Matthew Knies

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Well 2 things can be true.

1 he is made of glass he's proven that.

2 even if he could stay healthy the top 9 is full.
Haha I know man I am just saying that the team won't decide whether he should make the team based on whether he has had injuries in the past.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Marner shouldn't have to carry a line with JT at the expense of attenuating the output of Matthews. Marner, Matthews and Bert have the ability of being the best line in hockey. Jt has enough to do an adequate job on a third line. It makes zero sense to have that much firepower on the third. The third becomes the second and then you find Willys minutes cut. That move gives more.minutes to JT and less to Willy.
It's all about the philosophy of balance and depth and how much you value it over an 82 game schedule preparing for the playoffs.

If we consider that we have six top six forwards and they are:

Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Tavares
Bertuzzi
Domi
Knies

We can either stack two lines and then have 3rd and 4th lines that may lack offensive power or any identity or defined purpose. What would your bottom two lines be in the guys listed above would be the top two? How much ice time would you give the bottom six at even strength?

My personal opinion is that I would like to see those top six spread in pairs across three lines and joined by some of Jarnkrok, Robertson, Lafferty, and Holmberg.

I would want these top 3 lines to play 42 to 44 of the 48 or so ES minutes we have in a game. This approach has us with top players on for 90% + of ES time. We will win a lot of matchups while also load managing.

I value this more than being able to say we have the top line in hockey.

We also get to shelter a third line of Kampf, Reaves and Gregor. 4 to 6 minutes of ES time. Kampf and Gregor getting 4 or 5 minutes of PK.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
It's all about the philosophy of balance and depth and how much you value it over an 82 game schedule preparing for the playoffs.

If we consider that we have six top six forwards and they are:

Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Tavares
Bertuzzi
Domi
Knies

We can either stack two lines and then have 3rd and 4th lines that may lack offensive power or any identity or defined purpose. What would your bottom two lines be in the guys listed above would be the top two? How much ice time would you give the bottom six at even strength?

My personal opinion is that I would like to see those top six spread in pairs across three lines and joined by some of Jarnkrok, Robertson, Lafferty, and Holmberg.

I would want these top 3 lines to play 42 to 44 of the 48 or so ES minutes we have in a game. This approach has us with top players on for 90% + of ES time. We will win a lot of matchups while also load managing.

I value this more than being able to say we have the top line in hockey.

We also get to shelter a third line of Kampf, Reaves and Gregor. 4 to 6 minutes of ES time. Kampf and Gregor getting 4 or 5 minutes of PK.
But weighting based on ice time is also a consideration. You want your best players on the ice more. You don't want Knies on the ice more than Nylander. Heck...you don't want Tavares on the ice more than Nylander. Balancing 3 lines evenly in ice time underdeploys the best players

Reactions: William Johnson

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
But weighting based on ice time is also a consideration. You want your best players on the ice more. You don't want Knies on the ice more than Nylander. Heck...you don't want Tavares on the ice more than Nylander. Balancing 3 lines evenly in ice time underdeploys the best players
The only players who need more minutes are M&M and Nylander, and since the coach undervalues Nylander, it's just M&M really. They both play PP1, now it seems like they will both also kill penalties so all you need to do is give them each a shift with the 4th line now and then and problem solved.

There's something to be said for load management as well. I'm sure you've seen the numbers that show our top guys production dropping off more than is expected in the playoffs. Don't know if being more rested for the playoffs would solve that problem or not but it couldn't hurt, especially when it comes to Marner.

Reactions: William Johnson

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Knies looks like a stud
Not a bad hockey player either

1622860760742.gif

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Worth noting that Keefe had Knies play on the third line for a bunch of shifts in the playoffs - and there will be a desire by the leafs o make sure the bottom six units have some skill/scoring though that will also be impacted how permanent the JT-Nyalnder split is

MavisGoldberg

Oct 8, 2023
Knies looks really, really good. At 21, it's pretty remarkable how great he is at protecting the puck. He can be a real great power forward in the future.
Great steal by Dubas.

Reactions: authentic

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
No matter where you stand on Dubas’ accomplishments with the Leafs, he selected an absolute gem with Knies. He was contrary to his “type” of player usually but it was an astute pick. He had a beauty of a game last night.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Remember when posters on here wanted to trade Knies to Chicago for a rental in Fleury? Yikes.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I’m not going into that quicksand.

I’m just going enjoy what we have already in Knies, and I’m going to enjoy seeing what he becomes here.

I’m giving the player credit, not whatever suit decided to draft him.
I’m trolling they obviously found a good one.

Knies has been great

Reactions: LeafSteel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad