Player Discussion Matthew Savoie

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

good pre-draft write-ups on Savoie from 2022...excellent skater, dynamic with dazzling offensive skill

of course, now he isn't that great since he got traded to the Oilers (according to some posters in the mains)

Considering the brain trust on the mains...I think some of those same posters unironically & sincerely thought McDavid would bust on the Oilers.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

good pre-draft write-ups on Savoie from 2022...excellent skater, dynamic with dazzling offensive skill

of course, now he isn't that great since he got traded to the Oilers (according to some posters in the mains)
Always hilarious to see people compare him to Yamamoto when Yamamoto was missing most of those elite qualities. Yamo was an average skater with an average shot and good passing/hockey smarts. Savoie is an excellent skater, has an excellent shot, excellent hands, excellent offensive IQ, excellent playmaker. Always a good laugh when people compare small players just because they're small. I am just going to block any poster who compares this guy to Yamo because their hockey takes aren't worth reading.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Always hilarious to see people compare him to Yamamoto when Yamamoto was missing most of those elite qualities. Yamo was an average skater with an average shot and good passing/hockey smarts. Savoie is an excellent skater, has an excellent shot, excellent hands, excellent offensive IQ, excellent playmaker. Always a good laugh when people compare small players just because they're small. I am just going to block any poster who compares this guy to Yamo because their hockey takes aren't worth reading.
Yamamoto was a better goal scorer in the WHL than Savoie. His shot somehow disappeared when he entered pro. 42 in 65 games in his draft

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Yamamoto was a better goal scorer in the WHL than Savoie. His shot somehow disappeared when he entered pro. 42 in 65 games in his draft
Not as good at finding the soft spots they are fewer and further between. Junior has a lot more time and space

Reactions: Duke74

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That is pure stat watching you're doing. He scored 7 more goals in his draft year while putting up significantly worse goal scoring in every other comparable WHL year. His shot didn't disappear. He just didn't really have an amazing shot, but you don't need to at the WHL level if you're a smart player. CHL goaltending is straight up awful and its why so many guys score so much. Yamo was also a late birthday in his 3rd WHL season in his draft year. He had a lot more opportunity to adapt to the league before he was drafted.

All you have to do is watch their pre-draft highlight videos and you'll see an enormous difference in their skating and shot.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Not as good at finding the soft spots they are fewer and further between. Junior has a lot more time and space
That is pure stat watching you're doing. He scored 7 more goals in his draft year while putting up significantly worse goal scoring in every other comparable WHL year. His shot didn't disappear. He just didn't really have an amazing shot, but you don't need to at the WHL level if you're a smart player. CHL goaltending is straight up awful and its why so many guys score so much. Yamo was also a late birthday in his 3rd WHL season in his draft year. He had a lot more opportunity to adapt to the league before he was drafted.

All you have to do is watch their pre-draft highlight videos and you'll see an enormous difference in their skating and shot.
They both have a good shot. But the NHL is a different animal. Sometime it requires you to change up how you shoot like James Neal said. Look at Yamo draft year highlights. He scores in many different ways

Giggleplex

May 18, 2015
They both have a good shot. But the NHL is a different animal. Sometime it requires you to change up how you shoot like James Neal said. Look at Yamo draft year highlights. He scores in many different ways

Most of those are tap ins....

I wouldn't consider Yams having a good shot at all. He's got a relatively slow release and it's a muffin too. And for what it's worth, he still managed to score 20 in the NHL.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

I don't think that clip shows what you think it does. It shows a guy with some nice finish around the net and a guy who gets in good positions for his teammates to find him. You can also see how his skating is average at the CHL level in that clip. Go watch a Savoie clip in comparison and you'll see him beating goalies from further out and using his blazing speed and acceleration in transition.

For reference, go watch that Yamo video you posted and then go watch this 1/2 season of Savoie's draft year.

Look at the drastic difference in these clips for Savoie constantly scoring from the high slot/circle, and then compare it to Yamo almost always scoring from the inner slot/crease.

Yamo had a good set of hands and was a good playmaker + high hockey IQ, but his shot and skating left a lot to be desired.

Last edited:

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure

That's a great interview. Sounds like he's ready to play in the AHL or NHL, sees this team as a great opportunity. Also noted his brother Carter is "excited about other opportunities", so that could lead one to assume he'll look to sign elsewhere. Big Oiler household growing up - no surprise.

Can't wait to watch him in preseason!

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
I read comparables - Stankoven, Barzal. That would be a great add to this team!

Still can't believe we got him. Even if he busts, we still freed up cap space. If he develops into a star, did we ever luck out. Perfect timing to land Skinner for a year and give Savoie another year to develop without as much pressure. Looking at our forward lineup is incredible - for years ahead, we might look back at this lineup at the best (ever) we've seen?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He'd be an interesting piece on PP2 if he makes the team. He plays a similar role to McDavid or Nuge (pre-McDavid) as the half wall player who is a shooting threat with excellent cross ice vision and execution. He just does it from the right half wall.

Could see a 2nd PP of Savoie (McDavid's role), Skinner (Draisaitl's role), Arvidsson (Nuge's role), and Kane or Henrique (Hyman's role) being able to run a similar style PP as the top unit with Broberg on the point.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Could Ehlers be a good comparable for Savoie? Both elite skaters with great offense. Both can be a bit injury prone with their style of play. Both huge CHL producers drafted 9th overall. Ehlers is a bit bigger though. But Savoie probably has the better shot and IQ.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Not sure why people would do that. My knock on yama always was that his weight was extreme outlier. At 155lbs he wasn't even coming in at tenable NHL size.

Taking Yama on a pick was a wasted pick. Spending years trying to turn him into something was a worse waste of time. I had tons of people tell me I'm making it up and Yams could compete well at this level at this size.

Savoie is 179lbs and well within weight range of what NHL players often can be. Its not even close to the same weight or size.

Anyway.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Not sure why people would do that. My knock on yama always was that his weight was extreme outlier. At 155lbs he wasn't even coming in at tenable NHL size.

Taking Yama on a pick was a wasted pick. Spending years trying to turn him into something was a worse waste of time. I had tons of people tell me I'm making it up and Yams could compete well at this level at this size.

Savoie is 179lbs and well within weight range of what NHL players often can be. Its not even close to the same weight or size.

Anyway.
I'm not sure why people do it either, but I see it all the time on these boards comparing small players because of their size. You're right, Yamo was far too light for the skillset he possessed. I'll give him credit, he did win a lot of board battles and wasn't afraid to go to the hard areas for a guy so small, but I think it also caught up to him and evidently is why he never continued to develop.

My main point was that the skillsets of these two players is drastically different, and Savoie has a lot of elite qualities that Yamo didn't have. The extra weight on Savoie is an obvious added bonus.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Guy probably could’ve gotten exceptional player status but rumours about politics and shit kept him from starting early.

This is like the Oilers first stud prospect since maybe McDavid? Maybe Bouchard?

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

Anyway.

Savoie is a sturdier build too, like his brother. I can see him filling out over the next couple years

Reactions: Drivesaitl

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Daniel Briere
Yeh that’s a good comp I’ve heard. I forgot if Brier was a great skater though. But watching some highlights of Brier now, the comparison is very apt. Size is a match. As well as the IQ, finishing ability, and vision.

Reactions: Cloned

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Guy probably could’ve gotten exceptional player status but rumours about politics and shit kept him from starting early.

This is like the Oilers first stud prospect since maybe McDavid? Maybe Bouchard?
Since Bouchard, yeah. Bouchard was an absolute stud D prospect even if not the flashiest.

Broberg, obviously being a higher pick, was still a bit of a project pick with some obvious elite elements, but a very raw and underdeveloped game that has taken time to get there.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Anyway.

Yeah, its almost a 1-2 inch and 25 pound difference. That is a significant difference in size.

Their stats are pretty similar for draft year and D+1, very similar in fact, but D+2 is harder to read as Yams was in NHL/AHL and Savoie was in WHL/minimally in AHL:
- draft: KY: 65GP, 42G, 99P, MS: 65GP, 35G, 90P
- D+1: KY: 40GP, 21G, 64P, MS: 62GP, 38G, 95P

In the D+2 MS had almost a PPG pace in the AHL, but only over 6 GP, and then tore up WHL with 2.09 PPG, whereas Yams was 0.67 in AHL and 2 points in 17 NHL GP. Yams AHL season was pretty respectable for a 20 year old though, and with a cup of coffee in the NHL, was a pretty successful season I would argue. Not really sure who I would give the advantage to in the D+2 year really.

In Yams D+3 year he was almost a PPG in the NHL over 27 GP and strangely had a lower AHL PPG of 0.7, lol. We'll see what Savoie can do in D+3.

Anyway, I don't think the comp holds all that much in style, at least from the limited highlights I've seen of Savoie. I'm not that familiar with the player outside those highlight packages and then the descriptions I've read. He seems to be a significantly better skater, first and foremost, which will help him a lot being a smaller player. Also, as stated above, having an inch or 2 and 25 pounds, is quite a big difference really. Its the difference between "very small", and just "smaller than average".

Reactions: Giggleplex

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lafayette @ Buffalo
    Lafayette @ Buffalo
    Wagers: 8
    Staked: $18,658.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:

Ad

Ad