Player Discussion Marner

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Yup. And as has been said many times, it's not only on Marner, he just happens to be the most glaring example of someone who folds under pressure.

I can't be bothered to crunch Marner's numbers right now but his production goes roughly like this:

Regular season:
~100 point pace - excellent

Playoffs, first 4 games:
~95 point pace, in line with the ~5% drop in scoring that comes in the playoffs - still excellent

Playoffs, after 4 games:
~40 point pace, falls off a cliff WTF disaster

There have been some weird posts ITT but that's definitely one of the stranger this I've read here. Can't wait for the explanation/spin on this one.

Ask any hockey player and they'll tell you that there's nothing like a game 7. It's the highest pressure situation a hockey player will ever be in, and at the same it's exciting, exhilarating, it's what they have been dreaming about and hoping to experience since they were kids. Amazing that some people think that game 7 is the same as any other game.

It's like he's afraid of contact or something. I wish he had a bit of Doug Gilmour's fearlessness in him, he'd be an incredible player.
It's very telling that Marner fans love to point to his playoff points as proof he's the most valuable Leaf, yet they avoid breaking down the goals those points came from. If you actually review them, the most replaceable player in the sequence is almost always Marner, while the standout play,the elite moment—comes from his teammates. Marner fans know this, which is why, despite my asking them repeatedlyto review the goals, they all refuse.

• Haha
Reactions: francis246

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
It's very telling that Marner fans love to point to his playoff points as proof he's the most valuable Leaf, yet they avoid breaking down the goals those points came from. If you actually review them, the most replaceable player in the sequence is almost always Marner, while the standout play,the elite moment—comes from his teammates. Marner fans know this, which is why, despite my asking them repeatedlyto review the goals, they all refuse.
Sam Howell threw for 4000 yards last season. Sometimes stats can be deceiving

Reactions: arso40

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
1729465761238.png

Is 0.4 expected goals per 60 good ?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
When you are primarily someone driving play and setting up others and the other two people on your line are #1 and #4 on this list, yes, it is really good.
So Domi at 0.5 driving plays and setting up others and the other two people in his line are #2 and #3 (with a higher combined than #1 and #4) is even better.

Reactions: arso40 and thewave

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
So Domi at 0.5 driving plays and setting up others and the other two people in his line are #2 and #3 (with a higher combined than #1 and #4) is even better.

ummmm... Knies/Matthews/Marner has a higher xGF/60 than any other line.

#1 - 4.55 for Knies/Matthews/Marner
#2 - 3.86 for Domi/Tavares/Nylander

That's a big gap.

You may want to look into the stats a little more before posting.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
ummmm... Knies/Matthews/Marner has a higher xGF/60 than any other line.

#1 - 4.55 for Knies/Matthews/Marner
#2 - 3.86 for Domi/Tavares/Nylander

That's a big gap.

You may want to look into the stats a little more before posting.

Are you making the jokes?

I hope the line with all that money on it is .7 better. Don't count the net negative JT towards anything.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Curious what the stat with the bmw line is

58.3% xGF%, 3.8 xGF/60

Third best line.

Switching out McMann and Tavares basically makes no difference.

They look better on the stat sheet than most because McMann and Nylander have really high shooting %, but they are still dominating play.

Tavares/Holmberg/Robertson has been the worst line by a mile.

Ad

Ad

Ad