 5'10, the bigger element is weight.

For example, there's a big difference between 5'9 and 160, like Yams or Gaudreau; and 5'9 and 180, like Arvidsson, Zuccarello, Marchand, Marchessault, and Gallagher. If Savoie is closer to 180, then I'm not overly concerned about his height.
100%.

The NHL isn’t the NFL. It’s more of an endurance sport than brute force. Especially now with the finesse of players.

Sidebar- go watch game 6 of the 2006 Finals in Edmonton. There were like 12-20 hits that would be the biggest hits of the playoffs lol.

I am a 5’10 ish 190 pound person… when I see NHL/ hockey guys, I am generally very close in size & stature (physically) not skill wise LOL

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
You guys are gonna love this kid. Has every attribute you look for in an elite skill player, doesn’t have size, but neither did the Vegas Conn Smythe winner last year. Savoie was my favorite Sabres prospect since Buffalo drafted him, prodigal hands, burning speed, wicked shot, agile and sneaky up the ice. I’d be shocked if he didn’t start in the NHL. He’s that good and should’ve been with the Sabres last year if not for injury. There’s not really any flaws to his game outside his size , which is overcomeable. Honestly I see a PPG difference maker on LD or CM’s wing as soon as his sophomore year and would be shocked if it didn’t happen. You just got one of the best and most dynamic prospects on the planet. For a third liner. Id be very surprised if he doesn’t make the team. Good luck buffalo west, now win that cup this year !!!! You have the Buffalo reverse curse so it’ll happen. Every player we trade ends up winning the cup:laugh::laugh:
Posts like yours, from genuine BUF fans, keep making me like you guys. As Oilers fans we completely, 100% understand how it feels. Cheering for you guys too, show all the haters and make the playoffs this year guys.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
If the Oil lock up the big boys to full term deals, Bouchard included, Savoie and Sam O'Reilly pan out to full potential and with continued development from Holloway and Broberg the Oilers are set up nicely for the McDrai era. Everything has to go right.

Reactions: nally

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

good pre-draft write-ups on Savoie from 2022...excellent skater, dynamic with dazzling offensive skill

of course, now he isn't that great since he got traded to the Oilers (according to some posters in the mains)

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

good pre-draft write-ups on Savoie from 2022...excellent skater, dynamic with dazzling offensive skill

of course, now he isn't that great since he got traded to the Oilers (according to some posters in the mains)
He has a full toolbox. Now he needs to level up, first to the AHL then to the NHL.

If you want to make those downplaying Savoie's value eat some crow make damn sure he's developed correctly. Only then will he reach his full abilities and go on to have an outstanding NHL carer.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lafayette @ Buffalo
    Lafayette @ Buffalo
    Wagers: 8
    Staked: $18,658.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:

Ad

Ad