Matthew Knies

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I know I’ll get laughed at for this but he reminds of Matthews. I’m only talking about the way he moves.

I’m not saying he’s a Hart winning 60 goal scorer lol
I think it makes too much sense to play Knies with Matthews (and Bertuzzi). Let Marner carry the second line with Tavares (and Robertson). Domi and Nylander (with Lafferty or Holmberg) on the third line.

I think Knies and Matthews could work really, really well together.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I think it makes too much sense to play Knies with Matthews (and Bertuzzi). Let Marner carry the second line with Tavares (and Robertson). Domi and Nylander (with Lafferty or Holmberg) on the third line.

I would be fully on board with that. Puts pretty well every player on each line in positions to succeed while having balanced scoring and 2 way play

Reactions: authentic

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I would be fully on board with that. Puts pretty well every player on each line in positions to succeed while having balanced scoring and 2 way play

That's it exactly. I also like the options, could go..

Robertson Tavares Marner
Domi Nylander Lafferty

- or -

Lafferty Tavares Marner
Domi Holmberg Nylander

- or -

Robertson Tavares Marner
Domi Holmberg Nylander
Lafferty on 4th line

...this all works well with Jarnkrok in the mix too if the cap allows for it.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

What's Robertson done to deserve to be in the top 6?

Reactions: Niagara Bill

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Putting a $5 or $20 bill down on him to win the Calder might be a shrewd move.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
What's Robertson done to deserve to be in the top 6?
Well, what is your definition of "deserving to be in the top six"? Do you use that phrase interchangeably with "our best six forwards"? I don't.

My proposed forward lines have three lines that can score and each with some defensive conscience and different elements to them.

If you read the thread further you can see that I proposed other combinations that have Lafferty on L2 (no, I don't consider him to be one of our best six forwards either) and Holmberg in on L3. This in case we don't think Robertson is ready. I can't answer the question as to what has Lafferty done to earn a spot on L2 or Holmberg on L3. This is about balance, line construction and chemistry.

Do you build your lines only by putting the "best six forwards" on the top two lines? If not, how do you justify the decision?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Well, what is your definition of "deserving to be in the top six"? Do you use that phrase interchangeably with "our best six forwards"? I don't.

My proposed forward lines have three lines that can score and each with some defensive conscience and different elements to them.

If you read the thread further you can see that I proposed other combinations that have Lafferty on L2 (no, I don't consider him to be one of our best six forwards either) and Holmberg in on L3. This in case we don't think Robertson is ready. I can't answer the question as to what has Lafferty done to earn a spot on L2 or Holmberg on L3. This is about balance, line construction and chemistry.

Do you build your lines only by putting the "best six forwards" on the top two lines? If not, how do you justify the decision?

Personally I would put our best 6 forwards in the top 6, and I think that eventually happens we've tried Nylander at center it's never worked.

Now the question is who is our 6th best forward? Knies or Domi? I don't know, That's still undecided at this point.

I can tell you who It isn't though it's not Robertson, and I guarantee you It sure as hell is not Lafferty.

I'm not even sure Lafferty is one of our 12 best forwards, Gregor might be better.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Personally I would put our best 6 forwards in the top 6, and I think that eventually happens we've tried Nylander at center it's never worked.

Now the question is who is our 6th best forward? Knies or Domi? I don't know, That's still undecided at this point.

I can tell you who It isn't though it's not Robertson, and I guarantee you It sure as hell is not Lafferty.

I'm not even sure Lafferty is one of our 12 best forwards, Gregor might be better.
Fair, thanks

I don't think you have to make your best six forwards fill out your top two lines. I like balance and depth and lines constructed with purpose not just fantasy pool results.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I love Knies, but unless Bedard gets injured, your wasting your money.

He's the favorite but you'll get good odds on Knies and Knies is likely playing with good players on a good team all year.

Pretty sure Bertuzzi is gonna get injured.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If Calle stays. I don't how he is not in the Top 6 over Robertson.

Knies-AM-Bert, AM might not get 60 but he will probably get more points due to being the primary puck carrier and distributer.

Calle-JT-MM, Calle will be doing the digging and scores on rush and also banging in rebounds. JT will score over 40 for sure with MM being the primary puck carrier.

Robbie-WIllie-Domi, will be a speed, up and down line, kind of like the HBK line with the Pens.

Thats what I think Keefe should try early in the season, esp if they have a good start. I think part of the reason the Willie at C experiment ended so early last year was mainly bc the 10mil plus boys were struggling out the gate and Keefe needs Willie to boast them up.

Reactions: authentic

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I have never questioned his talent, I have said he has the talent to be a 25 goal scorer.

But there is a reason I call him "the glass man"
So the Leafs should just not put him in a position to succeed because he might get hurt, even though he has the talent to play there?

Reactions: kb

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Marner shouldn't have to carry a line with JT at the expense of attenuating the output of Matthews. Marner, Matthews and Bert have the ability of being the best line in hockey. Jt has enough to do an adequate job on a third line. It makes zero sense to have that much firepower on the third. The third becomes the second and then you find Willys minutes cut. That move gives more.minutes to JT and less to Willy.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Knies is a great story line to watch this season. Observe how he and the coaches manage the ebbs and flows of a college player’s rookie season.

Whatever it is, define and secure his role so he can perform to the best of his ability in the playoffs.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So the Leafs should just not put him in a position to succeed because he might get hurt, even though he has the talent to play there?

No it's because he WILL get hurt, it's what he does, it's only a matter of when, not if.

He is the glass man

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
No it's because he WILL get hurt, it's what he does, it's only a matter of when, not if.

He is the glass man
Your point is illogical. You admit he has the talent to play high in the lineup, but he shouldn't because he will get hurt again? So do the Leafs just never give him a chance again? If they start him on the 2nd line let's say, and he gets hurt, then it is what it is. But you don't go to him and say we're putting you on the Marlies because you're bound to get hurt.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Your point is illogical. You admit he has the talent to play high in the lineup, but he shouldn't because he will get hurt again? So do the Leafs just never give him a chance again? If they start him on the 2nd line let's say, and he gets hurt, then it is what it is. But you don't go to him and say we're putting you on the Marlies because you're bound to get hurt.

Even if I believed he could stay healthy who would he replace on the wing?

Marner?
Nylander? (no I don't think Nylander is staying at center)
Bertuzzi?
Domi?
Knies?
Jarnkrok?

Those are the wingers in the top 9

I mean yeah he's better than Reaves and Lafferty/Gregor on line 4 but you can't put him on the 4th line and think he's going to be effective, because he'd have to battle for pucks and that's what gets him hurt.

He's got to be in the top 9, but as of October 2nd 2023 at 7:46 AM Mountain the top 9 is full.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Even if I believed he could stay healthy who would he replace on the wing?

Marner?
Nylander? (no I don't think Nylander is staying at center)
Bertuzzi?
Domi?
Knies?
Jarnkrok?

Those are the wingers in the top 9

I mean yeah he's better than Reaves and Lafferty/Gregor on line 4 but you can't put him on the 4th line and think he's going to be effective, because he'd have to battle for pucks and that's what gets him hurt.

He's got to be in the top 9, but as of October 2nd 2023 at 7:46 AM Mountain the top 9 is full.
Nylander is clearly going to start at C at the very least. I'm not saying he is going to stay there, but that's the way it is looking.

Regardless, your comment here about the top 9 being full is different than your original 'he's made of glass so let's not bother' argument.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Nylander is clearly going to start at C at the very least. I'm not saying he is going to stay there, but that's the way it is looking.

Regardless, your comment here about the top 9 being full is different than your original 'he's made of glass so let's not bother' argument.

Well 2 things can be true.

1 he is made of glass he's proven that.

2 even if he could stay healthy the top 9 is full.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad