Player Discussion Marner

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Short memory? Sportsnet is already tracking it. Two consecutive playoffs they have posted his distance from the net in the postseason. Heres the headline from last years:

Dont get too emotional when you read the quote below from the article..it does indicate Marner is a "wild outlier".

Thoughts after Toronto’s Game 3 loss: Go to the net, Mitch
When the Leafs lost in last year’s playoffs, I wrote about how their core players struggled to get in close to the net. But really, Marner was a wild outlier compared to the other three. These were their average shot distances (measured in feet from the net on average) in last year’s playoffs, compared to the regular season:
no I remember reading your posts about it, saturday night was a good reminder though that impactful plays can be made from the blueline though (imo)

Reactions: francis246

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
They have Matthews and Nylander signed for 3 more yrs so the likelihood of them winning soon is very low so if the wheels fall completely off this year I would be looking for good young talent (especially D) and draft picks to play with Knies, Minton , Cowan and hopefully Woll.

I want a number 1 D, but not a 28 yr old

Doesn't everyone!

Unless drafted, going to continue to be a fantasy.

Anyway, Little m, will re-sign, so only Tavares money will be available anyway.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
If it looked worse live there would be extensive footage posted not a no context, meaningless still frame.
Everyone knows the silly games played here, we see them every day.
He passed out of an open net in a prime shooting position. You work all PP to get the opportunity he passed out of.

We saw it live, lots of GDT comments, and follow up stills on a few hockey sites.

Doesn't need to be much more than that. Shit happens.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
If this was at all true, we’d have no threads open on here. But nice try to portray yourself as a victim of the moderation when you very clearly are not whatsoever.
It was happening, not sure who or why. However, enough posters complained and finally they were permitted to stay open.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
It looked far worse live.

I was watching in real time and saw the cross ice pass to a wide open net and then he does a slap pass back to the point?

Almost turned the game off right there

Mitch Marner is the hockey equivalent of Ben Simmons right now
Reminder how he got last years high ankle sprain:

Reactions: stickty111

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
One isn't available. So losing Marner doesn't get you that. It gets you things that make you wish you had Marner again.
Marner isn't even remotely close to a 12 million dollar player. His p/60 goes from 12th in the season to 42nd in the playoffs. His g/60 goes from 104th in the season to 205th in the playoffs.

Paying him 12 million would make him a top 5 player in the league, come playoff time he's not even top 50, especially when you factor in he doesn't hit, he doesn't fight and just in general he is a cowardly overpaid spoiled little brat.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
no I remember reading your posts about it, saturday night was a good reminder though that impactful plays can be made from the blueline though (imo)

That 4vs4 assist to Reilly - This is Marners new go to move, attack and then quickly reverse back, almost like a bball players drop shot. It worked here, however, Marner tried this move often vs Boston in the playoffs and more often than not they stole the puck because playoffs defense is tighter and faster. Its a "cute" play and im not a fan. Marner just looks like he only knows how to play globetrotter hockey. Its pretty obvious why he struggles in playoff hockey.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Marner isn't even remotely close to a 12 million dollar player. His p/60 goes from 12th in the season to 42nd in the playoffs. His g/60 goes from 104th in the season to 205th in the playoffs.

Paying him 12 million would make him a top 5 player in the league, come playoff time he's not even top 50, especially when you factor in he doesn't hit, he doesn't fight and just in general he is a cowardly overpaid spoiled little brat.
Kucherov makes 9.5 and we are gonna pay Marner 12?

Watch Marner vs Kucherov highlights. Kucherov looks like Marner on steroids:

Last year, Kucherov had more assists than Marner has ever had points. This is just highlights of Kucherovs 100 assists... he also had 44 goals last year..but remember everyone, Marner always almost hits 100 points!:

sunstersun

May 12, 2017

Last year, Kucherov had more assists than Marner has ever had points. This is just highlights of Kucherovs 100 assists... he also had 44 goals last year..but remember everyone, Marner always almost hits 100 points!:

The one timer in the first highlights is all I need to know lol.

Marner with a Kuch shot would be 110-120 points easily.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

That’s what happens when you get mad instead of sad when faced with adversity. Give me Kucherov in the penalty box for a cheap shot over Marner sobbing on the bench any day.

Reactions: stickty111

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Berube acknowledged that he called Marner’s number too often in Boston. Marner played 26 minutes and 12 seconds, the most ice time he has had in one game in more than two years. “I overused him,” Berube said. “With the penalty kill and overtime, it got a little extended and that’s on me to try to work that (out) a little bit more. I have to not use him so much on the penalty kill, but he is an extremely good penalty killer.” …

• Love
Reactions: Confucius

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Regarding the Marner being overused on PK comment by Berube.. yea, you have to work with what you are given. This is what hes given:

13.5 Matthews
11.5 Nylander
11 Tavares
10.893 Marner
-------‐----------------
3.7 Domi
2.4 Kampf
2.1 Jarnkrok
1.35 McMann
1.3 Reaves
1.1 Dewar
.925 Knies
.875 Robertson
.873 Patches

Berube is playing Marner with Matthews because it’s the best fit for the roster - shooter with passer, and who can play center (Nylander with Domi, Tavares centering the third line, Matthews with Marner). Also, to make this roster successful, Berube absolutely needs Marner to produce, and Marner's mental struggles are well-documented. last thing Berube needs is for one of his 11+ million players to have a bad year. So it makes sense that he is gonna do whatever he can do get Marner producing and rolling. Even Keefe last year pointed out how Marner has lows every season where he struggles and they need to get him out of the funks. Which meant always putting him back wuth Matthews, even when Matthews was rolling with other lines.

Recall, however, that by the end of Keefe’s tenure, when playoff success became the measuring stick, his preference was to separate Matthews and Marner. And similarly towards the end of Dubas’ time, there were reports that he wanted to move Marner.

Berube’s short-term focus makes sense for this teams short term success, but it probably means the same postseason results. Additionally, having Marner propped up by Matthews in a contract year is not good for the team long term.

Maybe playing Marner without Matthews for a whole year would give a better understanding to what his real value is on the market.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Always said Berube loves Mitch.
He's always been a coaches favourite.
Coaches are always going to give their best players the most minutes.
This is a bit of a disconnect for some since they struggle in identifying the best players.

Reactions: Confucius

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Always said Berube loves Mitch.
Berube likes Marner’s penalty killing, but there's no way a coach who wants his players to play north-south, avoid being cute, and be physical "loves" Mitch Marner. In fact, Berube often talks about certain players being too cute and playing east-west.

Shocker—could it be that Berube appreciates parts of Marner’s game while disliking others?

No, that couldn’t be possible. You can only love or hate a player! Nothing in between!

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Again, what Ferris actually said is "That is one of the factors that you bring into it, that there is a comparison of players on his team". Not exclusively. Not who. Not whether all attempted comparables were accepted by the team. Not how they were compared, or that status was ignored. Not what other comparables and factors Marner's side brought into the negotiations. Not what comparables and factors the team's side brought into the negotiations. Not how the contract was formed. Not that Marner's contract was inflated or constrained by internal contracts, or derived from UFA contracts.

The only information you actually have is that, according to Ferris, one of the factors that Marner' side wanted to bring into the negotiation were teammate comparisons. And that Marner's contract doesn't correlate with Tavares, but does correlate with the history of post-ELC contracts.
lets see what dubas says about that

Kyle Dubas Regrets John Tavares Signing; Calls It His Biggest Mistake With Maple Leafs

In Craig Custance’s upcoming book, “The Franchise: The Business of Building Winning Teams,” former Toronto Maple Leafs General Manager Kyle Dubas opens up about his biggest regret: not securing contract extensions for Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner, and William Nylander before signing free agent John Tavares.

The biggest mistake I think I’ve made in my whole time here has been not taking care of the three incumbent contracts,” Dubas told Custance. “(William) Nylander was up, (Mitch) Marner and (Auston) Matthews could have been done on July 1 extensions.”
Dubas laments not making more progress on all of those before Tavares, though he did talk to the trio about the impact winning the J.T. sweepstakes would have on their future standing.
The thing I learned was once we signed John to the (AAV) we did, it lifted the lid on the entire ceiling,” he said
????

It clearly doesn't. Your whole argument was about what Ferris said, but instead of actually looking at what Ferris said, you found an article that says something that Ferris didn't say, and then you have taken the claim in that article that is contrary to Ferris' actual words and twisted it further to suggest something that absolutely nobody has ever said. It's like you're trying to play a bad game of broken telephone when the actual words are right in front of you.
again. right from the horses mouth

Nothing has said that. Only you.
who should we believe... kyle dubas himself... or you, and imaginary sexy kyle dubas?

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
One isn't available. So losing Marner doesn't get you that. It gets you things that make you wish you had Marner again.
Maybe you should read what I said.
Trading him for draft pieces is dumb, not getting a great dman in return then he stays...but at what price, is 15m too much, 14m, 13m.
At some point money is an issue if we need to win, and do not wish to wait 15 more years. Losing Mitchy and JT and adding 3 forwards WORTH 7.5 each may make us a better team.
Mitchy cannot be considered untouchable...did you see this week's games. We need help.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Maybe you should read what I said.
Trading him for draft pieces is dumb, not getting a great dman in return then he stays...but at what price, is 15m too much, 14m, 13m.
At some point money is an issue if we need to win, and do not wish to wait 15 more years. Losing Mitchy and JT and adding 3 forwards WORTH 7.5 each may make us a better team.
Mitchy cannot be considered untouchable...did you see this week's games. We need help.

20 best UFA’s available in 2025.

Unless it’s Bennett/Boeser and Chychrun who is another LHD or straight up Rantanen. I don’t see anyone in UFA that makes our team better than just keeping Marner.

As much as I like Ekblad, when’s the last time he’s played a full 82? We gonna give 9 million to him who’s close to 30 and declining?

You’re better to trade Marner for draft capital and a young player IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad