Player Discussion Matt Rempe - See Mod Note Post 769

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Domi needs to work on his interview skills. On his being the best Rangers tough guy.....not really. Kocur, Orr, Boogaard, Fotiu. Langdon did not have the power of those guys but he beat up a lot of bigger, tougher guys by wearing them down. He switched hands easily and his hands were really quick. He could drop his grip....belt his opponent three/four times and get his grip back and it wouldn't take more than a couple seconds and he had super endurance and he could take a punch. Rangers had several smaller guys and Domi was a little bit in with that crowd. McPhee and PJ Stock, Ryan Vandenbussche.

Rempe needed to work with someone like Laraque. He took a little too much punishment last year and he needs to use his size and reach better. The fight with Deslauriers was the best fight I saw all last year and I look at most NHL and AHL fights. The next night against Olivier he got a bad grip and got on the wrong foot and Olivier clearly got the better of him. He still marked up Olivier a bit though and as bad as that one appears he fought his way through it when most would have just gone down. Reaves and MacDermid he used his reach better. These guys are pretty much all top end...arguably top 5 fighters in the NHL or at least Deslauriers, MacDermid and Reaves. It's a lot for a 21 year old. The 5v5 bs NJ with Igor wanting to go too was just awesome.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Domi needs to work on his interview skills. On his being the best Rangers tough guy.....not really. Kocur, Orr, Boogaard, Fotiu. Langdon did not have the power of those guys but he beat up a lot of bigger, tougher guys by wearing them down. He switched hands easily and his hands were really quick. He could drop his grip....belt his opponent three/four times and get his grip back and it wouldn't take more than a couple seconds and he had super endurance and he could take a punch. Rangers had several smaller guys and Domi was a little bit in with that crowd. McPhee and PJ Stock, Ryan Vandenbussche.

Rempe needed to work with someone like Laraque. He took a little too much punishment last year and he needs to use his size and reach better. The fight with Deslauriers was the best fight I saw all last year and I look at most NHL and AHL fights. The next night against Olivier he got a bad grip and got on the wrong foot and Olivier clearly got the better of him. He still marked up Olivier a bit though and as bad as that one appears he fought his way through it when most would have just gone down. Reaves and MacDermid he used his reach better. These guys are pretty much all top end...arguably top 5 fighters in the NHL or at least Deslauriers, MacDermid and Reaves. It's a lot for a 21 year old. The 5v5 bs NJ with Igor wanting to go too was just awesome.
Colton Orr was a bad ass for us. I didn't see too many guys wanna fight him when he was here. When Rempe fills out and gets his man strength look tha f out

Cygnus 2112

Aug 7, 2014
Long Island
Did anyone go to the Fanatics Fan fest this weekend and meet him? I was intrigued and my daughter would've loved it but we just got home from Disney the day before and had a bunch of stuff to catch up on.

markymarc1215

Jan 8, 2023
Southwest Florida
If nothing else, Rempe gives us a tough guy to root for who beat the odds. Kid has a lot of character. I hope he can discipline himself enough to be a decent 4th liner who is a regular, and not a situational player. Just hope these other kids also get a shot over the next 2 years (wishful thinking I know).

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
His hitting game is the biggest thing he brings......but the big hits are going to bring the fights. Also if he hits one dirty or kind of dirty like he did with Siegenthaler. Bastian, Lyabushkin and Van Riemsdyk he just ran through them. Oshie got his hand kind of crushed in the playoffs. He's kind of one man attrition distributing machine and he can do it with clean hits. Just him in the lineup gives the Rangers a pretty nasty forecheck.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
There was nothing wrong with the TVR hit. If he gets called for shit like that I'll live with it and its really up to the refs to stop being dumb f***s. A touch late? Yeah but I've seen other teams get away with the same shit if not worse (see: every hit of Sam Bennett's career.)

Rempe is a big guy with a reputation and poor hitting technique, though the only really egregious hit that he's thrown thus far in his career was the Sigenthaler one as I have no idea wtf he was trying to accomplish there.

Reactions: bhamill

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
There was nothing wrong with the TVR hit. If he gets called for shit like that I'll live with it and its really up to the refs to stop being dumb f***s. A touch late? Yeah but I've seen other teams get away with the same shit if not worse (see: every hit of Sam Bennett's career.)

Rempe is a big guy with a reputation and poor hitting technique, though the only really egregious hit that he's thrown thus far in his career was the Sigenthaler one as I have no idea wtf he was trying to accomplish there.
He said that on the Seiganthaler hit he was getting his arms up to brace for contact with the boards... I wouldn't be surprised if he panicked at missing him completely and just tried to get a piece at the same time as bracing. He's too big for that, his shoulder height is most players' head or jaw height.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The elbow to Siegenthaler is pretty easy to explain. Instead of taking the hit Jonas pulled up partly with the idea that Rempe was going to miss and run into the boards. Matthew just threw out the elbow on the way there. FWIW sometimes you should just take the hit. If you're prepared to take it you almost always come out of it okay. I think what was going through Jonas's head was 'I'm going to do something cute here and make this guy look dumb'. I don't think Jonas is going to do that the next time or ever again with Rempe.

FWIW Matthew should not have thrown the elbow. He deserved to be suspended for that. The thing is though he's 21 at the time and it's a split second decision which once that decision is made it's done and there's no going back.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Even if he gets his timing right, on the hits, he might never be not called, because of his size.
I'm telling you, he learns to hip check, Butt first primary point of contact to the head is gonna happen! That's a 5 minute penalty I'm down to kill.

And not every check gets called. I think every time he goes for a check, everyone in the arena is holding their breath.

BeLeafing

Jun 5, 2017
IMG_1507.jpeg

Let it be known this man is a fraud and bought out Rempe in a GM game. He doesn't believe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad