Player Discussion Matt Rempe - See Mod Note Post 769

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
I like Rempe as a player but that was a bad hit. He needs to play within himself a bit more. His size means he will never get the benefit of the doubt for a headshot. This hit felt a bit like Ryan Hollweg jumping off the bench and looking to hit anything and the last thing this league needs is a 6’7” Ryan Hollweg.
Awful take imo.

1) watch the replay and then ask yourself what would you suggest rempe other than just do a driveby and not even hit him

2) the league is a much much much much more entertaining product with guys like rempe and less figure skaters. Guys like rempe is what makes hockey unique and entertaining. More people will watch for guys like rempe than your standard 150 pound skill guy

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I think Rempe should’ve been more mindful on the hit. I get it, it’s his 3rd game on the big club, he doesn’t get a ton of ice time and he wants to make an impact. On the flip side, he’s someone that can strike fear in the opponent. He absolutely obliterated Siegenthaler with no effort.

Whole league took note last night.

Exactly the kind of mind games you want along with a winning streak and a bangin' record marching into the po's.

I'm so ready. I hope they green light this kid the rest of the year. Last night was a huge lesson and he and lavi and the boys will have a real talk. As much as I'm 'meh' on him outside of his crushing hits - Trouba putting on that captain hat for this kid is a good thing right now.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
The debbies played scared from that point on and avoided contact. Trouba sure AF didn't do their confidence any good after poor Bastian got caught with his head down again and not a single devil had the courage to do anything about it. Fights after huge hits are just the reality of the league now and it was criminal that Bastian had to take it on himself while already injured. Disgusting lack of fortitude and comradery from the little devils.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
So, I thought his hit today was really bad at first. The more I look at it, yes the elbow comes out but I don't think he's intentionally trying to murder Bastian. He's just a massive, massive guy who is quite a good skater (at any size).

If he adds weight and keeps his skating, I could actually see him putting guys in the hospital at some point.

That hit was all shoulder.

He was in a vulnerable position and the kid should have held up, but its not an elbow

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
The debbies played scared from that point on and avoided contact. Trouba sure AF didn't do their confidence any good after poor Bastian got caught with his head down again and not a single devil had the courage to do anything about it. Fights after huge hits are just the reality of the league now and it was criminal that Bastian had to take it on himself while already injured. Disgusting lack of fortitude and comradery from the little devils.
Completely agree. The Devils do not like contact. Happened last game too. They have a lot of talent, but at the end of the day they’re a soft team.

Last edited:

Priorae

Apr 21, 2017
New Jersey
I tend to think you can set a tone without a hit like that. It was not clean. In reverse we'd be losing our ever-loving minds.

I thought the call was right. Penalty and match. Seemed fair.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
I tend to think you can set a tone without a hit like that. It was not clean. In reverse we'd be losing our ever-loving minds.

I thought the call was right. Penalty and match. Seemed fair.
Strongly disagree. What does that even mean? "Set a tone without a hit like that?"
You mean like the little Kreider bumps? Those little checks don't set tones.
If we lose our minds after one of our players gets obliterated... it's not at the other team... we are losing our minds on our own team for not sticking up for one another.

It was a clean hit. Didn't leave his feet. Kept his elbow down .. Big boy ... big outcome...
About time we have one on our team.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Inthink some of y’all are pining for a league that doesn’t exist anymore. It was a penalty, he nailed a guy in the head while the guy was in a vulnerable spot. The way the league is now, they call that and that’s how it goes.
Absolutely fine if you don’t like or agree with that! But rempe will need to learn to play within what the league allows these days. No amount of internet posting and indignant “what was he supposed to do!”will keep him from getting penalized and booted again if this becomes his MO
it also put his team in a big hole at the start of the game and if the Devils weren’t trash right now they could have run away with the game right there. It’s “ok” because the rangers killed the major but if they hadn’t and had gone down 0-3, that’s bad!

Rempe meant to do it clean and I don’t have a problem with him throwing huge hits, but he’s gonna be extra scrutinized for them and has to time them right.

Reactions: Shadowtron

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Bastian needs to keep his head up. He's skating up the ice looking behind him. A

Also, WTF is the Devils bench doing as they seem Rempe coming. He passes right by their bench. No one is yelling?

Anyways, the hit deserved the major because it was a hit to the head, although not purposefully done. I can't imagine a suspension here. In saying that, keep doing it. It's time for this team to get a physical swagger and that kid has it. He takes no shit and he likes to give out punishment. Please continue.

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
I genuinely cannot believe people are complaining about this. I mean, his elbows are down, and short of ducking or magically losing a foot, what's the guy meant to do, never hit anyone and join the Frozen cast?

If we finally have someone who doesn't cost over 8 million and isn't actually allergic to hitting people, who also doesn't seem like an asshole deliberately out to hurt people, I am doing f***ing cartwheels.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I have no idea whether the NHL suspends him or not. It's not like he did what he did in a dirty way but he also did get his head. Whatever...if he's suspended he'll be back again and one thing for sure his presence for the foreseeable future will be a surefire way to trigger the Jersey Devils fanbase. We have two games left against them and I'm wondering which one of the Devils is going to challenge Rempe if he hasn't gone back to Hartford? Brendan Smith is crazy enough. Kevin Bahl is really big or even Nathan Bastian himself who isn't that small either. There's a decent likelihood though another Devils player is going to get chewed up and spit out.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
New cheat code: Keep your head down, and no one's allowed to hit you.

Really though, I understand calling a penalty there. I get questioning "what is he supposed to do there," and I think he's expected to pull up and not follow through on the hit. It's sorta dumb, but it is what it is.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Tough situation here for Rempe. Got the callup. Had a great tilt in front of 80,000 in his first game. Then, last nights hit which I think its going to garner a suspension. At least 2 games. Guess we will see. It was a Scott Stevens hit. Kind of hit that puts everyone on their feet. Deflates the other team. It was a clean hit if this was late 90's NHL. Elbows down, lead with the shoulder. Unfortunatly, that big shoulder caught Bastian in the face. Largely evidenced by the busted up beak afterwards.

Im hoping it won't get him a demotion back to the Pack.

With Rempe in the lineup, i think this might be the most physical club the team has employed in a very long time. The defense already consisting of Trouba who likely hold the crown as the most physical defenseman in the game today. Hes 4th in the league in Defensman in terms of # hits. Add Schneider who's 35th in the league in terms of # of hits and Miller who is now 38th in # hits among all Dmen. 3 out of 6 dmen up among the league leaders there. Throw in Lindgren who is a different type of physical player.

At forward, Cuylle leads all LW's in hits with 182. Kreider at 33 among all LW's. Add Trocheck who is 12th among all Centers. Goodrow who is 18th among all Centers. Rempe has only 3 games under his belt but has 22 in those 3 games. Edstrom only with 6 games has 19. In a full season, Rempe would likely lead the league there.

In a physical playoff series, i think this matters. Big physical forwards who DON'T lack skating ability can wear down the opposition. With guys that can play this style is going to get into the heads of opposing defenseman.

I think this was Drurys initial concept when he came aboard. A big physical team that can skate with anyone to complement a balanced group of players who can put the puck in the net.

The question is...can the core continue to score the big goals when the games matter. Will they continue to play bigger, when they have the physical guys to back them up?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad