Marner's Next Contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

When does Marner sign?

• Total voters

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
You mention cup rings and I thought I would point out that McDavid has won zero. I know it's easy to throw out stuff like that but you cant say Kucherov deserves more money because of cup wins while ignoring that fact that the statement fails with McDavid in a rather large way.
It is kind of a random criticism to point to a great player with an anomalously low contract while ignoring the better player who is paid more
You are right I just never thought McDavid was a Kutcherov comparable. Nobody is IMO. Kutch and Marner were comparables but IMO Kutch is a closer to McDavid than Marner is with or without the cup rings.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
marner has enough time every year, he could probably double his money on the PGA tour.
Two sport athlete where most tournaments won't overlap from middle of April until middle of October.
He's a terrible golfer.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
marner has enough time every year, he could probably double his money on the PGA tour.
Two sport athlete where most tournaments won't overlap from middle of April until middle of October.
Not sure what his golf game is like. Probably talks too much.
On a side note, Lafferty is a scratch golfer which puts him 5 or 6 stokes behind a pro. Maybe he could.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Per 60 metrics still matter just as much. Absolutely nothing has changed.
Just as we did with the Leaf contracts, we need to consider their per-60 metrics on the PP as well.
By per-60 metrics, McDavid is hands down the best PP player this league has seen in decades. That can't be ignored.
The only one attempting to alter the method of evaluation now is you.
Marner is 8th in the entire league when it comes to ppp/60 this year.

Wow. That's pretty crazy. VERY close to McDavid tier. Significantly higher than Matthews or MacKinnon.

Using YOUR /60 stats (lol... we will NOT forget Dekes), how much do you think Marner deserves on his next contract over 8 years?

No spin. No propaganda. Just answer. What do you think is a fair aav?

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Wow. That's pretty crazy. VERY close to McDavid tier. Significantly higher than Matthews or MacKinnon.

Using YOUR /60 stats (lol... we will NOT forget Dekes), how much do you think Marner deserves on his next contract over 8 years?

This is in 2 years, and supposed to be a substantial Cap increase.

13.5 * 8 + C

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Good luck!

:popcorn:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Marner is 8th in the entire league when it comes to ppp/60 this year. Wow. That's pretty crazy. VERY close to McDavid tier.
Marner is at 8.02 PP points per 60 this year, and 6.73 PP points per 60 over the past 3 years.
That is very, very good and an elite level, but stills falls well behind McDavid's mind-boggling 12.85 this year, and 10.44 over the past 3. He is at a level on the PP not seen since at least Lemieux.
Per 60 metrics are not "mine". That should be pretty clear, since you're getting them off the NHL's official website. They are widely utilized and valuable.
As for Marner's contract, it's still way too early to predict where it will fall. He still has over 2 years left on his current contract, and at the very least, the rest of this year and next year to play out, which will impact what he gets. We also don't yet know where the cap will be when he signs. Currently, he's tracking to earn one of the biggest UFA cap hit percentages though.

Reactions: authentic

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
Explain Pasta signing to 11.25m --- He is also a superior player to Marner and because I said that Marner should have his wages frozen on the next contract I am attacking Mitch or something crazy?

Ok whatever I am the loon, crazy ideas about being responsible of the cap and that Keefe isn't a good coach. That we don't need focus on our tending or balance the team out a bit better. I am just a crazy with wild ideas and all the examples I show don't count because reasons.

I get it. It's fine.
Seriously dude .... Not to take anything away from Pasta's great season but Marners been the far better player every . single. year. And even this year Marners 3 points behind and chasing him down .

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Seriously dude .... Not to take anything away from Pasta's great season but Marners been the far better player every . single. year. And even this year Marners 3 points behind and chasing him down .
Pasta @ 6.5m > Mitch @ 10.893.

1679608660510.png

Mitch

1679608692446.png

Reactions: ShaneFalco

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Pasta is or was Nylanders comparable . He got overpaid considering on his new deal if he wasn't putting up a great season , this season . The post I replied to was at his new salary .
One is an elite goal scorer with a bit of an edge while the other is an elite play maker and PKer. Tough to choose between the two at the same salary.

Reactions: studebaker17

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
One is an elite goal scorer with a bit of an edge while the other is an elite play maker and PKer. Tough to choose between the two at the same salary.
Currently , today . Over their careers marners been better .
The playing with an edge part I acknowledge . It's what usually separates the nice guys who finish last from the winners like it or not. That said , it's not an evaluation in a salary negotiation other than how much does a gm value it before he walks away .

Reactions: ToneDog

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

They jumped the shark now.

It's as if they don't think double the goal production matters. Pasta is a top player in the league and that's just the way it is. I wish they would go into the main forum and start the thread Marner is better than Pasta. It would be quite interesting.

You take the goal scorer. You always take the goal scorer.

We're talking about an Elite player that is practically 50/50 on G v A. That produces top end in the PO and has great defensive ability. Playing on more stingy team. Half of Marners A's 2nds

Just going to toss this one in here as well ... Pastrnak, Kaprizov or Marner? Execs, players rank the top NHL wingers

Last edited:

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Pretty specious comparison given that Pasta is a year younger. Shift the performance a year and see how it is tracking
Isn't Marner a year younger. Pasta went straight to the NHL his first year. Like I said, different types of players. If you value assists over goals, Marner is your man. If you value goals, then it is Pasta. At 4.3m less, it is Pasta.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
You are right I just never thought McDavid was a Kutcherov comparable. Nobody is IMO. Kutch and Marner were comparables but IMO Kutch is a closer to McDavid than Marner is with or without the cup rings.
Kucherov's defense is in the 9th percentile in the last 3 years. If you close your eyes to that, you are making the observation you are currently making

Reactions: ToneDog

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Kucherov's defense is in the 9th percentile in the last 3 years. If you close your eyes to that, you are making the observation you are currently making

Kucherov and Pasta are better NHL hockey players as well as wingers than Mitchell Marner. This is universally accepted as fact by credible people around the league.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I agree we can't put ourselves into cap hell again when we re-sign these players.

But the problem being Marner should never have been at nearly $11 mil for buying just 2 years of UFA status. Dubas botched that deal badly because a year earlier Marner camp was asking for the Draisaitl deal of 8 years at $8.5 mil, which Dubas turned down, while according to reports on HNIC that $7.5 mil was the teams offer range based on current comparbles at the time.

Then he allows Marner coming off 60+ point seasons to put up 90+ season playing along side Tavares and his $11 mil, and then signs Matthews first to his $11.6 deal and Marner suddenly has all this new leverage and says Matthews is my only comparable and where is my $11 mil also as I can put as many points or more than my teammates.

Marner should really be locked up for 2 additional years at $8.5 mil beyond his current deal. Then based on his past deal we would be talking raise based on that figure and not raise based on $10.9 mil current.
If you look at the timing of the Matthews signing, it came fairly quickly after the Nylander deal.

I'm guessing Dubas didn't want to have to face down both Matthews and Marner at the same time, so caved to Matthews and just gave him what he wanted. Which, although I don't like it, is a comparable contract given to other elite players of his caliber coming off their ELC.

Rumours of intervention from above regarding the Marner contract may or may not be true. If Dubas caved to ownership, that's on him. I'm pretty certain that he wasn't going to win another lengthy standoff after caving to Nylander at the last minute. Stupidly promised not to trade him in order to get him to sign.

Who does that?

Who gives a verbal promise to the player that just held out longer than anyone in modern NHL history that they won't get traded?

And then actually keeps the promise.

Dubas kept that promise to Nylander despite enormous pressure to trade him over the years.

I wonder how Nylander will repay him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad