Rumor: Matt Sekeres (Daily Hive) - Winnipeg Jets team to watch on JT Miller

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008

SUX2BU

User of an ad-infested forum
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Miller for Perfetti and Heinola

nt4dmfe-gif.400894

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Canucks fans sure are dreaming big. Necas+Drury, Newhook+Barron, Schneider+Kravtsov+1st, Perfetti+Heinola.

Miller is great and he’s not a rental. He’s a legit first liner. He’s also not a superstar and he’s got 1.5 years of good contract left.

A package including a 1st, a really solid prospect who maybe was a recent later 1st and is trending well, another nice pick, and a youngish NHLer who maybe needs a change of scenery but has upside…I mean that is probably more what we are looking at.

I will be shocked if teams give young NHLers with big upside who are already critical pieces of their team (Necas, Jarvis, Newhook) or crown jewel prospects who occupy a unique projection position for their clubs (Schneider, Perfetti).

Last edited:

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Canucks fans sure are dreaming big. Necas+Drury, Newhook+Barron, Schneider+Kravtsov+1st, Perfetti+Heinola.

Miller is great and he’s not a rental. He’s a legit first liner. He’s also not a superstar, he’s 30 and he’s got 1.5 years of good contract left.

A package including a 1st, a really solid prospect who maybe was a recent later 1st and is trending well, another nice pick, and a youngish NHLer who maybe needs a change of scenery but has upside…I mean that is probably more what we are looking at.

I will be shocked if teams give young NHLers with big upside who are already critical pieces of their team (Necas, Jarvis, Newhook) or crown jewel prospects who occupy a unique projection position for their clubs (Schneider, Perfetti).
He's 28 years old. Each situation in the NHL seems to be unique. Buffalo fans thought they were getting a haul back for Eichel which didn't happen because of the neck issue and uncertainty surrounding the surgery. However, now Miller is going to really stick out at the deadline as the best forward available, and we all know teams bidding against one another can drive up price, but there is no way Sakic parts with Newhook, Jets part with Perfetti, and Rangers part with Schneider. Isn't happening. They will get a nice return, though.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Heinola I can see being traded because Samberg was called up and is playing well in the NHL. He's a bit redundant.
Perfetti looks like the real deal already, no way on earth the Jets parts ways with him. I don't even see him going back down to the Moose, the kid is so damn good. This isn't to say that Perfetti + Heinola is a remotely good deal. That kind of package could return much, much more than a 30 year old player with a year and a half left on his contract.
Overall, thanks to Maurice's coaching blunders and our inability to stay healthy, we might not even make it this year. We might be sellers, and cash in Copp, Stastny and others for assets at the deadline. We're not going to break the bank on Miller.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He's 28 years old. Each situation in the NHL seems to be unique. Buffalo fans thought they were getting a haul back for Eichel which didn't happen because of the neck issue and uncertainty surrounding the surgery. However, now Miller is going to really stick out at the deadline as the best forward available, and we all know teams bidding against one another can drive up price, but there is no way Sakic parts with Newhook, Jets part with Perfetti, and Rangers part with Schneider. Isn't happening. They will get a nice return, though.

My bad, not sure why I thought he was 30. I still think Newhook, Jarvis, Perfetti types are a bridge too far.

Reactions: Anthony5967

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
My bad, not sure why I thought he was 30. I still think Newhook, Jarvis, Perfetti types are a bridge too far.
Yea, I honestly would be stunned if that happened. It's like when McDonagh was being traded and Rangers fans thought Point or Sergachev was coming back. It won't happen, but that doesn't mean Vancouver won't get solid pieces in return.

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
Why wouldn't we ask/expect a return like that though? We're not desperate to move him and still have a realistic chance at the playoffs. Moving him now means giving up on the season. Can always wait till July to see his contact expectations and move him in the summer or next deadline.

It seems people still look at him as the NYR/TB Miller with some of these offers. We're talking about a 3yr PPg player, who is 20th in league scoring and plays C/W PP/PK and is 53% of FO.

The real value is that you can have all that for 2 playoffs at potentially $2.6M

Like there aren't even any comparables because this type of player at that salary is almost never available. The closest would be Duchene but he cost 2.5x more and put up half the points at the time.

I'm sure nucks fans sound like a broken record repeating this but it seems to be completely ignored with these proposals.

Also a late 1st is a sweetener, absolutely not the main or co-main piece. We want to be competing in 2 yrs and the assets we get need to reflect that timeline.

/rant

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Interesting to see later on, but I don’t think Jets would be in a spot to make the deal now.

Jets would be unwilling to move Perfetti, and from what I know of VAN’s system, they’re not in need of a small puck-moving LHD in Heinola. There’s other prospects in the pipeline that may be interesting for VAN (Lucius, Chibrikov, Rashevsky) but are all a couple years away at minimum.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Not sure I would be too happy to spend assets at this point on what I would consider a short term fix (this year and next on his contract and doubtful the Jets have the space to re-sign). Sounds like this was more from earlier in the year though, so no clue if it makes sense with the Jets where they are. 0 interest in dealing a 1st (with where the team currently sits), and LOL at asking for Perfetti or Heinola. Dubois? LOL.

Reactions: hn777

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
As a Canucks fan I understand the mentality of having a good team that has a chance to make a run but not wanting to part with young assests. Nucks were very good 2009-2012 and we never really went all out at the deadline and paid for it by never having a cup.

The Jets are a good team, but not a great team. If they want to be stuck in a cycle of consistent 1st or 2nd round playoff exits while their core players get older and have a GM that never really goes for it then by all means do so.

Miller is legit 1C.
At 50% retention thats 2.6M a year.

If you don't think that a 1C at 2.6 is worth Perfetti then thats okay. Enjoy the cycle.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Not sure I would be too happy to spend assets at this point on what I would consider a short term fix (this year and next on his contract and doubtful the Jets have the space to re-sign). Sounds like this was more from earlier in the year though, so no clue if it makes sense with the Jets where they are. 0 interest in dealing a 1st (with where the team currently sits), and LOL at asking for Perfetti or Heinola. Dubois? LOL.

AT this stage, I wouldn't likely unless we get closer to the wild card with a small winning streak. If we got a bit closer then maybe a 1st or Heinola....maybe as part of a package. PLD is clearly not going to happen, Cole isn't going to be available either IMO. Knowing Jets management they at best are kicking tires to see if there is any reasonable deals, but have never sold the farm like some are suggesting here for a TDL trade......just not their MO.

Reactions: pictman

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
As a Canucks fan I understand the mentality of having a good team that has a chance to make a run but not wanting to part with young assests. Nucks were very good 2009-2012 and we never really went all out at the deadline and paid for it by never having a cup.

The Jets are a good team, but not a great team. If they want to be stuck in a cycle of consistent 1st or 2nd round playoff exits while their core players get older and have a GM that never really goes for it then by all means do so.

Miller is legit 1C.
At 50% retention thats 2.6M a year.

If you don't think that a 1C at 2.6 is worth Perfetti then thats okay. Enjoy the cycle.

No one has said JT isn't a good player. IT makes 0 sense to move 20 year old Perfetti who is looking like a legit top 6 player, and possibly a top line player who the Jets will have control of for at least 7 years (and maybe more depending on how they structure the next few contracts), the 1st 3 on an ELC, for JT Miller, who the Jets would only have for 1.5 seasons.

IF the Jets are spending at the TD (which may not even be a good idea) they should be targeting bottom 6 depth scoring. Not trading away a piece like Perfetti for a short term fix.

Overrateprospects

Dec 23, 2021

Miller is great and he’s not a rental. He’s a legit first liner. He’s also not a superstar and he’s got 1.5 years of good contract left.

But Canucks fans say he is a top 20 player in the league……

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
NYR and Colorado both seem like much better trade partners than Winnipeg. Not sure I see any Jets assets they'd be willing to give-up or that are the Canucks most pressing org need.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad