Confirmed with Link: Mathieu Joseph traded to Blues

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Good luck to Joseph.
(You pos scumbag. Not how I feel but I guess that’s what you are around the league? ;) )

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I guess I will wait and see cause I really have a hard time following

Dreger mentionned that Staios told GMs he had a 1st and 2nd offer for Chychrun and then trades him for Jensen and a 3rd, and I honestly like Jensen…

Then this for Joseph, I dont think he was that bad and that much of a burden? I really wanna give Staios a shot but honestly he has lost every trade aside from Linus

I understand the « cleaning up » stuff but idk
Pretty sure he said he had a 1st and a 2nd but he didn't hoping to get someone to bite on it.. but that didn't happen either.
If he had a 1st and a 2nd I am sure he would have pulled the trigger

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Pinto's agents posturing was a last gasp attempt to get more for a player with zero leverage.

But as it turns out, there were no offer sheets available and now he has no arbitration rights.

So I'd expect a bridge at a team-friendly number in the coming weeks.
Martin really liked Pinto's game so I'd be good if they went longer term at a reasonable rate (similar to Batherson). Two-way right-shot Centers don't grow on trees.

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
We did, we signed one for 850k.

850k is closer to Joseph's real value, but he makes 2.95, which is why no teams wanted to take him on.

Sorry what comparable player other than ELC make 850k and get 0.5PPG? Gregor had 17P in 57G. Not comparable.

The Ullmark trade was so good that these other iffy deals can be stomached.

but let’s not pretend that Perron is worth $4M and Joseph 850k as the gap in value between these players is not 5x.

Reactions: Cosmix

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I think they're hoping that by bringing in more veteran leadership, it will help the core improve. G couldn't do it by himself. Doesn't hurt that Perron has won a cup and has some sandpaper to his game. Jenson is also a veteran who is a stay-at-home RD, something we really needed. I'm good with the roster changes.

Personally I don't buy any of the party culture stuff but if I did I doubt I'd be happy with a few third liners and 4th dman coming in to fix it.

Reactions: Cosmix

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I would wager that we're not out of it by November and should be playing meaningful hockey in March for a wild card spot. We're in a tough division and so many teams in the Atlantic have improved their rosters. It's going to be tough.
Chychrun just took Boston out of the running.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Future considerations……..

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
That's disappointing. Joseph should've had positive value around the league.

But, we need the cap. That's why it sucks when we overpay...500k here, one mil there...it adds up.

Going to miss his speed on the pk.

Reactions: senswon

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Wouldn't acceleration be the better label than quickness? I would associate acceleration with speed bursts and separation speed and quickness with agility such as quick cuts in different directions. Or maybe they are both intertwined.
You are right to identify acceleration as a key skating factor, as is straight line speed. None of these are mutually exclusive. A blessed player has strong degrees of all. You've also considered other skills like overall agility, ability to move, cut, change directions, leverage use one's edges? What about strength on one's skates - not being knocked off kilter? A vital factor to consider too, one often overlooked when talking speed, is what happens to that same player when they are given a puck? Pundits rave about how Connor McDavid is not only ridiculously fast without the puck but also same when he carries it. For others the puck becomes a boat anchor.

Last edited:
Reactions: RAFI BOMB

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
For all those lamenting losing speed from the lineup with the loss of Joseph,

From NHL Edge stats:

Top speed Joseph:
2024: 22.85
2023: 22.86
2022: 22.74

So he's fast, but I think we've glorified just how fast he is.

Greig
2024: 22.87

Ostapchuk
2024: 22.92

Norris
2024: 22.95
2022: 23.14

Stutzle
2024: 23.47
2023: 23.16

Gregor
2024: 22.97
2023: 23.62
2022: 23.03

Heck, league average is 22.03 to 22.10 depending on the year, we have guys that you might not expect who are above average

Batherson:
2024: 22.64
2023: 22.45

Tkachuk
2024: 22.37

Also, to put "real" fast in perspective:

Formenton
2022: 24.21

McDavid
2024: 24.19
2023:24.16
2022:24.14
Every player can skate fast when they get going lol. It's his acceleration and ability to win short races. That's what the NHL is, small bursts. Obviously McDavid is fast. These coping posts are so strange. You don't have to alter reality to feel good about the move. There was obviously more too why they let him go than just his on ice play. He's a very fast player and they didn't want him around. Both can be true.

The eye test says he’s very fast though, way faster than average, he blows by defenders to create breakaways. And short-handed chances galore.

And boo for bringing up Formenton. Such a loss for nothing, I wish he had made better decisions (or wasn’t an offender, not trying to reopen a can of worms here)
Why even watch the games anymore. Its these types of arguments cherry picking stats that take so much credibility away from advanced stats.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Sorry what comparable player other than ELC make 850k and get 0.5PPG? Gregor had 17P in 57G. Not comparable.

The Ullmark trade was so good that these other iffy deals can be stomached.

but let’s not pretend that Perron is worth $4M and Joseph 850k as the gap in value between these players is not 5x.
There are 0, poster can't help himself defend everything at nauseum and can't be honest in the discussion while he is at it. 35 point players who are good pkers and can produce offense at even strength don't cost 950 k.

Reactions: Mr Hat and Icelevel

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Every player can skate fast when they get going lol. It's his acceleration and ability to win short races. That's what the NHL is, small bursts. Obviously McDavid is fast. These coping posts are so strange. You don't have to alter reality to feel good about the move. There was obviously more too why they let him go than just his on ice play. He's a very fast player and they didn't want him around. Both can be true.

Why even watch the games anymore. Its these types of arguments cherry picking stats that take so much credibility away from advanced stats.
Nobody is altering reality, just stating the facts. What's strange is the sky is falling crowd over an inconsistent 3rd liner. I think we'll miss him on the PK but some here are making the loss auch bigger deal than it actually is.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'm gonna put my head in the sand and believe that Staois had no option. He had to clear cap and this was the guy to clear it so he can sign Pinto. Nevermind that he signed a similar player in UFA, but still...this is his guy to clear cap.

Otherwise Staois is a tool and I don't want to believe that.
Joseph did NOT have to be traded to sign Pinto! Pinto's contract was covered by existing cap dollars. Many may not like Joseph but making shit up to justify his trading is bullshit!

Joseph was traded to do something else; we do not know what it is.

Personally I don't buy any of the party culture stuff but if I did I doubt I'd be happy with a few third liners and 4th dman coming in to fix it.
I have not seen any evidence of it; seems like BS being put forward.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Joseph did NOT have to be traded to sign Pinto! Pinto's contract was covered by existing cap dollars. Many may not like Joseph but making shit up to justify his trading is bullshit!

I think without trading Joseph, we'd be right to the cap and need to run a 20 man roster. Not ideal,

We could have bought out Hamonic and only carried 6 D as an alternative,

Tbh, I just think they wanted to focus on hard to play against, and while Joseph does bring an element of speed, he isn't hard to play against in the way a guy like say Cousins is.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

Staois doesn't like to operate right up against the cap, it looks like. And also probably wants another F and another D.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He's paced as a 30 point player in his career. Last year was probably the peak of what you get out of him and he wasn't very good the year prior. I see why people are upset about the value and optics, but clearly management identified him as the piece to alleviate cap space, maybe for reasons we're unaware of, and while the price to dump him stinks, we'll be fine without him.

Reactions: LiseL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad